N901

Surfing and dropping rope

N901    4

Hi All,

Have begun surfing behind my 2006 Avalanche C4 using the standard 3 ballast tanks and a wake shaper. Wave isn't perfect or the biggest it can be I'm sure but it is clean. The problem I'm having  is dropping the rope. I seem to get good acceleration but when I start to slow down I can't get enough speed to recover and I fall back out of the wave. Board is a Doomswell Hydro and removed the center fin to see if that would give me a little more speed. Been setting the perfect pass around 11 mph but dont know if I should be going slower or faster to help. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Troy    234

Need more ballast. The Avy’s listed wave is awesome. Here is mine from this weekend with just my 1400 custom sac almost full, factory center, me and 100lb kiddo. Just the kiddos riding that day so I didn’t sac it out. 

56A6DE11-D738-4F3C-A66D-F2870519B224.jpeg

N901    4

ok thanks. so that brings up a good question I have been thinking about. The boat is rated for 10 people and 1330 lbs, so once you fill the 1400 ballast you're over that just with ballast. Are you not worried about that?  Also, do you use a wake shaper? 

Troy    234

I'm not worried. I'll have to double check what my sticker says.  With just ballast, what I normally run is the 1400lb custom, factory 250 center and another 300lb on the seat with another 150 i move around in sand ballast.  Plus my wife and 2 kids (9 and 12yo's). My rub rail on the surf side is touching the water sitting still. This weighted down takes practice driving and watching closely on water conditions. there's been times I tell the person in the water to wait, I'll be back, then circle around to avoid waves.  If i have more people on the boat, then i drop some water ballast to make up for it (don't fill the 300 on the seat and maybe leave the sand ballast at the house). 

I have not used a wake shaper.  Don't plan on ever using one. Weighted like this, I still do great of fuel consumption and I love the shape and push my wave has. I'll see if I have a picture of my boat slammed.  

Troy    234

A4189870-4BCE-4152-9924-2BAE6322A9E7.jpeg

134E7642-7D5A-4725-BCE8-41754CAAD1FC.jpeg

• Like 1

N901    4

Thanks for the pics! Am I better off just getting a large sac for the port side or get the factory ballast upgrade kits from wakemakers? (740lbs on both sides)  we all seem to be port side riders. Thanks again!

volzalum    280

If you’ve still got the factory hard tanks, rip them out and fill the space with bags. Otherwise, if you already have sacs, you are better with one bag total for each rear locker than piggybacking them. 

jtryon    24
20 hours ago, Troy said:

Need more ballast. The Avy’s listed wave is awesome. Here is mine from this weekend with just my 1400 custom sac almost full, factory center, me and 100lb kiddo. Just the kiddos riding that day so I didn’t sac it out. 

56A6DE11-D738-4F3C-A66D-F2870519B224.jpeg

you must have an a-plate on your avy?  that's a CLEAN goofy wake

• Like 1

jtryon    24
12 hours ago, N901 said:

Thanks for the pics! Am I better off just getting a large sac for the port side or get the factory ballast upgrade kits from wakemakers? (740lbs on both sides)  we all seem to be port side riders. Thanks again!

go as big as you can on the sacs...it will be worth it to spend the extra money now than to do it twice.  my typhoon fits a 1280lb wakemakers bag in each locker perfectly, but i did pull out the sideswipe which made a little extra room.  here's the link, and it's the 50"x25"x25" bag which is the biggest "UniversalFIT" bag they offer.  https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag.html

N901    4

What did you do with the exhaust once you removed the sideswipe? The 740’s that come with the wakemakers upgrade seem small now based on what you guys are doing. 

rhino89523    34

I run an avy and use a shaper because we switch back and forth a bunch. I am a big guy and had trouble staying in on the listed wave and do better with the shaper. Gas mileage probably isn't great but we go all day on the tank. I don't fill the center tank because it doesn't do well with that one full for some reason my prop wont get her going good when that tank is full but it does fine with sides under the seat filled up. I'm on the lowest pitch I can get for a prop and I run 5000' and above most of the time. Avy throws a good one. I'm goofy and I'm 6'4" 270ish and it pushes me along good. Most waves I see coming off much more expensive boats don't have a wave like mine. 

jtryon    24

i ran a single exhaust exit out of the back of mine like most boats are coming with now after pulling out Sideswipe.  4" to 3.5" reducers after the hose coming off the exhaust risers, 3.5" elbows to a tee, single exit with flapper.

i agree that 740's will leave you wanting an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Edited by jtryon

Troy    234
23 hours ago, jtryon said:

you must have an a-plate on your avy?  that's a CLEAN goofy wake

Yes I have an a-plate. I did a write up on here about my plate.  

• Like 1

jtryon    24
5 hours ago, Troy said:

Yes I have an a-plate. I did a write up on here about my plate.  

thanks.  i have the template and have someone that said they're going to make me one, but i don't know when it's going to be completed.  my goofy side wake is super washed out so i definitely need it.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

The A-plate will help. I had one on my ‘07 Avy as well.

N901    4

Is an a plate and wake shaper the same thing?

jtryon    24

no.  wake shaper goes on the side of the boat to clean up the wave on the opposite side, while an a-plate cleans up the wash from the prop.

InfinitySurf    302

These guys can make you an A-plate that will fit your boat. Its the center trim plate for the boat that adjusts the attitude of the boat.

https://www.infinitywave.net/