KDiggles    0

Hey all, I am new here trying to get back into boating after many years.  I have a 2006 Centurion Avalanche I really like.  It is mostly in great shape with about 500 hours.  Only real down side is 3 cracks on the starboard gunwale and corner of the transom.  The sales guy is insists they are cosmetic, but I am not sure how to tell.  Anyone have thoughts on this?  I only snapped a picture on the starboard cracks.  The stern crack goes horizontally around the corner just below the gunwale.  I am considering moving forward with this one if they are truly cosmetic.  He said it wasn't worth fixing cosmetic issues on a boat of this age...  Interested in hearing some feedback.

2021-01-19a.jpg

Troy. R    198

They do look like gel coat cracks to me from the pic, but it’s hard to say for sure. How deep do the cracks appear to be? If it is just gel cost, they can be fixed pretty easily and relatively cheap.

Troy. R    198

That would make me look in a different direction. There could be underlying issues that will arise even if you have them repaired. Then you’ve just bought yourself a headache... Now that’s not necessarily the case, but a possibility.

Troy. R    198

I should also add, the fiberglass is pretty substantial on these boats. It takes a lot to crack.

Bigcatpt    408

Not unusual to have hairline cracks in the gelcoat on corners and around screw holes on these older models. These look a little more substantial than hairline cracks.   I would do a little deeper investigation to see if they are deeper than gelcoat.  If it is only gelcoat then its no big deal and only cosmetic. Fix them if you want.... or not.  If it is a crack in the fiberglass then that would be a deal breaker for me.   

• Like 1