DMMontana

Avalanche C4 Surf Help

DMMontana    1

Hello,

Three weeks ago my wife and I purchased our first surf boat.  It is a 2006 Centurion Avalanche C4.  It is equipped with 500lb port and starboard bags,  250lb center tank, and the switchblade.  I’ve been using a wake shaper as well.  With boat evenly weighted (1250+switchblade) we are able to go ropeless but the pocket seems short.  I have read all over the sites trying to figure it out. Many of the posters have said no weight in the bow of an avy.  Some say yes to bow weight.  I put 400lbs of hot flesh up front and it didn’t seem to help.  I’ve had the switchblade set at 1 through 7 with 4 seeming to be the best position.  So essentially I have three questions that I can hopefully get sorted out.

1. With a switchblade does a wakeshaper help that much? 2. With the switchblade do I need more ballast in the port and starboard locker? 3. With switchblade do I need weight up front?

This is my first post ever so I am sorry if I have messed something up.  If these seem like redundant questions I am also sorry.  I have read and searched every article I can find on here and WW and can not find many posts that include the switchblade and a wake shaper.  Majority talk about listing the boat with a switchblade rather than even weight with a shaper.  Thanks in advance for any information you have available. 

Troy. R    198

Your boat will perform much better if you lean it rather than use the wake shaper. I used to run an 1100# sac in each locker and a 580# sac under the port seat along with the factory center tank (we rarely had goofy riders). With the 1100 in the port locker full, the 580 full, and the center tank full it would throw an amazing wave (I didn’t have a switchblade). I would imagine the switchblade would only enhance it.

With what you currently have, I’d try filling just the surf side locker and center tank then have everyone sit in the surf side corner and play with the blade from there. You might even want to try stacking your 500s in the surf side locker if you’re able to do that. If you try stacking them you’ll want to reinforce your locker dividers with some metal U-channel. Otherwise they can bend and pop out of the channel at the bottom.

Eventually though, you’re going to want to upgrade to 1100s in the lockers at a minimum.

As far as bow weight, it can help lengthen the wave, but you’ll need way more weight towards the back before you worry about that.

DMMontana    1

Thank you Troy.  I was trying to use a wake shaper since I surf regular and my brother is goofy.  I will try to get some larger bags.  I have the side swipe so not sure if I can fit 1100 in each locker.   I’m also contemplating selling the switchblade and switching to a trim tab.  Thank you for the help.   

Troy. R    198

I know others have had covers fabricated for their sideswipe hoses so they could still run large bags without worrying about damaging the exhaust hoses. Something to consider...

jtryon    24

i have the sideswipe covers that came with my typhoon that are yours if you want to pay shipping.

do you have an adjustable trim tab?  if so, have the trim tab all the way up and no bow weight.  lean it for the best wave if you're sticking with that weight for the season--full center ballast and full ballast only on the side you're surfing, with people also sitting on that side.  upgrade bags in the off-season :)

Bigcatpt    408

What Troy R said above.  Spot on!!!!  The weight, the lean, everything.  Switchblade will help all of that.  Ditch the shaper.  Learn to love the lean!  No more that one hottie in a bikini up front.  

DMMontana    1

Thanks for all the advice.  The bags I have are a weird backwards L shape. Not like an Enzo bag.  I loaded one in my truck and weighed it at a truck scale and it is 505lbs.  The way it’s shaped it would fit perfectly under the observer seat and then under the port side seats.  If I run that bag there and then put an 1100 in the port locker it sounds like I’ll be able to lean it over plenty.   Plus the switchblade.  Does this sound like a good set up?  Also I will take those covers.  

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

You want the majority of the weight as far back as possible. You really need to start by filling the surf side locker, then go from there.

When I had my Avy the port side rub rail was under water In the rear corner when my ballast was filled for regular side surfing.

DMMontana    1

Ok Troy.  I’m ordering new bags right now. I was going to try to get some custom sacs made but they’re backordered for two months.  I only have a week or two of weather left here so I’m just going with the jumbo sac and a tube for under the seats.  Gonna put the corner under water.  

Troy. R    198

Jumbo (1100s) for the lockers are perfect. They fill all of the available space.
You can actually fit a 650 (sorry for the confusion, when I did my ballast they called it a 580) under the port seat. It will fill from the locker to the observer compartment.
This is the one:
https://www.bakesonline.com/fly-high-w705-pro-x-series-650-center-locker-rear-seat-ballast-sac.html?ff=1&fp=169&gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTKfgWpsbuXI_g_b_IRwvxLEazkeRRzzYrvVNrDeIqDiA0dkbPgILWRoCfeEQAvD_BwE

Troy    234

Personally, I would wait and build a custom sac.  I went from 1100's to custom, wish I saved the cash and just went custom first off.  

Troy    234

My 08 Avy listed. Just my wife in the boat. 

DB0B57CC-1F38-4467-8012-1777B3AE0A17.jpeg

• Like 2

DMMontana    1

Should I be looking for a trim tab or Aplate?  I’ve read about people running a trim tab with the switchblade.  My hull has a recession in the transom that appears to be where a trim tab would be.  I’m still contemplating pulling the switchblade and adding a lenco trim tab.   

DMMontana    1

Also if I can get a wave like that I’ll be extremely happy.   That’s why I searched a few months to get an avalanche.  

eyeguy    0

Troy, That is a good looking wake! my  boat is 3 inches more narrow on each side of center so not sure how much that will affect wake and the weight needed would probably be a little less to get the same amount of list. Seems like a wakeshaper would still help buy maybe with that amount of list the shaper is nearly out of the water?

Edited by eyeguy

Troy    234
On 9/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, jtryon said:

Troy do you have an a-plate or double winged plate in that pic?

A-plate

Troy    234
On 9/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, eyeguy said:

Troy, That is a good looking wake! my  boat is 3 inches more narrow on each side of center so not sure how much that will affect wake and the weight needed would probably be a little less to get the same amount of list. Seems like a wakeshaper would still help buy maybe with that amount of list the shaper is nearly out of the water?

When mine is listed, a shaper would be out the water.  I'll share a picture of mine ready to surf when I get a chance from my phone.  An Avy throws a beautiful wave.  Love the shape and push my wave has.  

Troy    234

DMMontana. Let’s see the transom of your Avy. 
My boat listed. Little different depending on crew. But basically the same. 

03979814-3AC3-48B5-9A55-B0D39B979212.jpeg

6AC08462-43CC-490A-BC1D-6B8B5D988D85.jpeg

87721D13-F176-4783-A0AD-6C4F119838DC.jpeg