loparj    0

I'm new to this and not sure I'm approaching in the right way, but hoping to get some insight from anyone with knowledge on 2015 Enzo SV233.  I'm looking to replace or upgrade some speakers in the downfire audio.  Picked the boat up a month ago and pretty sure a few of the speakers are shot.  Can I simply pull them out and replace like for like speakers?  Would anyone know if the Focal sub I have has better options?  Is it 10" or 12" stock?  It seems to buzz a lot and not be very tight bass.  If anyone has recommendations on best route for upgrading to get better performance out of it versus a complete replace of entire system, appreciate you input.  I'm also trying to assess best batteries to get for it. Thanks in advance.

InfinitySurf    302

@Wylie_Tunes is the stereo guru. It is easy to swap out speakers if you are semi-handy. Its also possible that the stereo was never properly tuned and/or there is a bit of corrosion on some of the connections. I had some popping in my Wetsounds REV-8 tower speakers and the cause was a little corrosion starting at the amp connections and the system needing to be tuned correctly (which wylie tunes did for me).

The little I understand about stereo systems (and its very little), seems that building the sub box correctly is the #1 thing that can make or break how a sub performs. If its the factory sub, I imagine that is a likely issue.

I had him add a 3rd battery for me so I would have 1 dedicated cranking battery and 2 accessory batteries. I know there are some high end batteries out there but honestly I prefer to use good Interstate wet cell batteries. The cost is way high and they dont last any longer than wet cell...tho I know there are other benefits such as being able to lay them on their sides, etc. I installed a NOCO 3-bank battery maintainer and it stays plugged in anytime I am not using the boat. If you check the water levels 1-2 times yearly and top off as needed with distilled water and keep a maintainer on them, batteries consistently last me 6-7yrs. In the days when I didnt use a maintainer, I was replacing the batteries by year 3. Well worth the investment to get a good maintainer when you replace the batteries.

Wylie_Tunes    146

I have not gutted a Roswell/Centurion downfire pod, so just a hunch here. I would fully expect those drivers to have a proprietary basket size, shape and or bolt pattern. So this would limit you to the manufacturer. 5 seasons is not a lot of time, so I would also want to revisit the amp settings, to make sure theres not a reason for a blown speaker that would repeat itself. 

The woofer is a 10" IIRC. Its in a small sealed enclosure I believe. There are better build woofers, but id want to know what my enclosure volume was first, unless the plan is to scrap the entire setup and start fresh. At that point, move up to a 12. Even consider a ported enclosure. Need to take the available amp wattage into account also. Want to get the most out of the amp, but at a safe impedance.  Here again, buzzing is not normal from a woofer, so id want to try and isolate the noise and make sure its not going to be there with the new woofer.