Sign in to follow this  
Keuka

Ri237 Aux and Bluetooth Sound Issue

Keuka    0

I just took delivery of a 2020 Ri237 with Coverfire setup.  Sound systems works and sounds great except that when I connect my iPhone Wired Aux/USB or Bluetooth a faint beep comes through the speakers.  The noise does not increase or decrease with the volume.  It also continues if the music is stopped/paused.  The beep only starts when I connect the phone, but does not go away until I turn off the system with the dash mounted "Radio" power button.  I can even change the source and the noise continues.  I haven't had a chance to check for loose connections yet.   Any help is appreciated.   

Wylie_Tunes    146

Try starting with a different phone. 

Keuka    0

Thanks.  I just bought a different phone and will give it a shot this weekend.  My dealer plugged his phone in and got the same result so I'm leaning towards system noise, interference, or connectivity.  The fact that it's BT and USB is also a little strange.

Wylie_Tunes    146

I dont recall which media source unit the 2020 has, but good bet its the only thing all of those modes have in common. 

Ryguy1984    1

I have a 2020 Fi23 doing the exact same thing. I did a bit of troubleshooting myself by attempting to isolate the head unit and amps. I am no rocket scientist, or stereo buff for that matter, but I really think it is the volume knob under the throttle. The beeping volume increases and decreases as I turn the in boat speakers up and down, same with the tower. The only way to stop the beeping is to turn the knob so the speakers are all the way off. 

I also cut a good number of zip ties and moved the RCAs away from any amp power cables the best I could, that made no difference. 

Mine makes that noise regardless of what source I’m using, FM, aux, Bluetooth. 

I have asked the dealer to order a new volume knob/wiring. 

I am interested to hear who else has had this problem and if they were able to figure it out. 

Ryguy1984    1

Was hoping this thread would get a bit more interest...  my beeping noise still exists and I have continued to troubleshoot. I have been able to narrow it down to what I believe is either the cable that runs from the wired remote near the throttle, or still the in-boat/tower volume knob. I lean to it being the cable for the remote for this reason.. under the port side helm I can disconnect the two wired remotes that are mounted to the side of the dash area and the other on the transom. When I disconnect the cable for the remote at the dash, the beeping stops. I can plug in the remote from the transom to the spot where I just unplugged the dash cable and no noise. This leads me to believe it’s not the input side of the Clarion head unit that is causing the noise. If I plug the dash remote into any of the three other inputs on the head unit, the noise exists.  As in, the only time the beeping is present is when the dash remote is plugged to the head unit. 

Taking things a step further, I removed the remote from the dash area and unplugged the remote from the cable on the end by the throttle. With this remote unplugged, but the other end of the cable still plugged into the head unit, the noise still exists. This tells me that it’s not the remote that is causing the noise, because just the cable alone plugged into the head unit in any one of the four remote inputs produced the noise. 

I thought maybe a break in the cable could be the cause so I followed it the best I could from the dash, around the bow and back to the head unit and from a quick visual inspection it all seemed ship shape. 

The reason I think it may also be related to the volume knob is that sometimes while the beeping exists, turning the volume of the in-boats or tower up and down increases or decreases the beeping volume. What is strange is that it doesn’t change the beeping volume 100% of the time, it’s a bit random. Sometimes you can turn the knobs and the volume of the beeping never changes. The beeping also exists through both the tower speakers and the in-beats, leading me to believe it’s not coming from the output side of one of the amps. 

On a final note, if I turn the stereo off using the power button on the remote on the dash, when I turn it back on, no beeping exists. It’s not until the very first bit of music comes out that it starts. Doesn’t matter if I turn it on in Bluetooth mode, Aux or any other source. The beeping doesn’t start until right when the music does. It seems like as soon as a signal is sent to one of the components to create audio, the noise starts. 

There is no change in the beeping regardless of what current changes I add, such as turning the heater on or any of the lights on/off or powering up the screen. If this were the typical ground nose from poor wire routing or grounds, the noise usually changes with draws against the electrical system, in my experience.  

