Wnewt13

05 Avalanche with walk thru

Wnewt13    0

Hello, 

Just purchased an 05 Avalanche Storm Series w the walk thru. Anyone else have this boat & make any modifications? Ive got quite a bit to do to update mine. I’d like to do the following:
-clean up the stereo wires in the storage

-fix the steering, it’s off about 30 degrees and is hard to turn to the left.

-take out the old center hard ballast and replace with modern ballast and somehow run pipe to more sacs in the rear.

-Fix the speedo & add GPS ...

I know that’s a lot but if anyone has any experience or feedback w any of this on this boat or a similar one please let me know!

Thanks in advance ??

jtryon    24

i have an '07 typhoon and here are my thoughts:

leave the center tank, it's impossible to get to anyway.  check that the empty pump for the center tank works--there's an access hole for it just inside the flip-up passenger seat so you can check that it turns on when you flip the empty switch.

wakemakers has some 1280lb bags that fit perfectly in my rear lockers and i believe the Avy has the same locker space.  measure yours and buy the biggest bag that will fit there, so you don't have to do it twice.  are you going to list for surfing on the regular side?  that boat will put out a killer wave with 1280 on the surf corner alone.  on the goofy side you will have to get creative with lead or with a combination of walkthrough bags. 

for ballast pumps, i drilled a new 1" thru-hull and added a Rule 209FDP which is a 1600gph pump.  it fills the 1280 in 6 minutes flat with 1" hose.  mine was already set up for 3 pumps off a 1" manifold, so i left the tsunami 1200 that was there to fill the center tank and added another Rule 209FDP to fill the goofy side, and removed the 3rd manifold spot.  for drain pumps (other than the center drain which i left stock) i used tsunami 1200's which drain those same bags in 8 minutes.  does yours just have one fill pump?  it should be located under the center rear seat in front of the vdrive.

other things to check are maintenance items since you don't know what the PO did.  definitely change the impeller, oil and filter, fuel filter, trans fluid, vdrive fluid, check the serpentine belt or at least get a spare.  there's a good thread on here with details for all that stuff.  also, look up the "IAC valve" threads on here to get an idea of the symptoms of that in case it ever happens to you because that's fairly common on that year boat.

here's some part numbers if it saves you time, and if you have the 330 black scorpion:

Impeller - 47-862232A2

Oil - Rotella 15w40 non-synthetic

Oil filter - NAPA Gold FIL 1060, Purolator PL34631, Mobil1 M1-302

Fuel water separator – Quicksilver 802893Q01 

Serpentine belt - Dayco 5060880, Napa 25-060878