islander033    2
That is not actually true I have had things like that happen in both cars and boats a problem occurs but the computer does not flag it for some. Reason..... Good luck

From my understanding, as soon as the unit gets to the shop they check and clear the codes. Then they run it up and if the code re-appears then that is what they will try and fix. If the code doesn't come back then it isn't a concern that will be addressed.

I have had this problem with trucks in the past, the mechanics were either incapable or not allowed to fix anything that the computer doesn't tell them to fix. Especially if it is a warranty item.

I am hoping for better luck soon. Thanks.

islander033    2
I don't know what the answer is. Owning a dealership and trying to attract mechanics must be tough in Alberta with the labour shortage. Atlantis now has a shop manager and I was promised when I bought this boat this spring that things would be better ( I bought a boat last spring from Shipwreck and things didn't go well). You could try Wizard Lake Marine (malibu) they are great people but I'm sure they need to take care of thier customers first. One other option is there is a PCM mechanic at Shalom Park (waterski park by Devon) that does all the work on Tige's for Hyperactive Watersports.

I might end up going to other (non-centurion) shops once all of my centurion related issues are taken care of.

Thanks for the list of other shops in the area.

Edited by islander033

islander033    2

I checked the engine oil today. It was full but there seemed to be a whole lot of 'sludge' suspended in the oil and on the dip stick. This to me appears to be tiny metal filings. I have never seen oil that looked like this before in any engine new or old.

I called the shop and explained to the manager what I had seen in the oil and he was trying to tell me that this is somewhat normal. Even for 4 hours on the meter.

I am starting to think that my problems are more than just sensors. Maybe I have a lemon on my hands.

SV216    1

I took my new enzo to Shalom Park ( Ken Nelson 780-955-9428) to get my gel coat repairs done, he does a fine job and is very critical of his work. I also spoke to some people that were there from Calgary and they said they wouldn't take their boat to anyone else. He is certified to work on Tige' and Natiques but I think he will work on just about anything. He is only one guy but he eats, sleeps and breaths boats and waterskiing so he knows where a boat owner is coming from when they need service.

SV216    1

I don't know islander, I have 15hrs on mine now and the oil still looks like new.

islander033    2
I don't know islander, I have 15hrs on mine now and the oil still looks like new.

I am sure that is how the oil is supposed to look, not all sludgy and full of crud.

I have started negotiations on switching out this boat for another new old stock '07 or an '08. Everything else has been a bit of a sh!t show so far. We will see how this goes.

Edited by islander033

Islander - hope this makes you feel better (even though I am still a little concerned) but the same happened to me.

At almost exactly 4 hours on my Faclon with Black Scorpion engine.

I checked the oil before heading out and it was all sludgy - when I actually checked the oil closey (by rubbing in my fingers) I found it was just crud not metal - this made me feel a little better.

My dealer warned me beforehand that sometimes the oil looks cruddy as the engines are not pre-broke in like cars and Mercury uses special cylinder coatings. Anyways I was still very concerned, so I called the boat hot line before I would start my boat. The service shop (on hotline) informed me to continue to run the boat, as I did not actually see metal filings. The guy also told me to keep an eye on the oil and let the dealer know about it when it goes in for its' 20 hour service.

I continued to run the boat and the sludge cleaned up in less than ~ 1 minute and has not come back - I ran the boat all that day and again that night - and put on ~ 3 or 4 more hours. I have not been back since though...

Some things I have been told since this happened:

1. the oils they use for break in have some gear oil type additives to pick up filings and collect some of the sludge from break-in and this can be typical of gear oils. I was also told that is likely why the engine manufacturer is so prescript that they want the oil changed after 20 hours and not really before. They want the gear oil in to collect the trash, but do not want it in to long as does not have the viscosity protection of other oils and there will be too much trash in oil/filter.

2. The oil filter did its' job.

3. Make sure the dealer cuts open my filter and checks for filings when it goes in for the 20 hour service. The service tech I talked to wanted me to inform the dealer of the condition so they perform this. If there are filings I ill want to document it with both Centurion and Mercury, so if I have issues down the road I have grounds to point back to manufacturer defects....

4. Once contacted I was given pretty good advice - but waited ~ 4hours for them to get back to me on this issue (it ws a Sunday on a long weekend of course).

Again - hope that makes you feel better. The optimist in me tells me that this condition happens to all boats during break-in - what may be different is that you an I both shut down at ~ the 4hour mark (thats why I was acually glad to hear someone has had the same issue) when the crap probably comes off the cylinder walls and filter did not have a chance to clean up the oil.

Please let me know if this clears up for you, or if you have other issues - I will do the same for you!

islander033    2

Thanks for trying to make me feel better Bob. The gritty crud did not clean up after I ran it again.

I was talking to a non-marine mechanic and he was saying that the oil filter can get so clogged that it would eventually bypass and never clean up. If it gets that far I am sure that my engine will not last too long. Or last just long enough to get off warranty.

