Mike Vogler

2005 Avy Surf Wake help

Mike Vogler    0

Just bought a 2005 Avalanche Storm Series. Looking for some help on how to build a great Surf Wake. I also bought a Swell Wake Shaper version 2 with adjustable length and swivel.  Any help is much appreciated. Thx Mike

Troy. R    198

Hey Mike,

Congrats on the boat! I used to have an ‘07 Avy. It can really throw a great surf wave. I never used any type of wake shaper, but it’s my understanding that they are not useful with the Avy hull.

There are a few ways you can approach it. 1) go with custom fat sacs that fill the entire locker and area under the seat. 2) You’ll want to start by putting an 1100 lb. fat sac in the surf side corner. Then get another sac that fills up the entire area under the surf side seat. In my case, we all surfed regular, so I had 1100s in both lockers and a 580 under the port seat. It was all plumbed in and controlled by switches at the helm like it was factory.

There are other mods you can do like an asymmetrical winged trim tab but you’ll want to start by sinking the surf side rear corner.

• Like 1

Bigcatpt    408

What Troy said!  He knows his stuff.  

You can play around with the wake shaper if you want and probably get a pretty decent wave.  But trust me.....and the other 100's of Avy owners that have done both ways....... list that thing heavily to surf side and you will be blown away how big and beautiful the wave will be.  

DaveB    5

That is the exact boat I used to have 05 Avy Storm Series. All I used was a 1100lb sac in the rear port locker and we had a great wave , a little short but tons of push. If you add bow weigh it lengthened the wave but lost push. We also had a wake shaper, but never used it. For our goofy friends that I couldn't convert to surf on the " proper side" I had two 400lb sacs that we put in the walk thru.That boat has one of the best waves going in my opinion . Good Luck

Mike Vogler    0
On 6/2/2021 at 0:42 AM, Mike Vogler said:

Just bought a 2005 Avalanche Storm Series. Looking for some help on how to build a great Surf Wake. I also bought a Swell Wake Shaper version 2 with adjustable length and swivel.  Any help is much appreciated. Thx Mike

On 6/2/2021 at 6:02 AM, Troy. R said:

Hey Mike,

Congrats on the boat! I used to have an ‘07 Avy. It can really throw a great surf wave. I never used any type of wake shaper, but it’s my understanding that they are not useful with the Avy hull.

There are a few ways you can approach it. 1) go with custom fat sacs that fill the entire locker and area under the seat. 2) You’ll want to start by putting an 1100 lb. fat sac in the surf side corner. Then get another sac that fills up the entire area under the surf side seat. In my case, we all surfed regular, so I had 1100s in both lockers and a 580 under the port seat. It was all plumbed in and controlled by switches at the helm like it was factory.

There are other mods you can do like an asymmetrical winged trim tab but you’ll want to start by sinking the surf side rear corner.

Thank you very much for the info. Do i fill the center ballast?

Mike Vogler    0
9 hours ago, DaveB said:

That is the exact boat I used to have 05 Avy Storm Series. All I used was a 1100lb sac in the rear port locker and we had a great wave , a little short but tons of push. If you add bow weigh it lengthened the wave but lost push. We also had a wake shaper, but never used it. For our goofy friends that I couldn't convert to surf on the " proper side" I had two 400lb sacs that we put in the walk thru.That boat has one of the best waves going in my opinion . Good Luck

Thanks Dave much appreciated

Troy. R    198
2 hours ago, Mike Vogler said:

Thank you very much for the info. Do i fill the center ballast?

Yes, fill the center as well.

DaveB    5

I did fill mine if I didn't have a lot of people. I found with the port sac full and 4 - 5 people your port rail is pretty much under water so be careful, The centre tank and full of fuel you are about 600lbs.

Browntown    2

Totally agree, list that girl, put her on her side and ride here, LOL!  

