Canada96

Power surge - Cap and Rotor replacement

Canada96    0

Hi,

Long story short this past winter was the first winter we kept the boat (08 Falcon V Air Warrior with the 350 mag mpi) outdoors instead of in the shed and now we are having some power surging issues.

The boat runs good, not perfect, but good when pulling a wakeboard, but when we went to load the sacks full of weight and start surfing we began to notice power surges. Almost to the point where it seemed like a transmission slipping in a car. Now I am hopeful this is a power issue and not a v-drive issue, so I have decided to start with swapping a new fuel filter on, cap and rotor and take it for a test run. I'm not sure when, if at all the cap and rotor has ever been changed so I'm sure its not going to hurt anything.

Now I had a few questions for the cap and rotor replacement:

1. What is the suggest replacement? Marine or will automotive be fine? OEM/Aftermarket?

2. When changing can i simply pull the cap off, swap plug wires 1 by 1 to the new cap, and than pull the rotor off and slip the new one one and reinstall the cap without running into timing issues?

3. Should i be looking at anything else while the cap and rotor are off the shaft?

4. Any other suggestions for diagnosing the surging issue? Next will be new plugs, which I anticipate I will replace anyways.

Thanks