Sign in to follow this  
Troy. R

Doomswell nubstep/neo

Troy. R    198

I’m looking for a new surf style board that I can advance my riding on, but would prefer Tony to spend the $ on a custom. I recently have been looking at the Doomswell Nubstep, Doimswell Neo, and IS G-Ride. The G-Ride is essential the same as the old Flyboy which I really like, but would need the larger 142 (I ride the smaller version semi-regularly). Any opinions or thoughts on these boards?

Troy. R    198

I intended to say, "would prefer NOT to spend the $ on a custom..."

Jmoore15    0

I have the nub step and original flyboy. In my opinion there is no comparison between the two w the flyboy out performing on both speed and carving. Under my feet (and my crew) the nub is very slow but definitely more stable Han the flyboy. 

Troy. R    198

Thanks for the input @Jmoore15. It's good to hear from someone with first hand experience on both. On the IS website I was a little confused by the description on the 142 G-Ride and it made me a little nervous. It says that it's 4'6", but 142cm is 4'8". 4'6" would be too small for me at 6'2" 220lbs. I just tried to go back and double check and their website seems to be having issues.

Have you ever ridden a Neo? if so, how does it compare? It seems to be very similar to the Nubstep, but with a blunt nose, but it's hard to tell until you get it under your feet.

Jmoore15    0

I have not ridden the neo. However, I spoke w the guys at Doomswell and the nub and neo are pretty much the same except for the blunt/pointed nose. My guess is they would ride pretty similar. 

Troy. R    198
1 hour ago, Jmoore15 said:

I have not ridden the neo. However, I spoke w the guys at Doomswell and the nub and neo are pretty much the same except for the blunt/pointed nose. My guess is they would ride pretty similar. 

Thanks for the input!

Troy    234

I have both the Neo and Nub. I like the Nub better. Seems faster and easier to carve.  Out of all the boards if ridden I like the Nub the best.  Ive tried a few Soul's and IS's but not the G-Ride. I still love my Neo and if I want a more forgiving board (rough lake) then I'll hop on the Neo and have a great ride.  If the water is good, it will be the Nub.  With your new supreme I think either board 4'6" would be fine.  My buddy is 6'4" about 220 or so and he rides my 4'6" with out issues.  The 4'8" lets him recover easier but loses some of his ability to throw the board around on the wave. He just ordered a Blu Surf. I can't wait to try it out! Happy shopping!

Troy. R    198
2 hours ago, Troy said:

I have both the Neo and Nub. I like the Nub better. Seems faster and easier to carve.  Out of all the boards if ridden I like the Nub the best.  Ive tried a few Soul's and IS's but not the G-Ride. I still love my Neo and if I want a more forgiving board (rough lake) then I'll hop on the Neo and have a great ride.  If the water is good, it will be the Nub.  With your new supreme I think either board 4'6" would be fine.  My buddy is 6'4" about 220 or so and he rides my 4'6" with out issues.  The 4'8" lets him recover easier but loses some of his ability to throw the board around on the wave. He just ordered a Blu Surf. I can't wait to try it out! Happy shopping!

Cool! Thanks for the input Troy. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I’ll update when I do.

Do you have any experience on the old IS Flyboy? It’s the same board as the G-Ride.

Troy    234
On 2/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, Troy. R said:

Cool! Thanks for the input Troy. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I’ll update when I do.

Do you have any experience on the old IS Flyboy? It’s the same board as the G-Ride.

I haven't rode a Flyboy either. Sorry.   

Troy. R    198

@Troy what year are your Neo and Nub?
I talked to Brock from Doomswell yesterday and he said they are essentially the same board nowadays (same rails, tail, concave). He said the only real difference is that the NEO has the blunt nose which gives it a little more surface area and makes it a little more buoyant. I'm wondering if the difference you experience on your boards is due to changes over the years.

Troy    234

My Neo is from 2016 (might be a 2015 board) and my Nub is a 2019/2020. Couldn't find the picture of it when i bought it.