h20king

exhaust mod

h20king    794

i dont think the plate would hold water is 8.33 pounds per gallon thats a lot of down force as for makeing the tips i will build them myself if these dont do the trick. i love boats but my trade by day for the last 20 years is a union pipefitter/pipewelder but no complaints the money is good

duffymahoney    10

Any news on these tips? Would love to see how they work.

h20king    794

duffy still have the boat torn apart and the muffler removed so no news on how good they work. hoping to have time this week to install the blade,docking lights and underwater lights so i can do all my wiring at once. ill take pics of install and post to keep you guys up to date on my progress

duffymahoney    10

I'm thinking about selling my FAE and put the turn down tips on. I think the FAE adds a lot of drag and I also get a little spray from it while I surf.

Packrat    13

Not sure if you have tried this or not but it worked great for me. I had a Mastercraft with a Teak Swimstip and FAE. I was getting spray coming up through the slats in the swimstep. I ended up putting a piece of smoked colored plexiglass on the underside of the swimstep. Problem solved.

Just a thought.

duffymahoney    10

It creates spray on the surf wave not in the boat.

duffymahoney    10

H20

Anything you would like share about the install? I am really thinking about doing this.

h20king    794

duffy the hardest part of the install was removing the old tips.start buy removing the muffler and hoses to the tips .I tried a couple things but the tips did not want to budge.what worked in the end and i should have done to begin with is take a zip wheel and cut tip in two pieces from outside of the boat if you check my gallery there is a pic of where to cut the tip.once I cut the tip I was able to pry the tip without damage to the boat and remove it.then just clean the area drill three new holes for the screws and seal and install new tips. the old tips and new tips are the same diameter so once installed they look like they came with the boat :thumbsup:

Edited by h20king

h20king    794

initial reports are in.I finished the boat yesterday and started it the boat is so quiet I had to look to make sure the engine was ruining will report on noise levels underway shortlypost-777-1269793372_thumb.jpg

AZSurfer    0

After watching this video on Wake9.com, I decided to go with the FAE for my '09 Avy. It should arrive in the next week or two.

Can anyone comment on the difficulty level of installing it? Larry sent me the model that attaches to the fixed wakeplate for support, not the rear deck/platform.

enzo101mo    98

I have the sidewipe exhaust system and besides the noise level how safe is it compared to FAE. You can switch from one side to the other but are persons in the boat getting more or less CO Than the exhaust coming out from the back of the boat? There have been a couple of adds on TV talking about this problem. I haven't seen it enough times to figure out if they are trying to warn you about it or trying to make it an enviroment problem. Knowing Cailfornia it's both.

You are really safe with Sideswipe. The air flowing down the side of the boat takes the fumes totally away from the boat.

The real concern is the "Station Wagon Effect" of fumes coming out of the rear of the boat and rolling back in while underway. Just like n the 60's with station wagons and the rear window that would open up. It would suck the exhaust right into the car.

Oldwakedude    0

if you go to this CDC site you will find lots of good CO boating information :unknw: :

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/coboating/

Scroll down to the Ski Boats section and you will find more info on Ski Boat CO, including reports on:

Sideswipe Test

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ectb-171-37a.pdf

Fresh Air Exhaust

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ectb-171-35a.pdf

Bottom line is used correctly both provide almost the same protection to the wakesurfer, which is significant. For wakeboarding or people in the boat does not make a lot of difference. Thing I like about FAE is it is more "Idiot" B) proof than sideswipe (driver does not have to remember to switch to the opposite side of the rider) and quieter. My next boat will not have sideswipe, but FAE.

volzalum    280

OK, so I installed my exhaust tips today. A few tips I noted to help with the removal/install:

1) Rather than cutting the old tips, drill a series of holes around the edge as close to the boat as you can so you can use a screwdriver to pry out on the tips. Then as you pry put pour some adhesive remover behind to help break down the previous silicone adhesive.

2) you have to make two "notches" in each hole for the dimples to fit through the openings. I used a sawzall.

3) I used #14 stainless screws for the install.

Also, the factory had broken off two bolts on my old tips as are evident by the pictures.

post-555-1270498021_thumb.jpg post-555-1270498030_thumb.jpg post-555-1270498041_thumb.jpg post-555-1270498050_thumb.jpg post-555-1270498060_thumb.jpg

post-555-1270497968_thumb.jpg post-555-1270497979_thumb.jpg post-555-1270497990_thumb.jpg post-555-1270498001_thumb.jpg post-555-1270498011_thumb.jpg

Bigcatpt    408

Those look awesome! I am anxious to see if they sound different.

WakeDoc    471

2x on the effects form h2oking and volzalum's installs.

duffymahoney    10

WakeDoc,

Do any of your malibu buddies have these? Because the effect should be similar. I have a friend who has them but he never surfs.

Foiler    1
After watching this video on Wake9.com, I decided to go with the FAE for my '09 Avy. It should arrive in the next week or two.

Can anyone comment on the difficulty level of installing it? Larry sent me the model that attaches to the fixed wakeplate for support, not the rear deck/platform.

I would really love to see this since I took the fixed wakeplate off and still have the mounts there. Please post up some pictures once you get it.

h20king    794

nice job install looks clean and stock it has not quit raining long enough for me to put my boat in the water and see how they sound underway if you beat me to it please post your thoughts