COV2

My turn, what boat to buy

COV2    8

I think it was four years ago we decided to dip our toe into the boat ownership waters.  Bought an 06 SV230 and with the help of advice here, infinity surf tabs, and  upgraded ballast and pumps had a killer wave and it was a huge success.  Now the circumstances are right and considering an upgrade.  Been thinking about it for a year and every time we ride our wave I question why.  I know this is a common topic and I have read them all but but thought I would just post a new thread specific to my situation.  We primarily surf, very occasionally wakeboard, and sometimes the kids just need to be thrown around on a tube.  The past three years have been exclusively at Lake Powell. This year, early season at Havasu for a few trips then a high altitude mountain lake here in Colorado.  I assume that will be where we boat for the foreseeable future.

Options are:

2016 FS44.  Like the price point!

2018+Ri237 Still within budget

2018+Ri or Fi 257  Top end of the budget in the 2018 and 2019's and does not seem to be that much more than the 23's.  More boat for the $ but is the wave really worth it?  We never have more than 8 on the boat.

This is probably a long term purchase.  I take care of things and keep them for a long time.  Current boat was an experiment and served its' purpose.  I figure a well optioned Fi23 will run $150k and the Ri230 will run $180k.   New Fi23 is not out of the question but don't want to go as high as the Ri230's are running.

It's all so confusing having not surfed behind any of them but I like to shop in the Fall so need to rely on recommendations of others and your personal experiences.

As always, much appreciated!

Troy    234

Our old boat was an 08 Avy. I’ve surfed  behind a lot of Centurions (SV233, FS33 & 44, Fi23 & 25, Ri237, 257, 230 , and 245). The Ri245 and 230 is the shape of our Avy wave just bigger. Which is why I’m waiting on our new Ri230 to come in. The 245 is a big boat but that wave is $$$$$$! The 230 was easier to drive, turn around, dock, trailer, etc. The waves behind the FS, Fi and earlier Ri’s are nothing to get upset about. All great waves. I wanted a certain shape, the 245/230 gave that. Whichever boat you decide on, spend some time and dial in the wave how you like it, and enjoy it! 

Troy. R    198

We were in a similar situation last year. We looked at every new “budget” boat out there as well as a fi23, ri237, and fs33. We wanted to stay in the $100k range or possibly under.

We ended up finding a screaming deal on a Supreme ZS232 and couldn’t be happier.

In terms of the boats you’re looking at, I’d lean ri or fi for the opti-v hull. They throw an incredible wave on both sides and they’re designed to work with the tabs so they’re very easy to switch side to side if you have both goofy and regular riders. This was important to us because the wife and I are reg, but the kids are goofy (ZS hull is very similar to the opti-v).

COV2    8

Thanks for the insight.  Interesting comment on wave shape.  Everyone gets so fixated on how big the wave is and shape seems to get lost in the discussion sometimes.  I love my sv230 wave but have never surfed behind another boat.  I do have a build sheet for a new Ri230 but it is just more than I want to spend.  Sounds like I should just find the best deal out there on an Fi or Ri and be happy with the decision.  There are a few Ri257's out there that are of interest but those are BIG boats.  Not seeing the value in an 18+ 237 and not much in the way of Fi's that I am seeing. 

Big investment so just trying to make the right decision.

Dreamer    96
On 11/7/2021 at 7:50 AM, COV2 said:

Thanks for the insight.  Interesting comment on wave shape.  Everyone gets so fixated on how big the wave is and shape seems to get lost in the discussion sometimes.  I love my sv230 wave but have never surfed behind another boat.  I do have a build sheet for a new Ri230 but it is just more than I want to spend.  Sounds like I should just find the best deal out there on an Fi or Ri and be happy with the decision.  There are a few Ri257's out there that are of interest but those are BIG boats.  Not seeing the value in an 18+ 237 and not much in the way of Fi's that I am seeing. 

Big investment so just trying to make the right decision.

COV2, get the CATS option as it will give you more wakeshaping options. We have it on our Ri245 and it can really change things up. My kids like the wakesurf wake vertical with a firm lip for bombing airs so we crank the CATS to create what they want. My wife and I like a more mellow wake for surface tricks so we adjust the CATS to the opposite side for the best results. 

You should buy my boat, it has the wave you're looking for. 2016 RI 217, 450hp, 5k ballast, cats, everything. 112 hours. Make you a smoking deal.

5 hours ago, 03 Avalanche said:

You should buy my boat, it has the wave you're looking for. 2016 RI 217, 450hp, 5k ballast, cats, everything. 112 hours. Make you a smoking deal.

https://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/d/clearwater-2016-centurion-ri217/7407714849.html

5 hours ago, 03 Avalanche said:

COV2    8

Thanks for all of the insight.  Looks like I am focused on a RI257, if I can find the right deal.  It's a lot of boat, maybe too much, but time will tell.  Other option is the Ri237.  Will boil down to finding the right boat at the right price.  03avy, thanks for the offer on your boat but looking for something a bit bigger as we spend a lot of time at Powell and prefer a 23'+.

COV2    8

Just as a follow up, I wound up buying a 2019 Ri237.  Purchased from Boardco and Tyler was great to deal with.  Have already put 60 hours on it down in two trips to Havasu.  Wave is fantastic.  Day one, struggle fest.  Day two, wave looking good.  Day three, four, five, six etc, wave dialed.  My SV230 threw a great wave.  This is similar wave but much more predictable, better in chop, better push from the back, and really everything I was hoping for.  Let me know if anyone thinking about a similar switch has questions and thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

Congrats @COV2!

The Ri237 is a great boat! How was Havasu? We’re heading there in 2 weeks.

COV2    8

Havasu was awesome.  Had 11 days on the water already this year and that is just this month.  Great water temperatures, little to no wind, and tough to come back to the snow in Colorado this weekend.  Heading back in the next week or two.

Troy. R    198

Right on. We’ll be there in a week and a half. Hope the little to no wind holds up for my trip. It was windy about 1/2 of the time we were there last year.