I assume I can use this https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/cooling-system-drain-plug type of quick drain plug for the smaller of the two plugs on my exhaust manifolds on a PCM 6.0 ZR409?

Where can I find a quick drain plug to use for the other exhaust manifold plugs that are bigger?

Plug 2.jpg

Edited by scotchipman1

InfinitySurf    302

No, those blue plugs are only for the newer H5 & H6 engines. The thread and the size will not be right.

If you are looking for replacement plugs, I think your best bet is too look at some of the NTP gas fittings that you can find at hardware stores/Lowes, etc. I think the 2 sizes on the ZR409 engine are 1/2" and 3/4".

What is your goal, you looking for replacements or are you looking for something you can remove/re-install quicker without tools to make draining the water quicker? I would definitely not use plastic on this engine, the design on the H5/H6 is different which allows those blue plastic plugs to work.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the blue plugs! 

I'm looking for something to make draining the water quick and easy for early spring and late fall when we get freezing temperatures and I'm still using my boat.

InfinitySurf    302

I use my boat thru Thanksgiving every year and occaionally also thru December  (I also have the ZR409), and I looked into this a couple years ago. You can get those hole sizes in brass with a 3/8" barbed fitting on the end... see link for example ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-1-2-in-Barbed-Barb-x-MIP-Adapter-Fitting/1000504953 )

I then put a short length of tube over the barbed fitting with a petcock knob on it so with a quick twist you can open and drain. The reason I decided to not use this method is cause it reduces the diameter of the drain enough that I am worried one of the drains could potentially clog and I would not know it till I had an issue if the clog didn't allow a full drain. When I drain I will open the drains and then use a shop vac to pull out as much water as possible which also helps to ensure there are no blockages and it keeps water out of my bilge since I do this in my garage. Anyway, I decided to not risk doing it this way on my boat. I have seen other people do something similar, just made me too nervous. Another deciding factor for me was I built a new home in 2018 and I built a detached garage for my boat which includes heat/AC so if temps drop I can turn on the heat.

There are likely other and better options out there that I did not see, just figured I would share what I tried. Good luck finding something that works for you

• Like 1

Thanks for the post and the link, I may by those. When I do finally put the boat away from winter I would pull any of the quickdrain stuff completely out so that any debris would hopefully come out as well.