codo511

Potentially Joining the Centurion Family

codo511    2

Hey Crew,
I'm looking at a 06 Centurion 23' Typhoon but wanted a little feedback on surfability. I noticed that it has the exhaust out the side, does that actually help, or does it just waft around? It has built in ballast, and a "manual" center trim tab...  All in all the boat is very clean, low hours, and well maintained- however we'd  be looking to pick up this boat to primarily to surf... maybe the occasional ski but primarily surf. Thoughts? What if anything would i need to add to enhance it? (links/prices) if so...
Thanks!

jtryon    24

does it have the rear hull cutouts in the outer corners?  if so it won't surf as well as the later typhoons.  they changed in '06 as far as i know but there may be some mid-year changes that i haven't heard of.  if it's a continuous V in the rear, it will put out a great wave for surfing by just slamming the corner.  i just upgraded to 1600lb bags on mine and the wave is awesome.

another non-desirable on these is a walkthrough on the starboard side, so check if it has that.  it's not an issue if you don't have any goofy riders, but might affect resale as most want the C4 model.

the exhaust is referred to as "sideswipe."  i converted mine to a single exhaust in the rear (link here), and Fresh Air Exhaust also offers conversion kits.  most sideswipe valves have broken by now on these, and it's more expensive to replace both actuators than it would be to convert to FAE.  if you don't mind the exhaust sound you could just leave it, but it gets loud at cruising speeds.

i would check if there are 3 separate ballast pumps or if it's the OEM sprinkler valve system.  if it's sprinklers, you'll want to add two more thru-hulls and dedicated pumps on them, otherwise your ballast fill times will be SLOW.  you can do those for around $200/per, well worth it.

all in all, a great surf boat with lots of room and handles chop well with the deep-v.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

As @jtryon mentioned, the '06 Typhoon "should" be the deep vee hull that runs all the way to the stern. The later year Typhoons were a 23' version of the Avalanche C4. Which is to say, as long as you have enough ballast to lean it, it'll produce a great surf wave.
There are many different upgrades from removing SideSwipe to custom ballast that you'll likely want to get into down the road if you pull the trigger on this boat.

codo511    2

62b0d466670bd_ScreenShot2022-06-20at3_10_58PM.png.0f28309783ab6ad57cd30f831a03d693.pngI’m pretty sure after messaging with Troy it’s the deep v of the later models, … it definitely doesn’t have the big chunk cut outs in the under hull. But my wife and I went for a test ride yesterday and couldn’t believe how loud the side swipe exhaust was… we absolutely loved the boat everything else was amazing and super clean…. But we do a lot of puttin’ to dinner with guests as well as water sports and it was so loud….

I saw JTyron step by step guide to a thru the hull guide to FAE… I’ve also see a few posts on Installing quiet tips - I guess this is the old orange tip sideswipe model???

I’ve also seen there may be a muffler option from www.GGG.ca, but not sure if that is still a thing?

I guess I’m not opposed to doing the exhaust out the back route and FAE pipe in the future… have they figured out spray? 

I suppose the total cost comes into play for these too… hmmm

so many questions… sorry… we were just so excited when we saw the boat and after we were so undecided! 

Thanks all.

codo511    2

Also it’s a 2006 23’ typhoon but the late year model with the deeper-v hull w/o the cut outs and the c 4 wrap around seating… 

0E8073A7-1B18-49A9-8D17-D1D2AAD1BB18.jpeg

• Like 1