It is for the above reasons that I still have no clue what is going on. 

If anybody out there could throw me a bone and help me out, I’d be forever grateful. 

DaveInTahoe    9

You are not alone.

I have *EXACTLY* the same problem with a brand new 2020 Ri257 with dropzone tower speakers. 

My beeping is 10x more prominent in the four rear-facing tower speakers.... I'm not sure it's even coming from any other speakers, but it's hard to tell. 

I'm a computer engineer, and from listening to your sleuthing, it sounds possible it's the Clarion remote control digital signaling cable is broadcasting some noisy radio interference, which is being picked up by the low-power analog amplifier input lines before they get amplified to the speakers. 

This kind of interference happens when high-frequency digital signal in a cable turns it into an "antenna" and broadcasts some low-power RF interference, which can then be "picked up" by a nearby analog line acting as an antenna. If you've ever heard beep-beep-beep coming out of a stereo or speakers when you set a cellphone too close, that's the effect I'm talking about.

If this is the cause, then it should be relatively easy to solve by wrapping a good chunk of the clarion remote-signal-cable with EMI shielding wrap tape to reduce  how much interference it transmits (ideally this wrap tape would be grounded, but this often isn't necessary) The metal-foil tape works a little better, but EMI cloth tape is much easier to use on flexible cabling. 

Amazon.com: 10mm x 20M 65ft Conductive Cloth Fabric Tape for LCD Laptop Cable EMI Shielding: Office Products

-----

Another possible source of noise (if the clarion remote cable is already shielded) is that the long shielding in the clarion remote cable is acting as an antenna, and picking up some noise from some electrical system it passes near under the driver-dash, and disturbing the boat's ground loop through the Clarion head unit, which is then causing noise in the amplifiers. This seems much less likely to me, because if this were happening, I would expect the noise to affect all the amplifiers about the same, whereas in my boat it's most prominent in the tower amplifier channels. 

Yet another possibility is that the Clarion bluetooth output signal is somehow cross-talking onto the clairon-wired-remote cable, which is then being picked up the analog amplifier input lines. I'm pretty sure my beeping is there even if no bluetooth device is connected though. I'll do some testing. If it is the clarion bluetooth output cross-talking, I have some ideas about how to solve that too.

Let our sleuthing continue!

Edited by DaveInTahoe

Ryguy1984    1

Thank you for the information. You mention the remote control digital signaling cable creating noisy interference which is being picked up by the low power analog amplifier input lines... to help me understand, are you referencing the RCA cables that eventually end at each amp providing the audio signal?

If so, from what I can tell, the signal cable that each amp gets first makes a stop at the rotary knob under the throttle, then comes back to the amps and is split into 6 separate RCA cables, two to each amp. 

I know that under the dash, viewed from the flip up back cushion in the bow, the clarion remote cable and the RCA cable (prior to being split up to 6 individual lines) are zip tied together and run back along the starboard side of the dash until they get to the rotary knob and remote. It seems like the RCA runs under the floor of the boat through the walkthrough, and I know the clarion remote cable runs all the way around the walkthrough, up the bow and then back down. They then get zip tied together and probably run 24” of length together.  

Do you assume it is this span of the cables being on top of each other that allows the interference to exist?

I called Roswell today and spoke to their tech department. The guy I spoke to sounded familiar with what was going on, to the point that when he simulated the beeping noise with his mouth, it was the same cadence as my boat (haha).  He said that they have confirmed it’s not their rotary volume adjustment knob, but that it is something with the clarion control wire as he called it. He wasn’t for sure what exactly people replaced to correct the issue, but to me it sounded like he meant the remote control cable. 

Long story longer, I ordered from Crutchfield a new 25’ clarion remote cable and I’m going to connect it straight from the head unit to my remote, draping it across the floor to test it. $41 with 2 day shipping.  Depending on the outcome, I may run my new cable or keep the existing one already installed and use the conductive tape from the link you provided. 

