Hdrk2004    0

What is everyone using to clean the oustside with? I’m in ohio and the water isn’t the cleanest, after a weekend I get a pretty nasty water line. Looking for the best stuff to remove it and to help keep it off.

rhino89523    34

white vinegar and water cleans up a scum ring quick and cheap. I hit mine with it when I run mud holes, just have it in a spray bottle and hit it with a rag.

Jlagos    23

As rhino said water and vinegar work well and is very inexpensive. The vinegar helps with the water spots if you were not aware. I have used several products and find them to be very similar including star bright boat guard speed detailer,  Meguiars ultimate detailer and 303 speed detailer. The supposed benefit of the latter group compared to the vinegar is they have UV inhibitors. If your boat is properly waxed it should make no difference. I do like the idea of applying ( at least thinking I'm doing good) the uv inhibitors. You will always need to wipe off the scum regardless. The star bright is supposed to have teflon so I wonder if this would work better. It would be interesting if you compared this product to the water and vinegar mixture and see if a difference is noticable in accumulation of scum  and ease of removable.

Jlagos    23

Here is a link that might interest you. Turtle wax received top kudos. I wonder how there new ceramic spray product would work on gel coats?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/searching-for-spray-shine&ved=2ahUKEwiphsC0g8TpAhUxh-AKHVCpCF44FBAWMAJ6BAgFEAE&usg=AOvVaw1lqiBJeiOByOUuLDlguw9F

rhino89523    34

The other thing I have used on the gel coat is furniture polish. I use it as my speed detailer on both my boat and Harley. Nothing ever has made my fiberglass bags on the bike look as good as furniture polish, again I'm kind of cheap but only if it has results. I've used almost every speed detailer available at an autoparts store and find pledge to do a better job than any of them for less. I use it on dirtbike stuff as well because dirt and mud wont stick to it. I basically do a full detail on the boat at the end of the year. I do a full polish with the wheel, I have used Meguiar's since I was a kid working in a detail shop so I just stick with it because I am used to it....but I think they all probably work well. I'll cut it a little with rubbing compound if I have scratches or anything and then just mirror glaze it. I hit the interior really heavy at the same time, clean it out really good and then treat it with the 303 interior product.

Throughout the year I just wipe it down after use, I'm not totally anal about it. I like to have fun and I like everyone on my boat to have fun so I don't get crazy with the rules. When we are done playing if it was a dirty lake or I have hard water spots I chase it with vinegar and water and follow that with a quick furniture polish rub. if there are no water spots or grime ring I just furniture polish it. I do that all year until the end and then a full polish.

The vinegar and water also works well on the wifes stainless in the kitchen.