Chris O    15

Got shaft, shaft support, and rudder picked up from the machine shop, took them a week.  Installed new bearings in the shaft support.  They were out of the normal ones, but skidim had these in stock, which is where I got the rudder box rebuild kit.  They are made out of vesconite, whatever that is.  Anyway got the shaft support mounted back up.  Put the shaft back in there, goes right though the middle of the hole in the hull, slid right through the shaft seal.  Got the flange back on, now comes the part I was hoping wasnt gonna be to much of a pain.  Got it up against the vdrive flange, wasnt off too much.  Loosened all the motor adjustments for side to side, crowbar, check with feeler gauge.  Repeat a couple times, and near as I can tell Im within .002".  Your doing it blind, which I dont like but near as I can tell its all good.  So feeling much better about this whole thing.  Mount up the rudder tonight, finish the exhaust, looking like we will make it to the lake on Sunday.

20210804_181614.jpg

20210804_181737.jpg

20210804_181831.jpg

DaveB    5

Good Job, congrats. I hope it all works out

Chris O    15

Life is good again.  Made it to the lake on Sunday.  Family excited to be back on the water.  I'm back to getting asked if I know we're sinking when we're listed to the rub rail!!!  HA,HA

Everything seems to be working great.  Just in time to with 100 plus degrees forecasted for the next week.

Happy with the FAE noticeably quieter, does add some spray to the wave, but pretty minor.

Chris O    15

Been hitting the lake hard the last couple weekends.  Great end to the summer.  Gotta take care of some chores around the house so we might be done for the year, lakes starting to get pretty low.  Most likely will be winterizing in  the the next couple of weeks.  You guys with year round warm weather have got me jealous.  Hope everybody is ending the summer on a high note.  

Chris O    15
On 8/7/2021 at 9:31 AM, DaveB said:

Good Job, congrats. I hope it all works out

Thanks Dave,

Did you ever see this boat up there?  It supposedly came from Vancouver Island.

Beerman    3

Hey Chris, that is my old boat. I haven't been on the site for a while but just jumped on to look around. I am happy to see it's in good hands and your family  is enjoying it. We owned it for 12 years and loved it. If we kept it I would have done the exhaust as well. 

• Like 1

Chris O    15

Awesome Beerman, thanks for taking such good care of it.  Its in super good shape for its age.

We're really enjoying the boat.

Got everything winterized, changed fluids, took out impeller, etc. last weekend.

Only issue is that in order to get the impeller out had to remove the exhaust due to swapping out the sideswipe, it was so close.  

Pro tip for everybody with a heater.  Not sure where I read it, probably on here.  Take off the heater hoses and use an air compressor to blow out the water.  Dump some rv antifreeze in there and run the air compressor again till it comes out.  Even though I ran rv antifreeze through the whole system there was still some water in the heater.

Winter projects include:

Add in valve for winterizing/flushing system.  This one:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=40615

And get the infinity wave system installed.

Hope everybody has a good winter.

Hope next spring comes soon.

• Like 1

Chris O    15

Alright days are getting a little longer, chickens are starting to lay eggs again, sun is shinning, almost time to hit the lake.  Ha, who am I kidding its still January.  But the sun was shinning on Saturday and got this accomplished.  

Before

20220122_105549.jpg

20220122_122507.jpg

Chris O    15

Done

Just wasnt room to fit it all between the intake and the v-drive.

I have no idea what kind of fittings these blue fittings are, but they seem strong enough and this is all under low pressure.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=40615

https://www.amazon.com/Seawater-Strainer-1-1-4-inch/dp/B000N9Q3MM/ref=sr_1_23?crid=4OK9BARHP18Z&keywords=SHERWOOD+SEA+STRAINER+1.25"+Item+%23%3ASHE18016&qid=1642621271&sprefix=sherwood+sea+strainer+1.25+item+she18016%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-23

Avy06    5
On 8/3/2021 at 9:22 AM, Chris O said:

Pics

fae11.jpg

fae7.jpg

fae6.jpg

Chris, I love the way your FAE turned out. I am in the process of ordering one right now,, just got my email order confirmation. It looks like you don't have any other support bars on the FAE with the way yours is mounted?  I really like this look. I saw another thread Here that they removed the stock black muffler rings. Need to talk to FAE and see If I can copy this setup. 

Seattle996    1
On 1/24/2022 at 11:41 AM, Chris O said:

Pic20220122_142120new.jpg.2704269bf5a0fb962fff09d95ebd69d3.jpg 

@Chris O how do you like this setup now that you have been running this summer?  I'm thinking of doing the same as my boat launches from the most algae/grass infested area around.  Curious to your thoughts on the setup and location of install?

Edited by Seattle996

Chris O    15

Avy06,

Yeah, no other support, its got machine bolts and 3M 5200, its super solid.

When your putting everything together on the inside make sure youve got enough room to get to your impeller.

I didnt give myself enough and to change my impeller I've got to remove a portion of the exhaust. 

Ive been real happy with it.

Chris

Chris O    15

Seattle996,

The flushing and strainer setup has been great.  Although any lake I've been in has been pretty clean.  No leaks, no change in water flow to impeller that I can tell.

I wouldve liked to get the strainer before the vdrive but there just wasnt enough room. 

Makes winterizing and dewinterizing way easier. 

Chris

Chris O    15
On 9/8/2022 at 6:30 AM, N901 said:

Nice work Chris! Decided to sell my 2006 Avy C4. 

Hope its cause your upgrading!!!

N901    4

That's the plan. Just hoping to sell this thing before I have to winterize and store.