I will try to get them to switch oil filters and cut the old one open to look for metal filings and other junk. Either way I just don't feel good about all that 'grit' passing through all the bearings and such.

Kevin Baugh    78

Why not just change the oil and filter?

islander033    2
Why not just change the oil and filter?

I am on that, but I am afraid that the damage is already done.

The shop says not to worry about it "just run it, it's under warranty if it craters". The my problem is that I would lose the rest of the short summer if it does. This shop is super slow at getting anything done.

Example: 3 months and I just got my damaged seat back, 3 months and I am still waiting on my replacement speaker kick panels (inserts), almost 5 weeks and my speedo still doesn't work, almost 5 weeks and my engine guardian still beeps at me all the time (doesn't go critical though). So if my engine craps out I might get back on the water for next summer.

This is why I might pay a bit more and get another new boat that has way fewer issues with it, or at least no critical issues.

yeah - I know that feeling - that is what was going through my mind at the end of the dock - and I did not like the 'just run it' answer I got either...

islander033    2

New problem reared it's ugly head today.

I dinged up my prop......

post-115-1213677111_thumb.jpgpost-115-1213677119_thumb.jpgpost-115-1213677126_thumb.jpg

I was in the Sylvan marina getting ready to load the boat onto the trailer after a real good day of boating. It was a sh!t show as usual. As soon as my trailer was backing down the launch someones 'ski supreme' had a run away and the dude had to jump into the water to get it back. So I was on route to load when I had to take evasive manuvers to miss the supreme and I didn't see how deep the trailer was put in until I was almost right ontop of it. It didn't seem to much deeper than usual....maybe an inch or two more. So instead of aborting the load I continued onto the trailer. Before I got all the way to the front (in gear at idle) I heard the prop hit off something. Put the tranny in neutral and winched the rest of the way on. Pulled out and the prop is now in need of help.

I'm sure it can be fixed, and maybe the marine will pick up the tab for the repair, but I doubt that will happen.

Does anyone have a good guess at the repair cost?

WakeDoc    471
New problem reared it's ugly head today.

I dinged up my prop......

HPIM1211.JPGHPIM1212.JPGHPIM1213.JPG

I was in the Sylvan marina getting ready to load the boat onto the trailer after a real good day of boating. It was a sh!t show as usual. As soon as my trailer was backing down the launch someones 'ski supreme' had a run away and the dude had to jump into the water to get it back. So I was on route to load when I had to take evasive manuvers to miss the supreme and I didn't see how deep the trailer was put in until I was almost right ontop of it. It didn't seem to much deeper than usual....maybe an inch or two more. So instead of aborting the load I continued onto the trailer. Before I got all the way to the front (in gear at idle) I heard the prop hit off something. Put the tranny in neutral and winched the rest of the way on. Pulled out and the prop is now in need of help.

I'm sure it can be fixed, and maybe the marine will pick up the tab for the repair, but I doubt that will happen.

Does anyone have a good guess at the repair cost?

That SUCKS!!! did you walk over to the ski supreme in the parking lot and wack one of his blades with a hammer...LMAO...now that would have been funny.

duramat    462

islander~ I know the feeling! about $150. I bought a new prop and sent the damaged one back. Infact Im actually using my rebuilt right now. (Why? I dont have a good answer other than the new one is going to do the same thing?)

http://www.miwheel.com/

good luck :(

Edited by duramat

islander033    2
That SUCKS!!! did you walk over to the ski supreme in the parking lot and wack one of his blades with a hammer...LMAO...now that would have been funny.

lol, the ski supreme run away is quite normal around here (it is always something coming in or out of that launch). I am more upset with the marina being set up in a way that my prop can be dinged like that on the launch itself.

islander033    2
islander~ I know the feeling! about $150. I bought a new prop and sent the damaged one back. Infact Im actually using my rebuilt right now. (Why? I dont have a good answer other than the new one is going to do the same thing?)

http://www.miwheel.com/

good luck :(

Thanks Duramat, $150.0 doesn't sound too bad, my trailer driver will pay half due to it being a team effort.

zapisor    43

Islander are you cursed? :(

islander033    2
Islander are you cursed? :(

Yes either the boat or me are cursed.....in fact probably both.

Got the prop off this morning with a bit of persuasion (2x4x4 and a rubber hammer). Got it to the prop shop and now I won't see it again for about a month. I am about #200 in the line up.

No shops in the area have an adequate replacement prop in stock that I can buy for the time being. I could get one in about 10 days but I should be away to work by then for 3 weeks which will be when the old one will be fixed.

So I am on the side lines until late July. Maybe by then the other issues will be fixed on the boat and the rest of the summer will be smooth sailing.....err.....boating.

zapisor    43

Call Atlantis in Edmonton and ask for Andy, they have one hanging on the wall

islander033    2
Call Atlantis in Edmonton and ask for Andy, they have one hanging on the wall

I called them and they want +/-$700.00. It seems a bit steep. I guess I will wait for mine to get fixed.

Thanks, for the info though.