volzalum    280

On my 2015 FS44, my boat came from the factory with a 15” prop. The boat performed awesomely with that prop until the end of the first season and I noticed significant Gelcoat burn. Centurion put a 3/16 Inch steel pate on the boat which only allows a 14” prop. The last 4 seasons have been very frustrating performance wise. I am about to make some adjustments to get back to a larger prop. I took measurements and have sufficient motor mount adjustments to ship the prop shaft strut to gain some back. By my calculations, I have enough clearance in the prop shaft log to change the prop shaft angle 1 degree after engine alignment.

On the FS44 there is a recess where the strut anchors. I am having a Stainless plate (~7-5/8 x 3-5/8) made to sit in the recess that has a 1 degree taper across the plate (bow to stern) which is a little over ⅛ inch on the long side. This will align the strut bearings with the new prop shaft angle.

Additionally, I am going to remove and reinstall the steel plate the way the factory should have done it - by recessing it into the fiberglass.

Between the shim and the recessed plate, I should gain nearly an inch of clearance on the prop. I’m hoping to get to a 16 inch prop size, but may have to settle for a 15.5 inch after everything is secured. I know that a 15 worked great, so anything larger will be even better. I will document this with some pictures and discussion once I get it complete (hopefully by mid-July). 

Edited by volzalum
  • Like 1

Kevin Baugh    78

recessing the metal plate seems like a feasible idea but I personally would not try changing the angle of the drive shaft

volzalum    280
1 hour ago, Kevin Baugh said:

recessing the metal plate seems like a feasible idea but I personally would not try changing the angle of the drive shaft

I’m actually not changing the angle. I will realign the motor to keep the same angle. The tapered shim just fills in the gap between the strut and the hull to make sure the actual angle between the engine/v-drive and prop shaft stay the same. So essentially I will be lowering the aft part of the engine about ¼ inch, raising the front of engine and v-drive about ¼ inch, and then filling in the space created where the strut mates to the hull. So I’m rotating the triangle between them without changing any angles. The shaft log (Through hull) has plenty of clearance and the strut bearings will still be perfectly aligned as will the shaft at the v-drive. 

volzalum    280

And I do get that you are talking the angle of the prop shaft to the hull, which is currently 16 degrees, and with my shift will be 17 degrees which may raise the nose slightly under thrust. I can say that the larger prop gives more rise on the rear (I had to add 250 pounds to the nose when switched to the 14 inch prop just due to prop change) so I’m hoping that with a 15.5 or 16 inch prop the rear lift will counteract the change in thrust angle of 1 degree. 

• Like 1

volzalum    280

I ordered the Prop Shaft Strut Shim today. After recalculating everything, the original angle between the hull (where the strut mounts) and the prop shaft is 15 degrees. I am going to change that angle 1.5 degrees and take it to 16.5 degrees. By calculation, the thrust efficiency at 15 degrees has 3.4% loss, and at 16.5 degrees will have 5% loss, so still relatively minor.

For my case, the stainless steel plate will be 3.5 inches wide by 7.5 inches long (fill the bottom of the recess on the boat) and will taper from 0.36 inches at the front to 0.58 inches at the back along the 7.5 inch length. By calculation, it will gain me almost exactly 1 inch of clearance (with the recessed plate) so I am still hoping to adequately clear a 16 inch prop. The trailer has sufficient space to clear up to a 17 inch prop without striking the trailer brace.

Troy    234

Would changing the angle of the engine have any issue with oil in the engine? If you drop the Front of the engine (rear of the boat) and raise the rear of the engine to accommodate the different strut angle will that along with having the rear of the boat down so much surfing have a negative effect on the way the oil is in the pan? 

Just thinking out loud. 

volzalum    280

I am changing the angle way less than my ballast changes the angle every time I surf, so my guess is there will be zero impact on how the engine performs. The only detriment will be the increased loss in prop efficiency in the water.

Jlagos    23

sounds like quite an endeavor. Have you tried changing the propeller to one with a different pitch to try and offset the loss in size of propeller?

volzalum    280

I have. The boat ran great with the 15 inch prop but has been a dog since Centurion put the plate on which limited the clearance. The 14 inch prop regardless of pitch just does not have the same bite, so its puts the engine (XR550) outside of its torque band. I tried multiple props with Acme, and we could never get it closer than current one.

