jbfootnote

exhaust tip fell off. anyone done this one?

jbfootnote    1

edm-100-07_ml.jpg Has anyone put this on?  2016 enzo single exhaust.  "Eddie marine flanged exhaust".  

Ya'll fixed a recent issue for us, thanks.

So we were on the lake for 5 days and the port side ramfill exit motor failed, looks like there is a ramfill exit gate and a ramfill enter gate, this is the exit gate, in the back behind the engine.   It was stuck open, so we were listing, because whenever we would stop it would fill up.  And as we drove away it would drain out.  We manually closed the gate to surf and that worked fine while we were out there, but that's a pain, obviously. 

Anyway, is it the little motor?  Its the Valtera gate system, not drainmaster.  It looks like it would be easy to replace the little motor.  Any links to a new one?  or is there a way to fix the old one?

JB

volzalum    280

All that fell off on yours was the silent tip which is not very effective. You still have the flanged exhaust there. I had 2 fall off under warranty. I installed a stainless steel washer (custom made) around mine for the screws to go through to keep the carbon fiber piece from falling off. I recommend you install a fresh air exhaust. 

• Like 1

jbfootnote    1

thanks volz.  

i was hoping you'd reply, because I wanted to ask about the prop too----you seem to know everything.  we are running a acme 1615 prop,  on my 16 fs 44.   was thinking of changing to a high altitude prop recommended by wakemasters.  

ACME 1939 ACME 1433 ACME 2571

we use it at lake powell, but most of the year we are at high altitude lakes in utah. 

thanks. 

volzalum    280

I definitely do not know everything. You can run the exhaust without the carbon piece without any issues. You may have some exhaust gas visible for the surfers, so that is the only concern. 

For props:

1615 is 14.5 x 13.75 x 0.105 cup

1939 is 14 x 15.5 x 0.105

1433 is 14 x 14.25 x 0.105

2571 is 14 x 12 x 0.105

Out of those, the only one that might give more hole shot (surf power) is the 2571. You will be at higher rpms (probably 250-300 rpm increase) with that change, and you will loose some top end speed.

If you do not have any gelcoat burn with your 14.5 inch prop, I would keep it or change to either of these:

2131 is 14.5 x 13.5 x 0.105 to gain a little more surfing performance without major RPM change (~30 RPM)

2199 is 14.5 x 13 x 0.105 to gain a step in performance gain for surfing with about 100 RPM increase (loose 2 MPH on top end)

2079 is 14.5 x 12 x 0.105 to take large step in performance for surfing with about 250 rpm increase (loose 4 MPH on top end)

1873 is 14.5 x 12 x 0.150 to be between the 2199 and 2079 in RPM increase and Speed loss

jbfootnote    1

we actually do have some prop burn, i'm going to patch it, i think.    and every once in a while, when we are surfing with a big load (full ballast and lots of people), we will get a critical engine fault with RPMs sign and alarm.  we stop.  let it rest for a min, and everything is totally fine and we go again.   temps are always fine during that whole event, too.

I have read that if you have the wrong prop at altitude, you may be overstressing the engine.  So, if i switched to a smaller prop, even though we'd be gaining RPMS while surfing, and lose some top speed, we would be doing better for the engine.

thoughts on that?  

volzalum    280

OK. If you are getting gelcoat burn, then that makes changing to the 14 from the 14.5. that being said, what you are running is a high elevation prop (and Lake Powell is also considered high elevation). If the pitch goes down (13 to 12) your rpm will go up. If the pitch goes up too much (13 to 15) the engine may bog down and be unable to reach surf speeds at those elevations. If you are running in the mid 3000 rpms, you are not stressing the engine. If you are running in the high 3000 rpms or over 4000, then get a prop with a higher pitch.

jbfootnote    1

volzalum:

Just an update.  we did buy that stainless exhaust tip and installed it, it works great, was pretty easy to do.

a couple of updates: i got a smaller prop with a higher pitch, that lowered our RPMs down to 3800/3900 for surfing, much better.  we were getting RPM alarms fairly often.

also, when our exhaust tip was missing, we did get a few alarms from a C02 sensor, i'm assuming that some fumes were getting back up into the engine compartment.  once we placed the exhaust tip on, it stopped happening.

thanks for your help. 

volzalum    280

Excellent! Glad it worked out for you.