Sign in to follow this  
EricO

2022 Supreme S220 vs Tige Z3

EricO    0

Hi Everyone- New to the site. We are looking to buy our first surf boat and I have narrowed down my search to the 2022 Supreme S220 and Tige Z3.

The price is almost the same for both.

Can anyone share feedback on how the waves from these 2 boats will be with stock ballast?

My research tells me the S220 with 700lbs more ballast is going to make a difference but I would welcome any feedback from people who have been in the 2020-21 Z3 and S211 or S238.

Thanks

Troy. R    198
16 hours ago, EricO said:

Hi Everyone- New to the site. We are looking to buy our first surf boat and I have narrowed down my search to the 2022 Supreme S220 and Tige Z3.

The price is almost the same for both.

Can anyone share feedback on how the waves from these 2 boats will be with stock ballast?

My research tells me the S220 with 700lbs more ballast is going to make a difference but I would welcome any feedback from people who have been in the 2020-21 Z3 and S211 or S238.

Thanks

I’m not sure how similar the hull is on a 20-21 Z3 versus a 2015, but I have surfed behind my brother in law’s 2015 Z3. I know the Z3 is capable of throwing a really good wave because I’ve seen it, but I think it takes a fair bit of tweaking and extra weight. To be honest, I had a Centurion Avalanche at the time and the Avy wave was far better than what we were able to produce in the 2 days we were messing with the Z3 (stock ballast only).

It’s going to be tough to get firsthand experience on the S220 because it is so new. A few things to consider are, the new EZ-hull on the S220 is a variation of the opti-V hull that Centurions run and also very similar to the tapered-V hull that the ZS’s run. These hulls are proven to throw incredible surf waves. Also, you are not likely to need extra weight (lead or other) in the S220. My ZS wave is fantastic out of the box with stock ballast and I would expect the same from the new S line. This is something that is of particular interest to me because I hate the idea of hauling around hundreds of lbs. of lead at all times whether you’re trailering, cruising, or surfing. Last thought on a potential S220 advantage… Again, if the 20-21 Z3 is the same hull as the older models, you’ll have more freeboard on the S220. The older Z3 did not have near the freeboard of the newer boats. I went from a ‘07 Avalanche to my ZS232 and the freeboard is such a huge difference. It’s much more comfortable not having to sink the boat to the rubrail to produce an optimal wave.

On the other hand, the Z3 is a foot longer which is a plus. I just don’t know what that equates to in extra cabin space. The Z3 also likely has better tech in terms of display etc.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted.

EricO    0

Thanks for the info Troy. I am water testing the 2022 Tige Z3 and a 2020 Supreme ZS232 next week. I am told the Z3 for 2022 is a new hull. I will be very interested to see what kind of a wave it produces with stock ballast. The Supreme S220 has 700lbs more ballast than the Z3 so I suspect the wave will be larger. The screen in the Z3 is much nicer than the Supreme.

Can you provide some advice on how easy the Supreme surf system is to use? This will be our first boat and I don't want to be having to mess around tuning things to get a basic wave. Any thoughts?

Troy. R    198
3 hours ago, EricO said:

Thanks for the info Troy. I am water testing the 2022 Tige Z3 and a 2020 Supreme ZS232 next week. I am told the Z3 for 2022 is a new hull. I will be very interested to see what kind of a wave it produces with stock ballast. The Supreme S220 has 700lbs more ballast than the Z3 so I suspect the wave will be larger. The screen in the Z3 is much nicer than the Supreme.

Can you provide some advice on how easy the Supreme surf system is to use? This will be our first boat and I don't want to be having to mess around tuning things to get a basic wave. Any thoughts?

Ok. I did see the ‘22 Z3 is all new and appears to have more freeboard in line with other newer surf boats. I was a little confused about the 20-21 Z3 in the original post because the last I had seen of that boat (in 2019 when I was looking for a new boat) was that it was the older hull and called an R3 (didn’t look to see it the R3 carried into 20-21).

Assuming the S220 EZ-V hull behaves like the opti-V and Tapered-V, here is a good starting point for the S220 and 2020 ZS232 wave. This is how I set up my ZS232 and the wave is incredible. Fill all of the ballast and then drain 10% off of the non-surf side main subfloor tank, PnP locker bag and rear corner tank (RCT only in 19-21 ZS). Start with the surf tabs at 70 and increase to clean up any wash as necessary the more people (weight) you have in the boat. Stinger plate at 80-100 for skim style riding. This will make the wave more mellow. Stinger plate at 40-60 for surf style riding. This will make the wave a little more rampy.

best of luck. Let us know how the water tests go.

