Jump to content

Recommended Posts

N901    4

Hey All,

Been contemplating FAE all winter. Is it easy to install? Is spray an issue? Mastercraft dealer told me to research back pressure and if it’s a problem with the black scorpion? 

thanks for any input in advance. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris O    13

I'm glad I put it on mine to replace the sideswipe.  There is a small amount of spray, but not enough that I care about it.  Pretty straight forward install.  Just gotta get over the nerves of putting huge holes in your boat.  There was definitely a part of me that put the project off out of fear of screwing up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Avy06    1
12 hours ago, Chris O said:

I'm glad I put it on mine to replace the sideswipe.  There is a small amount of spray, but not enough that I care about it.  Pretty straight forward install.  Just gotta get over the nerves of putting huge holes in your boat.  There was definitely a part of me that put the project off out of fear of screwing up. 

Chris, did you do the muffle delete with your fae install? I’m waiting to pull the trigger on a fae but need to decided on Y or T?.? Also need to make a decision on delete muffler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jtryon    22

i'd delete the muffler.  i don't even hear mine running with no muffler, plus now everything in the back of the motor is much more accessible now.  i think the muffler was necessary with sideswipe because it's so loud at cruising speeds, but not with FAE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N901    4

Is the muffler on these the straight piece that  runs along the back the engine?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curtis    1
1 hour ago, N901 said:

Is the muffler on these the straight piece that  runs along the back the engine?

 

 

Yes. Big fiberglass tube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N901    4

Ok got it thanks! Spoke with Larry at FAE today. Im going to remove the switchblade mount as I don’t use it. He needs to me to measure center to center on the bolts so he can make a plate to go in its place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curtis    1
13 minutes ago, N901 said:

Ok got it thanks! Spoke with Larry at FAE today. Im going to remove the switchblade mount as I don’t use it. He needs to me to measure center to center on the bolts so he can make a plate to go in its place. 

I did the same thing. I keep my boat in the marina for 6 months out of the year, and hated carrying the switchblade around all the time. I might be inclined to keep it for special surf days if I was trailering all the time.

Beware that the Switchblade plate may be structurally bonded to the hull in addition to the bolted joint. There's a big risk that you can damage the fiberglass (and not just Gel Goat) trying to remove it if it was bonded with permanent adhesive. I opted to just remove everything from the switchblade setup except for the plate. I just cut back the vertical support mounted to the plate to clear the FAE. Should help reduce the spray I was getting from the Switchblade apparatus when it was unused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N901    4

Ahh gotchya. How did you cut it back? Literally just hacksaw it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris O    13
On 5/9/2022 at 8:00 PM, Avy06 said:

Chris, did you do the muffle delete with your fae install? I’m waiting to pull the trigger on a fae but need to decided on Y or T?.? Also need to make a decision on delete muffler?

Yes, eliminate the muffler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curtis    1
15 hours ago, N901 said:

Ahh gotchya. How did you cut it back? Literally just hacksaw it?

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Then smoothed it out and polished it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N901    4
1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Then smoothed it out and polished it up.

Excellent. That might be the trick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..