Mrwick

Prop shaft seal replacement 2013 V226

Mrwick    65

Just in case anyone else out there with a 226 have problems with a leaky prop shaft seal, don’t fret.  I changed mine out when I was winterizing a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it actually was.  As I was first assessing the job, I figured it was really going to suck but i didn’t have to tear much apart.  Unhooked hoses, pressure switch wire, shift cable clamp, 4 bolts on the shaft coupler, and 6 bolts on the vdrive to tranny mount.  With a cherry picker, the vdrive just fit through the access hole under the back seat.  Removed the coupler nut and used a coupler puller to pop the coupler loose from the shaft.  Installed a new OJ props serviceless seal assembly and put it all back together.  Whole job took about 3.5 hours and the only help I had is from my daughter who ran the cherry picker for me.  I would add picks but the site says I’m out of space.....hope this helps somebody else save a little cash buy doing this yourself!

tnv226    0

Same boat. Tired of all the leaky shaft jokes from my wife, have to get this fixed before summer. I also figured this was a terrible job and should pay someone, but got a ridiculous quote from a local dealer who said "we just cut the shaft out" before even looking at it. Your post convinced me to maybe try this myself.

A few Q's... is this the kind of puller you used to get the coupler off? Coupler Flange Removal Tool - Coupler Removal Tool by Buck Algonquin (50MCP00500) (propshopinc.com)

Did you just pound it back on or use another tool? Also, I don't have a cherry picker but I'm thinking a come-along attached to the tower might work to get the v-drive out with a second set of hands, set it on some cardboard in the boat while working, think that will work? Did you find anything else down there worth fixing while it was apart? I have found handfuls of screws nuts and bolts in my hull since it was new, probably oughta look for where they came from. 

This is the seal I'm going with...GLIDE Marine Seal System (GMSS) Kit | Glide Bearings

Any other tips you can share? Should I try yoga to prepare for the contortion necessary to get that v-drive out? Getting in there to mess with the progressively worsening seal always ended with a pinched nerve lol