Thanks again for the info. 

Troy. R    198

Hi guys,

For what it’s worth...

I have a 2019 Supreme ZS232 which I believe runs the same Clarion head unit and remotes. However, the Supreme has Wetsounds speakers and amps. I have only had my boat out 3 times, but I have not experienced this issue.

DaveInTahoe    9
16 hours ago, Ryguy1984 said:

Do you assume it is this [24"] span of the cables being on top of each other that allows the interference to exist?

Yes... The fact that they are zip-tied together for 24" makes it very likely this is where the interference is coming from. And the fact that the same analog line runs to-and-from the driver volume knob basically doubles the amount of interference in that signal line.

That fact that my beeping is much more prominent on the drop-zone rear speakers suggests that it is really because those specific pre-amp analog lines are squeezed right up against the clarion remote cable, as opposed to the other pre-amp lines in the same bundle. 

The "insulation solution" would be to unbundle any sections where the wires are zip-tied together, wrap the digital clarion cable in EMI shielding,  separately wrap the RCA preamp lines in shielding, and try to secure those wires to the boat as far apart from each other as possible, and see if that does the trick. If not, the EMI shielding might need to be connected to a ground or some large metal part to dissipate the induced current from the  digital noise. 

The other somewhat remote possibility is that these long RCA pre-amp lines are picking up the clarion bluetooth signal.. The above shielding may be enough to fix this as well, or perhaps not. We'll have to test. 

To help me understand, are you referencing the RCA cables that eventually end at each amp providing the audio signal?

Yes, those RCA cables are "pre-amp level analog sound"... We call them "pre-amp" because they are before the amplifier. This means they are very low power, which makes them very susceptible to interference. 

Frankly, it's a bad design to run a long analog pre-amp level audio line around through the boat to do that volume knob under the throttle, because this is always going to be very susceptible to interference. 

A better design is to have a control cable from those volume knobs which doesn't carry audio, but only the position of the knobs... Then a simple volume control board could be located right near the amplifiers, listening to the control-cable to tell what the volume knobs are set to. This is simple enough we could retrofit this pretty easily if the insulation attempts fail, but it's probably not necessary.

-----

Centurion should really integrate the audio into the Centurion main console and ditch the clunky expensive Clarion head unit. 

This would provide a bunch of feature improvements, including: speed and/or RPM sensitive volume, control over bluetooth device from console screen, song information on main console, control XM/FM radio stations from main console... and those zone volume knobs could be either moved to the touch screen, or turned into signal-only knobs with zero chance for audio noise in the preamp lines. And while this has some design-cost, it would probably add some margin, as an XM tuner module is <$50,  bluetooth chip is <$5, and an Si4844-A10 digital radio chip  is <$15, and even a dedicated SoC subcomputer to handle real-time audio would be < $50, whereas a Clarion CMS4 plus remotes has to be $400+, and the functionality is worse.

If they would open-source the Centurion console software and design, I'd do it myself and donate the improvements back to them. :)

Edited by DaveInTahoe

Ryguy1984    1

Sounds like I will have a 25’ cable for sale. Brand new haha if anybody is interested. 
The only other comment I have for now is that this noise didn’t exist before I bought the boat. It was used for a few demos so had 6 hours on it when I got it. When we were in the showroom checking out the boat I played around with the stereo quite a bit and never had the noise come up. It wasn’t until we got the boat home a few days later and took it out for the first time that the noise showed up. 

That was one reason that I originally thought it was a failed component, rather than a routing issue. As if it were a routing issue, the nose should have existed the day the wires were zip tied together when the boat was built. I thought it a higher likelihood that some electrical component failed opposed to a wire routing change (sans a physical intervention to move around these wires/cables).  

Either way, this thread is off and to the races!

