Schnboo    0

Hey everyone. I just picked up my "new to me" 2019 ZS232 from the guys at NWBS in Portland Oregon. Boat is winterized and I want to learn what it takes to winterize/dewinterize. I'm not waiting for summer. I have a drysuit from my last boat (02 Pro V) and doing the winter rides. Is there a link to the steps somewhere or anyone have a good procedure they use? I tried the search bar but didn't find anything.  Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Schnboo

Troy. R    198

Hey @Schnboo,

Congrats on the new boat! I also have a 2019 ZS232. You're going to love it!
I am in AZ, so I am likely not going to do a extensive of a winterization as you are in the PNW. I know many in colder climates cycle antifreeze into their powertrain and ballast. I just drain the water out of the engine/trans/v-drive. Attached are the generic PCM owners Manual and an additional technical info document. The tech info doc shows you where all of the water drain plugs are for your engine on page 11.

https://pcmengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/PEG-Generic-Owners-Manual-Text_Final-min.pdf

https://pcmengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/PCM-MPI-Website-Technical-Information.pdf

Schnboo    0

Thanks Troy!! This exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure I'd get a response here. Seems like people are using the Facebook page more. I love the boat and haven't even had it out yet! I've been scheming this purchase for some time now. I'm coming from an 02 Calabria Pro V. So needless to say, I've got a lot to learn.  I did all my own maintenance and plan to do what I can with this one. Thanks again!

Troy. R    198

I was a regular here years ago when I had my Avalanche and back then this site was hoppin’! It’s too bad to see how slow the traffic is here now. I don’t have and refuse to get a FB page, so that’s not an option for me...

I’m the same in terms of maintenance.

Coming from an ‘07 Centurion Avalanche, I’ll say oil changes are much easier on the PCM than the black scorpion. The remote oil filter makes it so easy and clean. I was also able to get just about every drop of oil out of the pan from the drain tube using my oil extractor.

I’ve added some pretty good wave setup advice for the ZS232 in another thread as well based on the tinkering I’ve done.

Troy. R    198

@Schnboo,

I thought of another maintenance related note. The PCM manual from 2019 recommends 15w-40 motor oil. Since then they came out with a service advisory recommending 5w-30 dexos2 oil instead.

https://pcmengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/SAP2019-01-Updated-Specifications-for-Engine-Oil2.pd_.pdf

Schnboo    0

Troy I believe I've read somewhere about the recall to switch over to the 5w-30 but I don't recall seeing a brand. I'll keep this in mind for the future. I haven't recieved the owner packet from the dealer yet but I requested info on what products they used for the oil change and impeller. I'm waiting for the weather to get a little better so I can dewinterize and get it in the water to do a self demo. I didn't get to at the dealer because there were other offers on it when I put the deposit on it. So I wanted to get it and worry about running it later.

Schnboo    0

The factory warranty will transfer over since there was only one owner so I was confident taking it without running it.

Troy. R    198
13 hours ago, Schnboo said:

The factory warranty will transfer over since there was only one owner so I was confident taking it without running it.

I get that. I bought mine new site unseen from a dealer in Florida. I called, found out what options it had (loaded) and put the deposit down right then.

Troy. R    198
14 hours ago, Schnboo said:

Troy I believe I've read somewhere about the recall to switch over to the 5w-30 but I don't recall seeing a brand. I'll keep this in mind for the future. I haven't recieved the owner packet from the dealer yet but I requested info on what products they used for the oil change and impeller. I'm waiting for the weather to get a little better so I can dewinterize and get it in the water to do a self demo. I didn't get to at the dealer because there were other offers on it when I put the deposit on it. So I wanted to get it and worry about running it later.

Dexos2 is not a brand. Its a specification. All the major oil brands make a dexos2 compliant 5w-30. The 5w-30 sure makes it easier to extract. The 25w-40 I used to run in my Avalanche was a pain to extract!

Schnboo    0

I was reading that today actually. 25w-40 seems like it would be a pain in the tush even warmed up.

SandyBrown    0

Also preparing for the winter on my boat, thanks for the information Troy;)

Edited by SandyBrown

Troy. R    198

Happy to help. We’re actually supposed to hit a low of 34 tonight and I’ve been so busy every weekend with my son’s club baseball team that haven’t done mine yet. Granted it won’t be sustained, so it won’t freeze the water inside the block, but still a little to cold for comfort.

I’ll have to make time this weekend.

