Jake707

Sub Direction

Jake707    171

Ok long story short I’ve been chasing a buzzing noise on my sub and pulled out the ported box built under the helm to see if it was the sub. It wasn’t. Had the amp bench tested and the RF t1500 went out and is sending out buzzing noises. So I’ll have to replace it. 

my question is I noticed the box is mounted under the helm so the sub and vent point up. There was a good amount of dust on top of the sub. No water or anything. 

Does it matter which direction the sub faces? Should I put it back pointing up or rotate it to point towards the middle of the boat/walkway?

Troy    234

i have mine facing aft towards the captain.  

Jake707    171

With the size of my box that wouldn’t be an option. It would only fit in the area long ways so I could keep the sub facing up or rotate 90 degrees and have it facing either the walk way cooler or side of the boat

its a 2.5 cubic foot rectangle shaped box. 

Wylie_Tunes    146
On 6/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Jake707 said:

Does it matter which direction the sub faces?

It can. In not a fan of point a woofer up. Many woofers have whats called a dust cap in the cent of the cone. Its where the cone connects to the motor structure and they glue a cap over that point. With the woofer up, if water collects in the woofer, it will find its way into the motor after awhile. 

If you have a ported enclosure, this is an entry point for water to also collect and stay in the enclosure. 

If you can spare another 3" of height, consider inverting the enclosure and make it a down-fire by making a couple of risers. 

Jake707    171

Thanks Wylie. I thought about downforce as well and thought it might even enhance the bass since it would send it throughout the boat floor but I don’t think I have enough head space on the far end where it comes up to the back of the bow seat.

I could maybe get an inch or so but that wouldn’t be enough for excursion if I put the sub on that end. But if I put the sub downward on the steering wheel end it would have enough space since that end is propped on top of that built in footrest. So it actually sits at an angle with a gap between the box and floor most of the way. That would put the vent on the bow side and an inch clearance should be plenty right? There was zero signs of water in that area. More just dust and dirt, I will say these boat designers thought well on channeling water to designated areas. Even the cup holders have small hoses that feed into the main channel back to the bilge. 

here’s a link to a similar box shape/design as mine but mine is a 12 and the sub is more on the opposite end of the vent not in the middle like this one. I can’t post the picture of my actual box so I looked for a google image of something close. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uGeDZrXf3xM/p_953E1X15V2/Memphis-Audio-15-PE1X15V2.html

5 hours ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

It can. In not a fan of point a woofer up. Many woofers have whats called a dust cap in the cent of the cone. Its where the cone connects to the motor structure and they glue a cap over that point. With the woofer up, if water collects in the woofer, it will find its way into the motor after awhile. 

If you have a ported enclosure, this is an entry point for water to also collect and stay in the enclosure. 

If you can spare another 3" of height, consider inverting the enclosure and make it a down-fire by making a couple of risers. 

Jake707    171

Well I couldn’t mount it down firing. There wasn’t enough lip on the sub side of the box. I have it back in as it was for now so I could make sure it’s tuned and ready to go. Still debating on rotating it 90 degrees so it fires into the built in cooler area.