The actual shim is just 8 bots for the strut and then the four engine mounts to align. It actually doesn't look like it will be overly difficult. The hardest part will be reaching the nuts under the engine for the strut bolts. The routing to recess the plate will be slow just to make sure I do not get outside of my footprint for the plate. Since the engine alignment has not been checked since the 25 hour inspection, it probably needs an alignment anyway.

Edited by volzalum
  • Like 1

volzalum    280

Here is the wedge shim I had made for my boat. It’s out of 304 Stainless Steel.

8923B157-7475-482C-9B55-0B2618EFC98F.jpeg

Jlagos    23

Interesting, good luck with the routing. 

volzalum    280

Luckily for the routing, the steel prop wash plate does not have the same curvature/recess as the fiberglass, so I will not have to remove much (just a little along the edges), and then put an epoxy barrier over the fiberglass and then the steel prop wash plate back where the edges are all flush with the fiberglass. Of course the shape of the recess in the prop wash plate is why the prop size was reduced so much when Centurion put it on. The plate in the picture above is the one for the prop strut to keep the bearings aligned to the through hull prop log.

boardjnky4    8

I'm really interested in how this turns out. Not a Centurion owner anymore, but sincerely interested for my current boat. I believe I can already squeeze a 15.5" on my boat, so I really only need to gain .25-.5" to get a 16" on.

Where did you order the plate? Somewhere local?

Once concern I have is within the shaft log. How much clearance is required around the shaft for driveline flex? Is there any flex?

Edited by boardjnky4

volzalum    280

I had the plate custom made at a machine shop. I gave them the dimensions and thicknesses I wanted and they machined it to the taper.

For mine, I will verify the shaft clearances through the log after getting the prop shaft aligned through the strut bearings. It looks like the only potential change (worst case) is I may have to remove ⅛ of fiberglass on the bottom of the hole at the exit of the shaft log. The log itself is very large and has plenty of clearance so its just to make sure I can at a minimum slide a zip tie around the shaft where it exits the hull/

• Like 1

boardjnky4    8
On 6/5/2020 at 0:05 PM, volzalum said:

I had the plate custom made at a machine shop. I gave them the dimensions and thicknesses I wanted and they machined it to the taper.

For mine, I will verify the shaft clearances through the log after getting the prop shaft aligned through the strut bearings. It looks like the only potential change (worst case) is I may have to remove ⅛ of fiberglass on the bottom of the hole at the exit of the shaft log. The log itself is very large and has plenty of clearance so its just to make sure I can at a minimum slide a zip tie around the shaft where it exits the hull/

Get a chance to install it yet?

volzalum    280

No. Its a project for tomorrow into Saturday (It has rained every evening this week and last weekend). I have everything apart, but still need to remove the exhaust line so I can reach the bolts under the engine.

• Like 1

volzalum    280

I’ve still got to button up everything and tighten the engine mounts, and get the strut bolts 4200’d and tightened, but here are a few pics of the change in clearance. On the supercharged engine, it is a pain to get to the six bolts. I’ll post some more pics later this week of the alignment and prop log clearances.

After talking to ACME, they are recommending a 15.5x15 prop even if I have clearance for a 16” one, so I am going to hold off on countersinking the steel plate to see how the 15.5 performs. I should have slightly more clearance for the 15.5 than I currently have on the 14  

C8626DC3-B8A9-423D-9F57-B3E07122679F.jpeg

BEAF991D-B89E-4E0F-B368-9442E4E40820.jpeg

DCF83DB9-0889-4A5B-A9C5-3F3C7DB726C5.jpeg

436DB976-BC35-4342-80B6-022439CF1936.jpeg

8A7AF802-7840-4A7D-873A-DD3F1BC3CFC5.jpeg

A6DED33A-868C-46FB-923E-7FFBB220DE48.jpeg

BFD7BC66-E03B-4414-B732-161F911B6B8E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Hokiebob    0

so what clearance did you have w/the 15" and what do you expect w/the mods and 15.5"?

volzalum    280

with the 14 inch prop (after the factory put the steel plate on, I had just over ½ inch clearance to the plate. Without routing the steel plate to be flush mounted, I expect right at ⅝ inch clearance on the 15.5 inch prop. I ordered the Acme 2847 today (based on Acme's recommendation). It is a 15.5x15x0.075 Cup prop. If I have any cavitation or slipping, I will countersink the plate this winter (which would get me to just over ¾ inch clearance.) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..