DaveInTahoe    9
58 minutes ago, Ryguy1984 said:

The only other comment I have for now is that this noise didn’t exist before I bought the boat. It was used for a few demos so had 6 hours on it when I got it. When we were in the showroom checking out the boat I played around with the stereo quite a bit and never had the noise come up.

The most likely possibilities here are:

(a) the beeping was there in the showroom and you didn't notice

(b) it's bluetooth related, and you didn't test this in the showroom. you mentioned it only happens after bluetooth connect. I have not checked this on my boat, but I think it might be the same. In this case, it would be the clarion bluetooth transmit somehow leaking into the RCA pre-amp analog lines. It could be because the clarion bluetooth is getting "picked up" by the clarion control line somehow, and then transferring it into the pre-amp analog lines because of the long proximity. 

(c) There is a bluetooth antenna line coming out of the clarion black-box. Maybe this is accidentally routed close to some of the wire bundle.

I think it's very unlikely the interference is happening entirely inside the clarion unit, as then it wouldn't go away when you disconnected the remote cable... unless you accidentally did this test while bluetooth was not connected and didn't notice.

EIther way, I'm confident we will get this solved somehow. I really appreciate that you posted and did some sleuthing.

Our boat is stored on a Bouy 400' offshore here in Lake Tahoe, so it's not as easy to hop out and investigate this issue right now, and most of the time we're on the boat we're using it to pull surfers!

clarion-wiring.jpg

Edited by DaveInTahoe

Ryguy1984    1

I am editing a message that I just posted saying the newly installed cable fixed everything and life was good. The edit is necessary because as I climbed into the bow to shut the backrest cushions and call it a night, the noise could be heard from my bow speakers, but nothing in the drivers seat. As I sit here in the boat with the audio muted, the noise slowly went away completely.

scratching my head now. 

Edited by Ryguy1984

DaveInTahoe    9

great to hear your beeping is solved! 

I suspect the cable you installed is the same as the one they are using.... There is a small chance the new cable has internal shielding that the other one doesn't have, but it's unlikely. Probably it's fixed because the new clarion remote cable is not ziptied directly to the audio lines. 

Thanks for posting your detailed descriptions. I was planning to wrap the existing remote cable, but because you said there are zipties you can't find or reach, I also ordered another 25' remote cable from Crutchfield, and I plan to repeat the same thing you did. All I want is the beeping to stop. :)

Mkarban    0

Same problem on 2 day old 2021 Ri237, faint beep from outer tower downfires. Sounds like new cable is answer. Could someone confirm what type of cable, where you ran it and to and from what components. I had a hard time following the thread as it was a bit hard to comprehend with my limited audiophile skills.

this beeping is driving me nuts!

thanks

kohersh    2

First weekend with my 20' Ri257 the beeping was driving me absolutely insane. It also exists on all sources and is not dependant on the motor to be running.

kohersh    2

I copied my dealer on this thread, and they said that Clarion had warrantied the 'head unit' (their words) to fix the beeping problem. Not sure of that is that actual head unit or the black box, etc. Regardless, my dealers seemed to know about it and how to handle it. Boat is a 2020, the mfg date on the clarion black box was 03/17.

That is some old stock sitting around. I hope this fixes it, otherwise, we will be working in rerouting and wrapping wires.

Eric Retter    0

Hi new to this forum but am having the same issues as all of you with my 2020 ri237 was wanting if there is any more information out there and if cable shielding is the answer.

kohersh    2

Update on my Ri257 with the annoying beeping going on, now that we are back on the water with it. The guys above figured it out and I can confirm that it is 100% related to the wired remotes. Be it from cable routing or whatever...if I unplug wired remote 1 (helm) the beeping is 95% gone, enough that it won't drive me nuts anymore. The remaining 5% must be from wired remote 2 (transom).

I am skeptical that a new cable would have different shielding inside of it. Now to figure out what to do...order a new cable and wrap it or cut the existing one out and wrap/reinstall, or add chokes, etc.... At least I know I can kill it