Sign in to follow this  
Zinger16

H20king Looking For You AdVice On Prop (IN PDX) FI23

Zinger16    0

H20king I’m in pdx as well and just bought a 2018 Fi23.   Wanted to get your thoughts on prop selection and your experience.   Tried to message you but it wouldn’t let me 

Can also text me at 541 nine seven four 2625

Thanks ahead for any help

InfinitySurf    302
On 7/29/2020 at 11:26 AM, Zinger16 said:

I dont know if H2O replied to you yet.

Pretty sure the ACME 2907 (16x13) is the surf prop being used for most wakesurfing.

The ACME 2829 (16x15) is the one that comes stock as the "recreational" prop. It will give you the fasted top end but not as much power down low which becomes an issue with a lot of people, lot of ballast or high elevations.

The ACME 2903 (16x12.5) is for the high elevation. Havent seen too many people talk about this one.

One note....I believe that in 2018 they had an FI23 (maybe the one with the 409 engine?) that had a different strut angle and was unable to fit a 16" prop. I may be wrong... but its always good to check the prop you currently have to see how much clearance you have since if you upgrade and end up with less than 3/4"-1" between the tip of the prop and the boat hull, it can mess up the gelcoat pretty bad.

Wakemakers has a good "prop finder tool" and their prices are pretty good. Nettle Prop out of Austin, TX used to have the best pricing but its been a couple years since I had to buy a prop.

You can also call ACME directly to ask which prop they recommend, they will ask for all your current info and what boat is currently acting like so you will want to look at your prop to see what # it is (stamped on the end of the prop where nut goes on), as well as location/elevation, how much ballast you typically run and what your goals are, ie: do you mostly wakesurf, wakeboard, ski....etc

Zinger16    0

Thank you.. I tried the 16x15 the other night and without ballast i loved it but as you mentioned it didn’t work well with full ballast.  I just ordered the 16x13 with the .150 cup.  They had another with a .105 cup.  Not sure how big of a difference that will make....  I wish they had a 16x14 :-)

InfinitySurf    302

That prop will make a significant difference out of the hole. The cup mostly effects the upper speeds. I have 2 identical sized props for my boat (1433 &1847) with only difference being the cup (.150 vs .105). I cannot tell any difference getting out of the hole or at surf speed, only place I have noticed any difference at all is at WOT, top speed is 40mph & 38mph. I typically cruise at 26mph and rarely cruise faster than 30mph since that puts me right at 4000rpms. Occasionally I will take the boat to WOT for about 30 seconds just to let the engine exercise and make sure everything sounds good.