Troy. R    198

I should have added… I would imagine that the new Z3 will be more user friendly out of the box than the older model, but will likely still need an extra 500-1000 lbs of lead to really get the full potential out of the boat. This seems to be the trend with most if not all non-Centurion/Supremes these days.

69C10    2

I’d like to know how the prices are similar, up here in Canada I’m seeing new Z3’s listed for about $25k more then a zs232. The Z3 has some crazy deep storage looking at walk though videos.

Troy. R    198
7 hours ago, 69C10 said:

I’d like to know how the prices are similar, up here in Canada I’m seeing new Z3’s listed for about $25k more then a zs232. The Z3 has some crazy deep storage looking at walk though videos.

It looks like the new hull is similar to the ATX 22 and 24. We crawled all through a 24 and it had very deep storage under the seats. The new Z3 looks like a cool boat.

69C10    2
18 hours ago, Troy. R said:

It looks like the new hull is similar to the ATX 22 and 24. We crawled all through a 24 and it had very deep storage under the seats. The new Z3 looks like a cool boat.

Where’s all that depth coming from?
I called my local dealer for a price on an atx 24, was basically on par or slightly higher then the zs232, that right there was enough to completely rule out the atx and tige. Also, electrical issues seem to be a bit of a thing with tige/atx from what I’ve heard (also I currently own an older tige and have had several electrical issues even from new), but the interiors on tige are pretty sweet!
If I’m being completely honest, I haven’t been through them all besides the boat show 2 years ago. From walk through videos, I think some of the other boats have better features such as removable seat backs on the sliding center seat, seat back behind drivers chair, walk through transom, flip up seating on the sunpad to name a few.
There’s a everal things that have sold me on the supreme, one being the looks, I think it’s a far better looking boat inside and out, tower included then the other similarly priced boats. The engine, the PCM gm engines alone probably account for 50% of my reasoning, I’ve had way to many bad experiences with ford engines of all size and setups in work vehicles, no thanks. The stereo, the champ and hero package seems far superior to other budget boats. Finally the ballast, supreme packs a lot of weight into their boats without needing anything extra added on.

If that Z3 is similarly equipped for that close of a price, I’d probably have a pretty hard look at it and might be able to get over some of my above concerns.

EricO, if you demo the Z3 let us know how it compares to the supreme. Im waiting to hear back on some comparisons between the ZS and S, but as of now am set on the ZS.

Troy. R    198
29 minutes ago, 69C10 said:

Where’s all that depth coming from?
I called my local dealer for a price on an atx 24, was basically on par or slightly higher then the zs232, that right there was enough to completely rule out the atx and tige. Also, electrical issues seem to be a bit of a thing with tige/atx from what I’ve heard (also I currently own an older tige and have had several electrical issues even from new), but the interiors on tige are pretty sweet!
If I’m being completely honest, I haven’t been through them all besides the boat show 2 years ago. From walk through videos, I think some of the other boats have better features such as removable seat backs on the sliding center seat, seat back behind drivers chair, walk through transom, flip up seating on the sunpad to name a few.
There’s a everal things that have sold me on the supreme, one being the looks, I think it’s a far better looking boat inside and out, tower included then the other similarly priced boats. The engine, the PCM gm engines alone probably account for 50% of my reasoning, I’ve had way to many bad experiences with ford engines of all size and setups in work vehicles, no thanks. The stereo, the champ and hero package seems far superior to other budget boats. Finally the ballast, supreme packs a lot of weight into their boats without needing anything extra added on.

If that Z3 is similarly equipped for that close of a price, I’d probably have a pretty hard look at it and might be able to get over some of my above concerns.

EricO, if you demo the Z3 let us know how it compares to the supreme. Im waiting to hear back on some comparisons between the ZS and S, but as of now am set on the ZS.

On the ATX under seat storage, they’re able to make it so deep because the space isn’t filled with sub-floor ballast like the Supremes.

Agreed on some of the features offered on other boats. I will say however, the drivers seat serves as a good seat back for the seat directly behind the driver on the ZS.

The fit/finish, quantity, upholstery, etc. are better in Supremes than any other “value class” boat for sure. And you’re right to make the power plant a priority. I absolutely love the PCM power plant in my ZS. We have also been very happy with the Champ audio package. I’m not a huge stereo-head, but can say that the Wetsounds systems in these boats are really nice. The one thing I’d like to add to the stereo is zone control. 

My dealer said the big difference between the S line and the ZS line is that the S will have less freeboard and of course less ballast than the ZS. 

