Supremeblue    0

Just purchased a 2018 S224.  Love it, and trying to find a solution to swapping fenders on and off.  Looked at Taco hooks, Quick Cleats, Stainless Steel Fender Lock Kit (on Amazon), and quick release bumper hooks.  However, most I'd have to drill through he gunwale and still don't know how I'd get the bolt connected on the underside once its through the gunwale.

The other options are screwing something through the side.  Before I do anything, wanted to see what solutions other owners have found.  I used to use a basic carabiner clip, but it left marks on the gelcoat.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

InfinitySurf    302

Do it once. These Phender Pros (or similar) will last and will look good. I have used them on several boats and they are very handy to have and it leaves your cleats for tying off. (FYI.... I was going to do this myself but instead I used a strong paracord rope on my fenders so I can hook them to my cleats and still have plenty of space to tie off.

You can get under the gunwale in some places without too much issue, you just gotta plan it. Near the transom should be fairly easy due to the lockers..... also under observers seat should give you access as well as under driver helm if you remove the panel. Typically near the tower legs, above the cup holders is a cutout that will also allow you to get a hand in there under gunwale. Gunwale is where a lot of your wiring is run so be sure to investigate carefully before poking holes.

Any gelcoat drilling, make sure you have the right tools and take your time, you want to always drill in reverse till you are fully thru the gelcoat (if you go in forward you can literally tear chunks of gelcoat out). Once hole is drilled, you want to carefully chamfer the edges of the holes so you do not get gelcoat spider cracking. Use thread locker so you can make them snug but dont have to torque down the thru-hull pieces since torquing something down along with no chamfer is what starts gelcoat spider cracks.

https://www.amazon.com/Phender-Pro-8-Inch-Stainless-Release/dp/B07MVCXHP2/ref=asc_df_B07MVCXHP2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343985504572&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12028216156765839506&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009906&hvtargid=pla-755874823430&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69358348055&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343985504572&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12028216156765839506&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009906&hvtargid=pla-755874823430

volzalum    280

It only takes a few seconds to tie the fenders to the cleats and adjust them to the correct height for what you are tying against. Also, just put longer ropes on the fenders so you can use them to tie off to whatever you are agains also. I have 25' ropes on my fenders. If you have a dock you own, then ties permanent fenders to it.

But as Infinity said, you can access under from a few locations. you can also remove the inboat speakers and reach many of the places under there.

Troy. R    198

I'm with Volz here.
I don't think it's worth drilling holes to add fender holders. If you tie a loop in your fender lines, then just slip that knot through the cleat and around the cleat ends you'll still have plenty of room left on the cleat to tie a dock line. I have 6' fender lines and still in some cases can use the extra fender line to tie off to the dock cleat.