Sign in to follow this  
Troy. R

PCM impeller/FCC filter replacement

Troy. R    198

Has anyone replaced the impeller and/or FCC filter on a RI, FI, or VI yet?

If so, how difficult is it?

Does anyone have a video?

Im due on my ZS232, and my dealer wants $450 to do it! I’m a very handy guy, but just didn’t feel like doing it on this boat until I got this quote. I always did all of the service on my last boat (‘07 Avalanche).

I’d love to get some feedback from anyone who has done this service.

Troy. R    198

I finally got around to changing my impeller and FCC filter yesterday. The impeller was actually fairly easy. The FCC filter was a little more difficult. There are some videos out there that say you have to remove the fuel lines to replace the FCC filter, you don’t. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to get those things off before I said screw it, and tried it without removing the fuel lines. Another difficult part was getting the old filter out of the canister. This probably took 30 minutes or so as well. I did this at my storage facility, so I was limited on tools. Next time I’ll bring a drill and a 3” screw. Zip the screw into the filter and pull it out.

here’s a good video on the impeller:

And here’s is a decent one on the FCC filter. It’s obviously much easier on the direct drive, but you can get the key points. Just remember, you DO NOT have to remove the fuel lines. Just cut the zip tie holding them together under the FCC and you’ll have enough room.