cmcgee82

Sideswipe Exhaust

cmcgee82    0

I am about to purchase a boat, i enjoy the surfing and needing to know, Sideswipe, is it a must have!! yes or No and why

Thanks in advance!

duffymahoney    10

I don't personally like it and most people I know feel the same. The best is standard exhaust and then install a FAE (fresh air exhaust). It is awesome. Here is there website. You can save some coin and get custom sacs for surfing. What is the cost of upgrading to sideswipe?

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

LakeSurfer    10

I would not buy a boat with SideSwipe. I can not stand how loud it is. I have an FAE and it is great.

FYI - I do think you need one or the other. I would not surf with out something that decreases the amount of CO the boat puts out right behind the boat.

Edited by LakeSurfer

IROCNParts    108

I like the loud sideswipe but then again im coming from a 34' baja with twin 496s :)

GlimmerIII    0

I like mine alot. I put the 2010 quiet tips on mine. Much quieter than the old ones. purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oldwakedude    0

I have a 2008 Enzo 230 with sideswipe. If I had to do it over I would get FAE:

1) FAE is quiet, really quiet. At idle you almost need an indicator light to tell you the engine is running

2) FAE is idiot proof, it is always on, you don't have to remember which side to switch it to to keep from gassing the surfer

3) FAE has no moving parts (no maintenance), sideswipe has two solenoid valves and a switch, if the valve fails it just stays open and you don't really know if it is working.

4) FAE does not consume any interior boat space. Sideswipe runs through the port and starboard engine lockers (4" hose and valves) using up storage space

Technically according to the CIC report of testing done by the USCG sideswipe is minutely better than the FAE in reducing the CO exposure of the surfer, but that assumes you use it correctly and the valves are operating properly.

Now from the write-up it probably sounds like I work for FAE, don't and have nothing to do with them. Just a guy that bought an Enzo with sideswipe because of the documented reports and after having it for a year or so I have realized the error of my ways. Now that I have it I am stuck with it, fortunately the noise doesn't really bother me and we have our routine down so that we don't gas the surfer

Of course if you like the roar of the old time inboards, then get it, cause it does sound cool.

enzo101mo    98

I have 2005 Enzo with sideswipe and love the sound. I come from the mussel car and Jet boat days and love the sweet purr of the engine. I may be wrong but won't be the last time, but I feel getting the exhaust out of the water is better for the water and fish. Wasn't it Centurion Main reason to have sideswipe to divert the exhaust away from the wake surfer?

tank222    2

I Like it. I think it would be nice some times to have a switch that made it exit at the rear under water.

drdirt    0

I have an 08 23 Enzo with the sideswipe and love it. i can see how some people dont want the noise (which i like) but the clean air while surfing is would be enough for me even if i didnt. i occasionally surf behind a couple of malibu's and cant stand it becuase of the exhaust

Skibumm    184

Just know that you need one or the other. Side swipe or FAE make it legal to surf. Most law enforcement officials do not know this but you can get out of a ticket if you show that you ahve one or the other. Most people have never been ticketed for this but I have been surfing with standard exhaust and I would not go out and surf because I knew it was illegal and that the Rangers at Lake Powell really enforce it. I was laughed at right up until the dirver got his $280 ticket. When the Ranger was heading our way the driver was wondering what was going on and I said he is coming to get for surfing. Still did not believe me.

Bigshow    0

Wakesurfing illegal without CO mitigation, where do you live? Did your law makers reference FAE and SS in their legislation, doubt it?

Where I'm at it's not a question of legality, it about adding an added measure of safety, more than is needed. Published CDC reports show that both FAE and SS reduce CO exposure by about 90%. However, the CO exposure 5 ft off the water and 10 ft back is low anyway. The CO exposure inside the boat due to station wagon effect is higher.

Skibumm    184
Wakesurfing illegal without CO mitigation, where do you live? Did your law makers reference FAE and SS in their legislation, doubt it?

Where I'm at it's not a question of legality, it about adding an added measure of safety, more than is needed. Published CDC reports show that both FAE and SS reduce CO exposure by about 90%. However, the CO exposure 5 ft off the water and 10 ft back is low anyway. The CO exposure inside the boat due to station wagon effect is higher.

It's not specific to wake surfing and it is from the NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administration) i think that is what it stands for. The original law was in 2004 and was then revised in 2005 but it is still very vague in it's wording as to what distinguishes the different activities. It states the reason for this as two fold: One the proximity of the prop (In the case of an I/O, and two the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you are truly concerned you should contact them and make known your thoughts and suggestions.

Just know that you need one or the other. Side swipe or FAE make it legal to surf. Most law enforcement officials do not know this but you can get out of a ticket if you show that you ahve one or the other. Most people have never been ticketed for this but I have been surfing with standard exhaust and I would not go out and surf because I knew it was illegal and that the Rangers at Lake Powell really enforce it. I was laughed at right up until the dirver got his $280 ticket. When the Ranger was heading our way the driver was wondering what was going on and I said he is coming to get for surfing. Still did not believe me.

I think you or the "ranger" you are telling the tale of are confusing TEAK surfing with WAKE surfing.

TEAK surfing is illegal in many places. I suspect there is more to this ticket's fish tale.

enzo101mo    98

It's legal in calif. to wake surf but like eleventenths said: It's not legal to hold on to the swim platform when engine on or boat in motion. Never heard it to be illegal in Calif. I agree those people who passed it to be illegal need an education :good:

codo511    2

So has there been any updates to this discussion on sideswipe exhaust? 

im looking at a super clean 06 23’ wraparound c4 typhoonwith w/ ss and manual surf tab and love everything about it but the db volume at cruising speed.

Just wanted to know if there has been a proven go-to mod upgrade kit to FAE or muffler/silencer? video/results? 

does FAE effect wake or ski-ability of boat? Spray?

Costs? 

thanks!