DaveInTahoe

Bilge and bouy parking?

DaveInTahoe    9

Does the Ri257 bilge have a water sensor to trigger it, or does it just run forever if turned on?

I read some advice that when overnight parking on a bouy, one should leave the battery and bilge on.. but when i turn on the bilge it seems to run and run, and i don't know if it will eventually turn off. 

Any advice? 

DaveInTahoe    9

I think i found my answer. The bilge is normally automatic as long as the battery is on.. and the switch on the console forces it to run even if the float days isn't triggered...

So it looks like all i have to do is leave the battery on.

Jlagos    23

The bilge is (should be) wired to power at all times EVEN if the batteries are turned off. This ensures the pump always has power should water enter via rain or a leak and the batteries have been turned off. You will often see a small wire attached to the battery post. If you want to check, add enough water to your bigle and turn off the power when the sensor triggers the pump on. It should still run if enough water is still left in the bilge.

volzalum    280

The bilge pump also has a test knob on the opposite end from the hose. Twist the knob clockwise with the battery off and see if it comes on.

DaveInTahoe    9

I was not able to find the test-knob, but I turned off the boat battery while the pump was running and it kept running, so that confirmed for me that it runs even with the battery off... that gives me the confidence to turn the battery off when I leave the boat out there on the bouy.

Thanks @volzalum