EricO    0

I water tested both the 2022 Tige Z3 and the 2020 Supreme ZS232 today...there was no 2022 Supreme. We were really shocked at the difference in wave size and shape. I told both boats to set it up so they could start out at a small wave for a beginner/kid, take it to a 50 % capacity wave and then take it to 100%. Both boats played around with speed between 11- 11.2.The Supreme wave had a much better shape, curl and cleanness to it than the Tige. The Supreme dealer said the S220 will have a similar shape to it but not as large as the ZS232 due to the S220 being a smaller boat. Truth be told I was hoping the Tige wave was going to be close, as I do like the interior fit/finish and control screen of the Tige better than the Supreme but the wave difference of the Supreme has me thinking the S220 is the way to go.

Thank you for all of your input and comments...they were much appreciated.

Troy. R    198
7 hours ago, EricO said:

I water tested both the 2022 Tige Z3 and the 2020 Supreme ZS232 today...there was no 2022 Supreme. We were really shocked at the difference in wave size and shape. I told both boats to set it up so they could start out at a small wave for a beginner/kid, take it to a 50 % capacity wave and then take it to 100%. Both boats played around with speed between 11- 11.2.The Supreme wave had a much better shape, curl and cleanness to it than the Tige. The Supreme dealer said the S220 will have a similar shape to it but not as large as the ZS232 due to the S220 being a smaller boat. Truth be told I was hoping the Tige wave was going to be close, as I do like the interior fit/finish and control screen of the Tige better than the Supreme but the wave difference of the Supreme has me thinking the S220 is the way to go.

Thanks for the update Eric. Interesting comparison. I wonder what that Z3 could do with an extra 800lbs or so of lead.
Is that '20 ZS232 for sale? If so have you considered it instead of the '22 S220?

EricO    0

The Z3 is 23.5 feet long. After the water tests we decided that the right boat for us is in that 22 ft range and the 2022 S220 seems to be the right size for us and it has 700lbs more ballast than the 2022 Z3 stock.

My hope is the new Supreme Quick Surf presets will make for a dummy proof set up to go surfing while we learn how to fine tune the wave.

Troy. R    198
12 minutes ago, EricO said:

The Z3 is 23.5 feet long. After the water tests we decided that the right boat for us is in that 22 ft range and the 2022 S220 seems to be the right size for us and it has 700lbs more ballast than the 2022 Z3 stock.

My hope is the new Supreme Quick Surf presets will make for a dummy proof set up to go surfing while we learn how to fine tune the wave.

Nice! That S220 looks like it’s a great boat.

Boardco has some good videos on YouTube for setting up and fine tuning your surf wave on a Centurion that I found to correlate well to my ZS. I’m sure they would be useful to you on the S220 as well.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

This is the one that I found most useful.

• Like 1

69C10    2
On 2021-09-21 at 10:54 PM, EricO said:

Good feedback Eric!

I too had a similar experience on my demo. I was somewhat hoping that the wave would only be marginally better then my 22v. With just 3 of us in the boat, he dialed it in for surf regular, I’m pretty sure I started laughing due to how blown away I was (possibly even partially in shock). The wave was significantly taller, longer, deeper etc etc, the board I can barely surf with behind my boat was way too fast on that monster. My cheque book basically came out on the spot haha. 

The tiges are definitely sharp boats inside and out! Seems they don’t get much attention in comparison to the other big brands, but I guess there must be a reason. 

69C10    2
On 2021-09-22 at 2:18 PM, EricO said:

On the 2021 ZS I demo’d, he just filled everything full, dumped a bit of rear ballast from the opposite surf side and I believe just ran the quick surf settings with a little change on the stinger. I could be way off on that, but I don’t remember him going into great detail on surf settings so I think it was quite simple for setup.

Troy. R    198
19 hours ago, 69C10 said:

Good feedback Eric!

I too had a similar experience on my demo. I was somewhat hoping that the wave would only be marginally better then my 22v. With just 3 of us in the boat, he dialed it in for surf regular, I’m pretty sure I started laughing due to how blown away I was (possibly even partially in shock). The wave was significantly taller, longer, deeper etc etc, the board I can barely surf with behind my boat was way too fast on that monster. My cheque book basically came out on the spot haha. 

The tiges are definitely sharp boats inside and out! Seems they don’t get much attention in comparison to the other big brands, but I guess there must be a reason. 

Tiges are nice boats. It’s probably a regional thing, because they’re popular here in AZ as well as back home in CA where I moved from.

I bought my ZS without even testing it. I did so much research I was very confident in the wave making capability. I also bought from a dealer in FL, which made a test ride a bit of an issue. I had a similar experience in my first outing. I had a DIALED Avalanche previously and the ZS wave blows it away!