Schnboo    0

@Troy. R  I still have had very little time to get into the boat with the weather, work and family stuff. I'm wondering if all it would take to dewinterize would be as simple as making sure the motor/v drive fluids are topped off and making sure all the plugs are in. The only time I was able to get into the boat was when I swapped out the damp rid bags and installed the dual bank charger. I did play with the controls a little but that was about it. Until my shop/garage is built this summer the boat is covered with the factory cover and then I have this massive harbor freight tarp over the whole thing with paracord tied every whisch way I could tie....

Troy. R    198
1 hour ago, Schnboo said:

@Troy. R  I still have had very little time to get into the boat with the weather, work and family stuff. I'm wondering if all it would take to dewinterize would be as simple as making sure the motor/v drive fluids are topped off and making sure all the plugs are in. The only time I was able to get into the boat was when I swapped out the damp rid bags and installed the dual bank charger. I did play with the controls a little but that was about it. Until my shop/garage is built this summer the boat is covered with the factory cover and then I have this massive harbor freight tarp over the whole thing with paracord tied every whisch way I could tie....

You’re right. As long as all of the plugs are in, hoses are connected, and impeller is installed (I’ve heard of people removing the impeller for the winter, but I never have) the only other thing to look for is, there’s also a shutoff valve near the raw water inlet on the starboard side. Double check and make sure it is open. For extra piece of mind, you could run it on the trailer using a fake-a-lake before heading out.

On the plugs/hoses, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be in. I always reinstall mine as soon as all of the water drains out of each location.

It might be worth a call to NWBS to find out exactly what they do when winterizing and what they recommend for de-winterizing.

Schnboo    0

@Troy. RI emailed the salesman that sold me the boat and he's asked that question to the tech but I haven't heard anything back. I will make a new fake a lake and run it in the driveway just to make sure everything is hooked up. Like you said, the plugs should all be installed as I wasn't given a bag of plugs when I took delivery so I think I'm good there. I'll look thru the manuals you sent me for locations and do a qwik spot check for all of them. We get a short freeze period in Late Jan early Feb. Once that is done I'm gonna run it and learn the systems. I want to make sure the fill and drain timers are set appropriately and then figure out where to put the 500 in lead. and tune the tabs. I'm thinking surf season for me is about to start!

Thanks again for your insight!

Troy. R    198

@Schnboo on the drain plugs, there were a few options on the tech info link. Mine had the blue plastic plugs which made it a little easier. Mine even has hoses coming off of the exhaust manifolds similar to the block, which made them easier to access once I found them.

I use something similar to this for running out of water:

Inboard Engine Motor Flusher Fake a Lake Ski Boat Mastercraft Malibu Nautique https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H93R2IO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Ya4dGbYJHQS31

I did time out my ballast, but I need to do it again. I was distracted and didn’t get them quite right. When draining, I like to drive slow enough to not plane out pushing all of the water to the rear of the tanks. That way you can get all of the water out.

Schnboo    0
2 minutes ago, Troy. R said:

@Schnboo on the drain plugs, there were a few options on the tech info link. Mine had the blue plastic plugs which made it a little easier. Mine even has hoses coming off of the exhaust manifolds similar to the block, which made them easier to access once I found them.

I use something similar to this for running out of water:

Inboard Engine Motor Flusher Fake a Lake Ski Boat Mastercraft Malibu Nautique https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H93R2IO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Ya4dGbYJHQS31

I did time out my ballast, but I need to do it again. I was distracted and didn’t get them quite right. When draining, I like to drive slow enough to not plane out pushing all of the water to the rear of the tanks. That way you can get all of the water out.

Dude that looks almost exactly like the one I built. I borrowed a buddies "real" fake a lake and after using it, I thought I'd just build one. 

Troy. R    198
9 hours ago, Schnboo said:

Dude that looks almost exactly like the one I built. I borrowed a buddies "real" fake a lake and after using it, I thought I'd just build one. 

Ok. Gotcha. I wasn’t sure if you were referring to this type of device, or adding a tee with a hose bib on the inlet line.

Schnboo    0
13 hours ago, Troy. R said:

Ok. Gotcha. I wasn’t sure if you were referring to this type of device, or adding a tee with a hose bib on the inlet line.

I suppose I could do either really. I guess if I did the "t" I'd have to run the hose into the motor compartment over the cushions so I'd probably just do the plunger.

Troy. R    198
1 hour ago, Schnboo said:

I suppose I could do either really. I guess if I did the "t" I'd have to run the hose into the motor compartment over the cushions so I'd probably just do the plunger.

My 2 cents, the “plunger” requires no modification and works just fine.