Sign in to follow this  
YoDaddy

Possibly new to Me 89 Falcon

YoDaddy    0

Looking at an 89 Centurion Falcon closed bow 20' What are the common issues with these boats? have not had one but have owned boats for 30+ years. Thanks for any constructive input you may have.

Timr71    30

Well, I don't know when I became "that guy" but I'm going to give you "that guy" response. I'm active on a number of boat forums and there's always someone who points out these items.

First though, are you looking for a boat that is ready to go to the lake or looking for a project...or something in between?

Understand this: it's a 30 year old boat that you're looking at. I would think that you need to try to uncover as much as you can about the boat's history and it's care. Because of these two things: 1. The boats stringer structure and floor contains wood and 2. poorly maintained engine could be a bundle of issues.

Let's talk about that wood first. There's wood in the stringers, floor, and transom. All of it was encapsulated in fiberglass. And that fiberglass probably held water at bay for maybe up to 20 years. A lot if it depends on how the boat was cared for. If it has spent its entire time in someone's garage then it's possible that none of those areas contain rot. If it's been left outside, un-covered, it's likely that some if not all three of those areas are rotting. That would also mean that the boat contains wet flotation foam.

When you look at the boat, look for any sings of rot and water damage in the bilge and feel the floor for soft spots. Also put a wrench on the engine mount bolts, if they're tight, it's probable that there's dry wood in the stringers, if they spin with little to no resistance, they're probably rotten. Google: tournament ski boat stringer replacement and read some stringer threads over on correccraftfan.com.

Are you wanting to tackle a full stringer replacement restoration?  

The engine stuff is a bit easier. Just try to determine if it's been winterized properly. Look for signs that water was left in it during the winter and therefore things including the block could be cracked. 

Obviously, run the engine, drive the boat if you can. Wear items are less problematic. 

Good luck! Post pics. Do as much research as you can.

-Tim 

YoDaddy    0

Following up....  So its not an 89, its an 88, see picture, Im told its a Hawke, 21' Needs a little interior work but the Hull is solid and the Outside is almost perfect. What is this Boat worth? I have the opportunity to pick it up for 7K

88 centurion1.jpg

Timr71    30

7K sounds reasonable. If this is the boat that you want...get it as cheap as you can.  My cousin, Uncle and I did a full restoration on an 88 Falcon a couple of years ago.  It's a nice boat.  Good luck.