tank222

Tower's Is Cracked On Both Sides

It is just like the car companies and tires. They do not warranty the tires, you have to take it to the tire dealer for that manufacturer. Remember the Ford and Firestone deal a few years ago. It almost put Firestone out of business, but you had to go them to get the tires replaced.

It is no different than the MerCruiser engine being covered by them instead of Centurion and my trailer being covered by Boatmate and not Centurion. They are all products purchased by Centurion not manufactured by them. I am sure Centurion uses there leverage on them to do the right thing but when they go out of business out of the blue it then becomes a impossible thing for them to do.

tank222    2

So Ive talked to centurion shell they have no parts, Ive talked to extreme towers who bought all of metcrafts tools to make the products for centurion and mailbu and tige but they are only making parts for tige at the moment. So i'm stuck at the moment.

LakeSurfer    10
So Ive talked to centurion shell they have no parts, Ive talked to extreme towers who bought all of metcrafts tools to make the products for centurion and mailbu and tige but they are only making parts for tige at the moment. So i'm stuck at the moment.

Sorry to hear that. I have an Evolution tower and am keeping my fingers cross. Maybe one of these would be an option for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SKI-CENTURI...essoriesQ5fGear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMINUM-87...essoriesQ5fGear

Edited by LakeSurfer

islander033    2

If any of these towers works for you, just send GLS an offer.....they are decent to work with.

tank222    2

So centurion say's to buy a new tower they are $1595.00.. So I order one from centurion then it breaks again in 80 Hrs. cowpie

So Centurion has towers to sell you. That seems odd to me as they have been telling others on here that they do not have anymore. Are you sure they said they would sell you one?

I just looked at the links above and I see them for 1195.00 and 995.00. What is odd is that yesterday they where 1595.00 When I looked at some of them. Are you sure they where not talking about one of these? I bet Centurion knows about that website and is trying to help you out the best way they can without any source to get you warranty from? Doesn't that make sense?

tank222    2

I guess actually Centurion Does not have the towers this is the email I received yesterday.

Russell

We have searched everywhere today. I also contacted my NC factory and

they do not have it either. Here is the response that I received from

my GM:

He will need to buy a complete tower. As the part that is broken where

it swivels is part of the main casting.

Have him call:

Great Lakes Skipper

262-898-1855

Part # *GLS Stock # 1015141 1595.00

Shell

My boat barley has over 100 hrs on it.

h20king    794

if you decide to replace the tower the cheaper double up tower will do the job these towers are rock solid made by skylon who is still in business and will give you a lot of extra head room and will open up more choices for tower accesories

WakeDoc    471

Tank222 before you get to far down the road of buying a new tower, have you looked into have the tower repaired? I find it hard to believe that the tower could not be repairded by a fabrication shop, then sand blasted and powder coated. The total cost should not be more than $300 to $400. If the powder coating can be touched up it would be even less. Also a good time to change the color if you want.

h20king    794

doc the tower is cast and can not be welded one could try to bolt the base to the arch and should hold for a while but tower would nolonger fold down and the load tower could handle would be reduced

WakeDoc    471
doc the tower is cast and can not be welded one could try to bolt the base to the arch and should hold for a while but tower would nolonger fold down and the load tower could handle would be reduced

With all due respect, you are wrong, welding cast aluminum is not the easiest thing to do but, it can and is done all the time. Most of these type towers were not made in one piece to begin with.

h20king    794

sorry you took it like that i weld for a liveing and im telling you it cant be done properly :lol:

Tank222,

I just remembered something and I went back to check. You are not the original owner of this boat as you said in one of your first post after finding out about the cracked manifolds on your engine. You said that you bought your boat from a individual.

So how do you know that the other owner never pulled a tube or tied up to the tower?

Secondly unless you bought your boat from a dealer and did a warranty transfer you would not have a warranty on your boat anyway, correct?

I would go and buy one of those towers that Fineline told you about and get it installed on your boat and move on if it was me. Your luck they might sell out of them now that it has been posted on here and then you would have nothing.

I hope this makes sense, as it does to me.

tank222    2
Tank222,

I just remembered something and I went back to check. You are not the original owner of this boat as you said in one of your first post after finding out about the cracked manifolds on your engine. You said that you bought your boat from a individual.

So how do you know that the other owner never pulled a tube or tied up to the tower?

Secondly unless you bought your boat from a dealer and did a warranty transfer you would not have a warranty on your boat anyway, correct?

I would go and buy one of those towers that Fineline told you about and get it installed on your boat and move on if it was me. Your luck they might sell out of them now that it has been posted on here and then you would have nothing.

I hope this makes sense, as it does to me.

I understand I'm the second owner blah blah blah.

I just hope you have the same attitude when your tower cracks and you are buying a new tower as well.

WakeDoc    471
sorry you took it like that i weld for a liveing and im telling you it cant be done properly :lol:

Was not taken in a bad way on my side hope the same on yours, just letting tank222 know that he has other options. Altough cast anything is not the easiest thing to weld, it is possible. If tank222 was able to find a good weld shop he might be able to have it repaired locally. I don't make a living at welding anymore, did in the past, still deal with it on a regular basis in the engineering field.

h20king    794

let me explain a little better im a union pipe fitter/welder i do weld cast parts on a regular basis ie cast steal,iron and stainless fittings all of which are welded with a dc power source alluminum is welded with an ac power source meaning very high amps because alluminum is a heatsink you must weld very hot cast alluminum is very poorus and will not take the heat leave it to an engineer to ask the impossible ha ha just kidding

smitty    0

I wonder if it would be worth bringing them to a machine shop and see how much to cut you new ones? A good machinist with a mill shouldn't be a big deal.

WakeDoc    471

I was looking at the pictures again last night and came up with a idea or two, the picture below shows the basic idea behind what I was thinking. Depending on who you know and your abilities might be a little costly. Take a handgrinder to clean the area up, drill and tap two holes, have a machine shop create a part for the missing material out of stainless, bolt the new piece in place. Keeping in mind that the new one would only be as strong as the bolts. Might even be able to take a little JB weld, glue the original broken part back in place, once dry drill and tap new holes to help hold the original piece in place.

gallery_66_113_9310.jpg

Also looking agian at how the tower works/locks in place etc., I would most likely not worry about it if I did not have to put the tower down. The way the assembly locks into place, I do not think it could fail. With the pin in place the tower leg is captured and should not be able to move, plus the rider at the end of the rope is putting down force on the tower pulling it down and back. Truely the part that broke off only aids in lifting the tower back into place when in the down position. Otherwise it should be fine. With the tower up locked into place with the forward pins and the front legs on can you lift the rear leg at all?

tank222    2

I have not tried to put it back up because I put it in my garage for the winter and its already buried.

My dad is coming up for thanksgiving and is a union welder pipe filter and at the moment is building fighter jet seats for the navy and has access to a cnc machine and full machine shop so we are going to take it apart and see what we can come up with.

h20king    794

doc i love it i would think this to be the best option for repair as long as cost is much lower than replacement .if not i was thinking the double up would be a better choice bet one could get one for 800.00 ask you nice to double check the mesurements since you have one on your enzo and be done with it .i would not want to put the same tower back on only to have the same problem again