Sign in to follow this  
DJsurfr

2016 RI237 with H5 motor

DJsurfr    1

Hello

I am considering purchasing a 2016 RI237 with the H5 motor. I have Surf tested it and the motor was working very hard (4300rpm) with only 2 crew. Any thoughts on newer prop and if so what size?  This has the original prop from the factory I believe and trying to find the size. Wish it had the H6 but very few for sale in Ontario

InfinitySurf    299

You can find the prop size/number on the back of the hub prop where the nut goes. The size would be something like: "16x17", the 1st number will be the diameter and the 2nd number will be the pitch. Likely the prop number is going to be 4 digits like: "1433" The 1433 is 14" diameter and 14 1/4" pitch... and on Wakemakers.com is actually listed as the standard wakeboard/surf prop. For high elevation or heavily weighted....they recommend the #2079 which is 14" dia X 12" pitch. (The "everything prop" is listed as a #1939 and is 14" dia X 15.5" pitch and would likely be sluggish and high rpm. Take a look and post that up, a prop can significantly change the attitude and rpm. With everything else being the same, if you have the 1939 on their now and went to the 2079, you should drop the rpm significantly and the boat would "jump" out of the water. You lose some top end speed, but who cares about that if you are a surfer!

Other factors that can effect rpm.... What is your elevation? Having a ton of ballast in the rear with no middle or front ballast and/or running your center trim plate at 0 (all the way up) can effect the rpm quite a lot since your nose would be pointed up. Obviously you want more weight in the rear than anywhere else.... but I was mentioning that since on my boat I can change the engine rpm by about 400 just depending on where I have my center trim plate.

That all said, 4300rpm is not ideal, nor would I think that is normal with only 2 people in the boat unless you have a ton of ballast in the rear and/or at a really high elevation and/or you have a prop that is not the correct size for the application. While an H5 engine is no slouch, I would say that its a little undersized for an RI237 unless you have close to no elevation, regardless having the H5 engine will effect re-sale based on perception alone.... so if you buy it, consider that in the price you offer. You could probably get a good deal if you use it too your advantage negotiating

DJsurfr    1

Thx for the detailed response I truly appreciate it. Our lake is only 700 ft above sea level so not too bad.  I will check out the prop and consider the size you suggest- has anyone tried a 14 1/2 inch diameter?

The boat has sat unsold for 4 years partially due to the base engine and the price is low because of that.  I plan to keep it for 5+ years so hopefully the hard driving engine will go the distance. Going for a second test drive tomorrow   

thx again for the advice 

DJsurfr    1

Just looked it up and 2079 is 14 1/2 diameter. 

I will work that into the deal!

• Like 1

DJsurfr    1

I went and saw the prop and it is a 1615 with a fair bit of clearance. Still recommend the ACME 2079?

EF8FDE3E-996D-42C2-A863-0DD4B5F5D98E.jpeg

EE8FCD48-BF78-4336-AAA0-8710E772AD70.jpeg

A7FC05FC-A880-4496-A46F-F5855CF0DC36.jpeg

InfinitySurf    299

So a 1615 is 14.5" diameter with 13.75" pitch....the 2079 is 14.5" diameter with 12" pitch. So the 1615 is going to be a more "all around" prop which should do fairly well even with a decent amount of ballast, the 2079 is gonna be the heavily weighted prop.

I dont know what the max prop diameter size is for the 2016 RI237, its the first year the RI came out. For best performance, you typically want the largest diameter prop you can fit without causing gelcoat burn (they recommend not allowing a prop to be any closer than 3/4" to your hull....from the pics it seems you could go to a 15" diameter but you would want to measure to be sure. Going up 1/2" on diameter means the prop would be 1/4" closer to your hull. I would measure and see exactly how far away from your hull that existing prop is to know if you can do a 15" since that likely gives you best case senario. Its possible that the H5 engine is going to limit your prop options, so it may be that you wont be able to get the rpm down real far, however IMO any reduction would benefit you in the long term not only for less stress on the engine but also burning less fuel, not as noisy, etc.

Honestly I think your best bet is to call ACME directly and see what they recommend based on the data you give them, they have more historical data than anyone for every boat and can tell you the best prop to reduce your rpm yet retain the amount of power that you will need. If I remember correctly they changed the prop shaft angle slightly in 2017 on the RI boats to allow for a larger diameter prop. ACME can give you verifiable info tho. (In my experience once you know the prop you want, Nettles Prop out of Austin, TX has best pricing tho WakeMakers also has good pricing on some too).

InfinitySurf    299

If you end up buying the boat and it will run higher rpm's than "normal", I would just be sure to treat the engine extra well. Do oil changes every 30hrs instead of 50hrs using a high quality synthetic 5w30 (FYI... PCM put out a service advisory in July 2019 for that engine and some other models to use DEXOS 2 oil, NOT the 15w40 oil that was previously recommended for many years), change transmission oil every Fall, Check the v-drive oil condition annually (takes a special oil that is "maintainance free" but in the fine print says to check and to change every 5yrs) make sure you are staying on top of impeller changes, engine belt, etc. I think it will last if you treat it well

Tross49    4

Run a 15x15.75 .150cup that’s what I have on my 2016 ri237

• Like 1