Sign in to follow this  
Troy. R

Swim Platform Ladder Install

Troy. R    198

I installed a ladder on my swim platform last week. Without ballast, the ZS platform sits particularly high out of the water and it was difficult for my mother0in law among others to get back in the boat. I was a little hesitant to install the ladder when I was first going to do so last Saturday because the platform was so much lighter that the platform was on my old Avalanche. I thought there was a possibility that they were using a foam core of something on these newer platforms, so I called the local dealer. Of course the guy that knew the answer was off that day...

So I waited until Monday and called the factory. They informed me that the newer platforms are still solid fiberglass, but designed to be lighter. In addition, if you have a visible square under the fiberglass toward the middle back end under the platform, that is a reinforcement specifically for a ladder. They also said with the reinforcement, thru-bolting is not necessary. I said I was planning on using 1 1/8 x 1/4 stainless course thread screws and they said that is similar to what they use when they do factory ladder installs.

To install, I found the center point on the ladder/platform, marked the holes, predrilled the holes 1' deep, filled the holes with 2 part epoxy and installed the screws. It turned out to be super solid. I made the wife test it at first the next day. haha! Once it passed that test I tested (I'm 225-230). Stepped on gingerly at first then took my hands off the platform, then bounced on it a few times. Turned out very solid. I must say, it is very convenient for loading the boat as well as for entering the boat from the water. We water tested yesterday and it worked out great. No wave interference etc.

Only bad thing is it exposed that my platform is off center from the factory! The local dealer is going to fix that under warranty though...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRQ257T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Jetter    1

I have a ZS212 and same problem.  I have a bum shoulder (actually two of em) and everyone complains about how high my platform is out of the water - even with ballast.  The big question for me is did it affect your surf wave?

Troy. R    198
8 hours ago, Jetter said:

I have a ZS212 and same problem.  I have a bum shoulder (actually two of em) and everyone complains about how high my platform is out of the water - even with ballast.  The big question for me is did it affect your surf wave?

No issue with the wave! When underway the ladder is completely out of the water.

newtonabbie    1

Troy,

thus end up holding up well all season?  I assume, based on your description, that you bolted from the bottom up and did not go all the way through your platform?  You used a screw vs. a bolt and nut combo?  Did you check at the end of the season, had any come loose/sealing if the epoxy(love this idea)?

Troy. R    198

Hey @newtonabbie

i just had the boat out last Tuesday, and the ladder is a solid as ever.

newtonabbie    1

Tony, long time no talk.  How did the laser hold up last season?  What two part proxy did you use?  Did you fill the entire drill hole with the epoxy and then let it squeeze out as the screws went in?  Or just partially fill the holes?  

newtonabbie    1

Also, sorry, just saw my phone autocorrected your name to Tony instead of Troy.  Not sure why.  Sorry about that. 

Edited by newtonabbie

Troy. R    198

@newtonabbie The ladder is still as strong as ever.
I didn't use lock washers, just completely filled the pre-drilled holed with epoxy and installed the course thread stainless screws.

It's been a while, but I think I used the epoxy in the link below. I do recall that I did use the one with the spiral tip. That made it much easier to fill the holes.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50114-ClearWeld-Setting/dp/B07D1NX76J/ref=asc_df_B07D1NX76J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459725928622&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18319323690497151618&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018572&hvtargid=pla-946688618335&th=1

newtonabbie    1

Thank you.  Appreciate it.  I am having trouble finding 1 1/8” locally.  May have to order or else look at the platform depth when it comes out of storage to see if 1 1/4” will work.  Worst case I can add a 1/8” lock washer.   

Troy. R    198
6 hours ago, newtonabbie said:

Thank you.  Appreciate it.  I am having trouble finding 1 1/8” locally.  May have to order or else look at the platform depth when it comes out of storage to see if 1 1/4” will work.  Worst case I can add a 1/8” lock washer.   

Mine ladder actually came with the screws I used. Here’s the ladder I have:

YaeMarine 3 Step Telescoping Boat Ladder Stainless Ladder Under Platform Sliding Ladder for Marine with Spring Loaded Latch + a Carry Handle + Mounting Screws(8335SAR3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R67KDY1?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_GRBN056PP6NH5CJ1HMXT