Faster    0

Super excited about getting a new to me 13 SV233+ but it has an issue and could use some help. I put it in the water for a 20 test run after I bought it and the Speedo and Tach don't work which makes the Cruise not work as well. No lights on both as well. The touch screen does work. Any ides as to where to start? Is there a plug in the motor I can start with? I'm guessing its not just a couple of unplugged wires on the back. I didn't have time to look at it but heading this weekend to see if I can fix it. Boat is 5 hours away so not easy to look at all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Hokiebob    0

It happened to me the first time I put my  new 14 SV233 in the water a month or so ago and after a power-down on the batteries, it worked fine the next time and every time since.

Faster    0

Ok Well that would be helpful if that’s all it is. Batteries are turned off so I’ll try that first. 

InfinitySurf    302

If its wet cell, make sure your batteries are full, if you just got it, they may have never had the water levels checked (distilled water), also worth making sure they are fully charged. Low batteries can create a lot of weird electronic issues.

If you garage the boat when its not in use and have power, once of the best things you can do is put the batteries on a smart maintainer (I have a NOCO), it may keep you from not being able to start the boat one day but in my experience it will also double the usable life of the batteries.

Jlagos    23

Great point Hokiebob, when something funny us going on electronically I always disconnect power entirely and if stored off the water for extended time I disconnect the battery entirely. I found my cranking battery completely dead and unable to be revived after the float mechanism in the bilge pump got stuck in the on position. Also agree with "Infinity" that Noco makes a great product. I have one of those and also have a "Battery Minder" which works by a different method. It will not quickly charge your deep cycle battery if you want to get back on the water with with your sound system fully charged in a couple of hours but i like it during the winter and when stored.

Faster    0

Batteries were 12.6 but I put them on the charger anyway and they are good. I disconnected them to see if it would reset something but it is still the same. When I turn the key forward one notch the tach goes down a littler and then to zero but still doesn’t work. Are there lights that should come on those gauges? Any other suggestions? 

InfinitySurf    302
On 6/20/2020 at 5:39 PM, Faster said:

Batteries were 12.6 but I put them on the charger anyway and they are good. I disconnected them to see if it would reset something but it is still the same. When I turn the key forward one notch the tach goes down a littler and then to zero but still doesn’t work. Are there lights that should come on those gauges? Any other suggestions? 

There are lights on the gauges... my guess based on above reply is the gauge cluster wires don't have a good power or ground connection. Its possible that some corrosion has started or the connection vibrated loose, guess the gauge cluster could be faulty but I would not think that is likely. Check the connections at the back of the gauge and/or where they meet the harness. Also, if you lay on your back looking up under the helm where the steering rack is, back of the cluster, etc.... if its similar to my 2014, mounted above the steering rack, you will see a grounding bar as well as a bar with the hots/neutrals. I would check them all for corrosion and also to be sure they are snug. There are also 2) smaller breakers up there you can check.

Faster    0

Any chance you can tell me or take a picture where the 2 breakers are under the dash. I have been under that dash several times and can only see one red breaker on the left side if looking from the drivers seat. I will take off and clean the connections and see if anything is loose. I asked my dealer and he said if its the dash its going to be a lot to fix it. Everything works on the digital screen other than the cruise control but guessing thats because of the analog speedo not working.

Thanks for the help!

Jlagos    23

The 16 volts is that a direct read on the batteries or is that the reading on the dash? If directly on the battery, make sure the dash reads the same voltage, the connection at the engine can also corrode and should be checked. Can you get an voltage reading on the tach and speedometer directly?