N901    4

Hi All,

My stereo works well as do all the speakers except for the subwoofer. It appears the amp is on and nothing coming from the subwoofer. Does anyone have any idea what I should check? Assuming it could be wiring but I dont even know how to get at the back of the subwoofer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

volzalum    280

I expect the audio guys will chime in, but you want to start either at the front or back of the channels and trace until you find the problem.

If it were me, I would start at the radio:

1) Make sure the RCA cables are connected from the radio to the amp

2) Swap RCA from the sub amp to another amp and verify the other speakers are still working (see if amp is bad)

3) Plug another speaker into the wires that connect to the sub and test for output (see if sub is bad)

N901    4

Thanks for the reply. How do I get behind the sub to see which wires are which?

volzalum    280

It varies by boat and sub, but you probably have to remove the speaker grill and then pull the screws out then the speaker will come out. 

Wylie_Tunes    146

You can use a multi meter and measure the woofer's coil and circuit at the amp. If you know which model woofer it is, you can look the specs up to see what its impedance is. Other wise, id bet its either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm woofer. So the complete circuit would be close to that by a couple tenths of an ohm. Say 3.8 to 4.2 would be normal for a 4 ohm and 1.8 to 2.2 for a 2 ohm. What you are looking for is the meter to be wildly off or showing OL. 

• Like 1

N901    4

Thanks Wylei_Tunes. What do I connect the multi-meter to. I was in the compartment with the amp the other day and couldn't tell what was coming from the subwoofer vs the radio. This is just new to me so I need to learn it. Perhaps I could upload a few pics this weekend and that might help.