Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

Swim Ladder install - 2014 SV244

InfinitySurf    302

I installed a new swim ladder for my boat, even with ballast its hard for my mom and some others to get up at times and I wanted them to feel comfortable since I had not heard any negative feedback regarding the swim ladder effecting the surf wave (and I can now confirm that it does not effect my surf wave the way I did it). Since only the new boats come with metal glassed in under the platforms and I have been too busy to go thru all that extra work, I decided to try something new as I did not want to use carriage bolts, I didnt want to drill thru my platform and then also have to replace the SeaDeck. That process didnt seem very strong to me, I imagine that will also let water into the center of the swim platform and for a guy as OCD as I am, I just couldnt bring myself too it. My thinking is if the process I used below fails.... then I will take the time to glass in stainless metal strips and will just cover the holes I made doing it this way.

So, I ended up using 5/16" brass nutserts, 4 on each side and bolted up the frame using 5/16" stainless hex head bolts. 3/4" long would work but I did 1" long thinking that since the center of the swim platform is filled with the fiber I would drill the size hole needed for the nutsert and then "mushroom" the bottom of the cavity so I could add epoxy and strengthen it (I used a smaller drill bit and a hand pick to mushroom the bottom). It was time consuming but I after I prepped it all and had the nutserts ready to install.... I filled the hole with epoxy (I used a 2-part) and then inserted the nutsert using a makeshift bold. Immediately after the nutsert was in, I covered the bolt threads with wax so I could remove the bolts later (I used a commode wax ring for this) and then ran the bolt down all the way, it went thru the nutsert and into the epoxy bed I had created below it so the epoxy would cure around the bolt threads. I let it cure for 24hrs before removing the bolts so I could finish the install. I used 3M 4200 to seal everything and bolted down the swim ladder frame securely and then let that cure for another 24hrs. My thinking was that doing it this way, the swim ladder would be held not only by the nutsert which was also partially imbedded into the epoxy, but the bolts also continue threading into the epoxy and since the cavity was mushroomed, it would spreading out the weight more efficiently, this is also partially why I bought a swim ladder that had 8 bolt holes, but I also wanted one that had a spring loaded latch so the ladder would stay in place without velcro/rope holding it. I honestly don't know if my theory was correct on imbedding the bolts into the epoxy, but this swim ladder does not budge at all, I have probably been out 4 times since the install without any issues!

Just before I started my install, I found another guy on the Malibu forum who was also installing his swim ladder the same way! Funny that we both had similar ideas.... I dont think he did the epoxy quite like I did, but he said his also turned out very strong.

This is the ladder I bought  ,NovelBee 3 Step Undermount Sliding Boat Ladder  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZL4MWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5/16" nutserts5eeb8989ae5ff_Webp.net-resizeimage(16).jpg.2fca4bd2071ee9fb7e0ba8da1c39c8df.jpg

5eeb899704882_Webp.net-resizeimage(19).jpg.108df911f4c135ca777437dce14fd7d7.jpg

Holes with mushroomed cavity5eeb89a1568a0_Webp.net-resizeimage(18).jpg.0a1284649867f862e8865874083a6d59.jpg

5eeb89a8388fb_Webp.net-resizeimage(31).jpg.432ee808f55106b99de4ec820838c3bb.jpg

Bolt threads waxed and threaded thru nutsert and into epoxy to cure5eeb89b2cea4a_Webp.net-resizeimage(32).jpg.f4f7f92ee80bcedf5745e49511a198fb.jpg

5eeb89be5db50_Webp.net-resizeimage(17).jpg.eed525f7ccdb62b7492552029aae7515.jpg

5eeb89cbee14a_Webp.net-resizeimage(23).jpg.ac922f87b542c2573601625499dbb970.jpg

5eeb89d14cff6_Webp.net-resizeimage(30).jpg.20ca279cb64eb2bc008d9c00ad2fb54c.jpg

3M 4200 to seal frame before bolting it up5eeb89e860ec5_Webp.net-resizeimage(21).jpg.77653ebd09f2395b58c2fb537d2807bb.jpg

