Jason Johnson

2003 Hurricane, Wake surfing?

Hello,

I am about to buy a 2003 hurricane and wanted to know how the wake is for wake surfing? It has a center 1,000 lb ballast. I figure I will need at least 400 lbs each in the rear lockers and 300-600lbs in the bow. Any info, opinions, or suggestions on weighting the boat and how the wake is would be appreciated

Thanks,

Jason Johnson

Bigcatpt    408

Welcome to the site Jason. I think you will find the answers you are looking for here. Unfortunately I don't know anything about he hurricane. I was just thinking that 1000 pound center ballast sounds really great but not likely. Most center ballast tanks are 200-400 pounds. But like I said.. I know nothing about that boat.... Good luck!

Thanks for the reply....that is what I thought too...about the center ballast being 1,000 lbs. That is what the owner said a few times. I haven't inspected the boat yet. We will see....

jquick    0

go with 750 fly high in the lockers rather then the 400's, then you should be all good.

Joe B    17

You're really going to want to list that boat to the side. 750lb Fly High sacs in the lockers, but you'll need another 750 for the seat, and probably get a 440lb Fly High not fully filled for the bow. There is an older thread on how to set up the Hurricane and old Cyclone.

If it's only the center tank, then it's 200lbs. There's not enough space even for a custom 1000lbs under there. The gas tank is under the floor there too for just over 200lbs of gas when full-but that doesn't count.

See if it has Perfect Pass as the boat I looked at just had a cruise control thing not PP but it was an easy upgrade although a grand extra.

Thanks!

750lbs in one rear side locker or both sides? We will be surfing regular and goofy....I was hoping moving people and a movable ballast would provide enough weight for the surf side but I'm not sure. I don't really want to empty and fill ballasts every time we switch riders.

750lbs in the middle of the back seat or on the side seat (regular side)?

So 3,000 lbs is about right for this boat (21.6 ft)? It will still float above the water line, right? :-)

Does anyone know if the Fly High Pro X Integrated Bow Sac will fit under the seats in the bow of this boat.

jquick    0

im not sure if the bow sac will fit, but i know it sucks when you have to fill and empty when you switch riders. we usually have all the same side riders go all at once then make the switch. i takes a few mins to fill and empty but its ok because everyone can jump in the water while you wait.

Good point....its not that big of a deal.

I just saw another 2003 Hurricane w/ storm package II with a center ballast listed at 1,000 lbs.

Audionly101    39

I am just wrapping up my ballast install on my Elite V Air Warrior which I believe is the same basiclly as the hurricane. I have the Fly High wrap around bag under my front seats and it does fit but does not have room to totally fill like it is designed for. I would guess it is about 2/3 -3/4 full... So if it is 1000 lbs full it is about 600-750 lbs. I run a 440# bag in the surf side locker, the center factory hard tank, the bow bag, and 4 of the 85# launch pad bricks to throw on seats or the floor of the surf side. With that plus gear, beer and a few people the wake is pretty respectable I think. As with most of our boats the port side is pretty clean and has a good size wave and pocket, the dark side is a bit tall and short, with a bit of white water no mater what I do with the manual trim tab. I hope to finally get some pictures tomorrow of the wave now that the ballast is close enough to done so I can post them soon. Hope this helps you some.

Thanks! That does help. The Elite V is the same hull as the hurricane. I would love to see some pics! Can't wait to go surfing, just bought a Triple X 5' 0" Slasher Pro X Series Wake surfboard and I pick up the boat on Thursday (as long as everything checks out during inspection). The boat only has 60 hours so I don't expect too many problems....