I had a 2002 Avy that I had put over 800 hours on listing,  Wave was amazing for a boat that age... All until the dreaded day in September last year where I went outside to see just the nose of her sticking up in my slip.  She sunk, it was gut wrenching... 2020 can suck by big toe.  

All that being said I have a custom fat sac from her I had on the port side, I stole measurements from Duffy or Big cat back in 2012 and surfed amazing with only 1 other person in the boat that I'm not using.  It did get a pin hole in the bag from a screw being loose and under it and rubbing.  Anyone know how to patch these type of bags?   If so I'd give it away for the shipping and a case of beer.   I had reversible pumps so it only has a port in the back bottom to fill and empty and one on top for the vent/overfill port.   Let me know if your interested. You will love that wave!  

Troy    234

@Browntown Where are you located?

Browntown    2

@TroyI also need to say  the bag has been spoken for by another member of this page.   I got a replacement boat with the insurance money from the one that sunk that needed a total restoration and this guys been a lot of help showing me what he's done with his boat and gave me enough info to decide which way I wanted to go with mine.   

Edited by Browntown
  • Like 1

Troy    234

@Browntown Sounds good! Yea, I was on the fence about the bag. I hardly ever roll the boat to that side.  We all ride goofy.  Good luck with the restore! 

Browntown    2

@TroyThanks man! I had her in the water once and went to pressure test the ballast system, and the ball valve for the thru hull spit out a chunk of metal (previous owner hadn't used the ballast in years and was the only part I didn't replace, smh).  So closed it off went for a cruise and the shaft on the water pump walked out on me.  swapping out both of those tonight, hoping to get that girl leaned over this weekend!

• Like 1

rhino89523    34

I know I am a little late to the party but we use the shaper. My family is 50/50 regular and goofy and my friends as well. We put a bag in the locker under the hall way and another in the walkthrough that is an 800lb but I don't fill it till it looks like its going to pop. Then we have the one on the other side that fills the locker and under the seat. I don't usually fill the center tank because for whatever reason that one effects holeshot and doesn't seem to help the wave. I also have a cooler stuffed with beer etc. we put behind the drivers seat someone is usually sitting on. We just swap sides with the shaper. I don't usually run any bow ballast because there are usually at least 3 girls sitting up there and that seems to be enough weight to lengthen the wave. the wave is long enough 2 people can surf it and have room to move around and swap positions...a little dangerous for the record as there is no easier way to get a board to the head. I weigh like 270 right now and I can surf it easy and dont have to have the nose of my board on the swim deck. Most people who surf our boat say its the best wave they have ever surfed and some have been behind some pretty nice boats.

Shane MT    2

@Troy. R can you recommend dimensions or a link for the 580# under port side seat sack? I just picked up a 2005 Avy C4 and want to find a sack that fills that space. 

jtryon    24

dimensions for my typhoon are 10" height, 26" width under the passenger seat, so you can start there on wakemakers' site and get whatever length you need.  check here, for instance they have a 50"L x 25"W x 10"H which gives you 500lbs, or a 60" long for 610lbs, or 70" long for 710lbs.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198
On 3/15/2022 at 9:34 PM, Shane MT said:

@Troy. R can you recommend dimensions or a link for the 580# under port side seat sack? I just picked up a 2005 Avy C4 and want to find a sack that fills that space. 

Hi Shane,

I think this might be the one I used (now called a 650# sac:
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-rear-seat-sac.html

But like @jtryon said, you just need a sac that is 10 x 26 x length from rear locker to observer seat. 

• Like 1

Shane MT    2

Thank @jtryon and @Troy. R I got the FLY HIGH FATSAC 650 CENTER LOCKER / REAR SEAT BAG & SUPA TSUNAMI PUMP (650 LB) and it fits great.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198
9 hours ago, Shane MT said:

Thank @jtryon and @Troy. R I got the FLY HIGH FATSAC 650 CENTER LOCKER / REAR SEAT BAG & SUPA TSUNAMI PUMP (650 LB) and it fits great.

Awesome!
I'm glad it worked out for you.