Installed 5eeb89efc9247_Webp.net-resizeimage(24).jpg.efc048aec309925f5be21674acbc8db4.jpg

• Like 2

InfinitySurf    302

Final install pictures

swim ladder. retracted.jpg

swim ladder. deployed 1.jpg

swim ladder. deployed 2.jpg

• Like 2

Jlagos    23

That's fantastic. I really like that the ladder in its down position is not completely vertical but at an incline. I will need to do this. When my in-laws clime up the platform, there is a sudden grunt, followed by a thud and sudden expulsion of air released somewhere behind me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Troy    234

Wow! Great job!

InfinitySurf    302

Thank you guys

Zinger16    0

Installing a ladder myself on our new 2018 fi23.  Is still holding up good ?  How big of a person have you had on it?  You mentioned newer boats have metal in them?? Would that include mine ? 

@InfinitySurf

InfinitySurf    302
6 hours ago, Zinger16 said:

Installing a ladder myself on our new 2018 fi23.  Is still holding up good ?  How big of a person have you had on it?  You mentioned newer boats have metal in them?? Would that include mine ? 

@InfinitySurf

I imagine that a 2018 FI would have the metal supports glassed into the bottom of the swim platform... I know for sure that all the 2019+ Centurions do since they are offered as an option from factory so all the new platforms are made with the supports glassed in. You should be able to tell  by looking under it since it will look similar to the areas the brackets are mounted to it. Its either gonna be a square or rectangular shape in the middle of the swim platform to "bulges" down to create a flat surface. Your dealer should be able to confirm. Also if you post a picture of the bottom, I can tell you since I have seen quite a few of the late models swim platforms

To answer question, yes mine has held up excellent. It does not get used a lot since 90% of the time when I am taking the boat out we are surfing and I mostly added it to give an easier option for people lacking the strength to just pop up. My mom for instance comes occasionally and likes to swim to its perfect for that. I am about 185lbs and use it to get into the boat from the trailer, I have bounced on it lightly a couple times to test it and zero hint of any give or even any creaking, so I feel like its gonna hold up. Also I installed 4 bolts on each side for a total of 8 fasteners so it also has more anchor points. I have seen some ladders that only have 2 on each side and that would make me nervous the way I did it.

Edited by InfinitySurf

Troy. R    198

Great Job @InfinitySurf!

I’m thinking of doing the same on my ZS232. Without ballast, the platform sits about 4” out of the water and it’s difficult for my mother-in-law among others to get back in the boat.

Can you share a link to the ladder you are using?

• Like 1

Troy. R    198
3 hours ago, Troy. R said:

Great Job @InfinitySurf!

I’m thinking of doing the same on my ZS232. Without ballast, the platform sits about 4” out of the water and it’s difficult for my mother-in-law among others to get back in the boat.

Can you share a link to the ladder you are using?

Disregard. I Initially didn’t see the link that you put in a prior post.

InfinitySurf    302

Thank you for the compliment, apologies that I didn't see your question till just now.

I think they are out of that specific ladder now but what I liked most about it was the 8 anchor points and the fact that it would "click/lock" into place instead of requiring a strap or something else to hold the ladder into the stowed position. I saw a few other stainless ladders that looked like they would do a good job.

This ladder looks very similar in design... but doesnt have the pop/lock option and uses a strap:

https://www.amazon.com/Marinebaby-Platform-Telescoping-Boarding-Stainless/dp/B07QF74RVQ/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=stainless+swim+ladder&qid=1596723351&sr=8-27#customerReviews

This one looks really nice but the price reflects it:

https://www.amazon.com/SeaLux-Pop-N-Lock-Undermount-Marine-Telescoping/dp/B010HEUATO/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=stainless+swim+ladder&qid=1596723263&sr=8-17

Troy. R    198

Thanks @InfinitySurf!

i also like the way yours locks into place. I need to pay more attention to the bottom of the platform relative to the surf wave when we go out this weekend. If I suspect it will, sorry Mom!