Sylvansurfer

2012 SV233 or 2014 SV233

Hi all. I am looking for a great surf boat and trying to decide between a 2012 SV233, 409, 275 hours, $75k and a 2014 SV233, 343, ramfill, CATS, 325 hours, $80k. Both boats are 2nd owner, both at same dealer, dealer sold and serviced both. I am familiar with debate between 409 and 343 and would normally favor the extra power. My last boat was a 6.2 450. I am not familiar with ramfill and CATS options and merits. Fwiw the 2014 has much nicer color combo. We boat at Sylvan Lake, Alberta- elevation 3,200'. Thanks in advance for your advice/views. 

Dreamer    96

I had a 2014 SV244 with a 409 and it was a great boat. If you opt for the smaller engine it can be re-propped to perform at your elevation. My boat did not have Ramfill but did have CATS, which is really nice option to firm up the wake if your wakesurf  crew is small. The early years of Ramfill have valve issues but there is a solution (search this forum) if you go that way.

Edited by Dreamer

Troy. R    198

As Dreamer said, you can compensate for the lower hp of the 343 with the right prop. IMO the Ramfill and CATS would be the deciding factors. 2yrs newer, Ramfill, and CATS make the ‘14 more valuable on the resale market when you decide to sell. I never surfed an Enzo without Ram/CATS, but I would guess the wave will be marginally better because of those 2 features. Last “pro” I can think of off the top of my head with the ‘14 is if you have regular and goofy riders in your crew, switching sides will be much easier.

I would mention that if you are planning on compensating for the smaller motor with a different prop, verify that there will be enough clearance to put the prop that you really want on it.  Centurions and Supremes on a lot of models experience prop burn because there is not enough clearance between the prop and the hull...which was my unfortunate experience with a 2015 S226 I had.  I know that some SV models had issues as well.  I had the smaller motor in that supreme and had to downsize my prop, because of prop burn the high elevation prop caused.    Boating at 5,000 feet always left me wanting more power when I was completely full of ballast and people.    

Bigcatpt    408

I think if you chose the one with the 343 engine at your elevation you are ALWAYS going to be wishing you had the bigger motor.  

I boat at 4600 to 6000 elevation and bought an Avalanche with the smaller motor.  We figured it out and had to have the weighting just right all the time. It worked but we always were surfing at full throttle.  For this reason get the bigger motor.    

I also agree that 2 year newer boat with Ramfill and CATS will hold its value way better over time.  

I now have a 2015 SV244.  The Ramfill is awesome and the CATS allows you to really adjust and dial in your wave on both sizes on the fly without having to move people or fill and empty ballast. 

You have a tough choice...... Motor vs newer/Ramfill/CATS. 

If it was me I would wait until you find the 2014 with the 409 or 450 with CATS and Ramfill.  Don't settle.  Be patient.   

Thanks a bunch for all your advice guys. I decided the 2014 SV233 was my best option (newer, CATS, Ramfill, updated touchscreen, high altitude Acme 1847 prop, better looking exterior/interior) and made a deal today - HOORAY!  The boat market in western Canada is much smaller and is crazy hot right now (as it turned out the 2012 SV233 I was considering also sold today) so I am thrilled to have secured a great surf boat now. The dealer agreed to give me first shot if any comparable Centurions came in on trade with 409 in the next few months. Many thanks to everyone on the Centurion Crew site for all the great posts - this is such a great resource. 

• Like 2

Troy. R    198
7 hours ago, Sylvansurfer said:

Thanks a bunch for all your advice guys. I decided the 2014 SV233 was my best option (newer, CATS, Ramfill, updated touchscreen, high altitude Acme 1847 prop, better looking exterior/interior) and made a deal today - HOORAY!  The boat market in western Canada is much smaller and is crazy hot right now (as it turned out the 2012 SV233 I was considering also sold today) so I am thrilled to have secured a great surf boat now. The dealer agreed to give me first shot if any comparable Centurions came in on trade with 409 in the next few months. Many thanks to everyone on the Centurion Crew site for all the great posts - this is such a great resource. 

Congratulations! That’s a great boat!

Post a pic!

Troy    234

Awesome! Pics?