Sign in to follow this  
wakerunner5

Issues with Supreme vs other brands?

wakerunner5    0

I bought a new Supreme S211 about a year ago. This boat has been broken down more than working since I have had it, always overheating issues. I bought a new boat so I wouldn't have issues and not have to worry about it breaking down. The dealer finally figured out the issue and replaced the impeller a few months ago because it had a leak. Since then I only ran it a couple of times, then had it on the trailer all winter. Now I get the boat back out and it is overheating again.

I'm wondering if I got a lemon, this is typical for Supreme, this is typical for all boats or what. My last boat I had over 20 years ago and never had issues with it, of course it was a lot different boat, stern drive bow rider. I thought that paying 90K for a boat would mean I wouldn't have to worry about issues with it, for a few years at least, I guess I was totally wrong about that.

Aquaholic1    3

Sounds like a lemon to me. But I think the bigger problem is that you spent 90k on an s211! You can get a zs232 for Just about  that! Unfortunately my buddy had tiges’  for the lAst 6 years, buying new every other year.... this last one he got has had more issues and shop time than any boat I’ve heard of. It’s rare but it happens. Supreme is an excellent product! Just sounds like you got a bad one and the shaft by your dealership 

InfinitySurf    302

These kind of boats require more maintenance than an I/O, for the most part impellers have to be replaced every 50hrs and/or each season. Usually best to do it in the Spring since the impeller vanes can take a set sitting in a single position over the winter, once the vanes lose their flexibility, they do not operate right. I always do my first start of the year in the driveway using a garden hose and carefully watch to be sure the system is pulling water properly and water is coming out of the exhaust within 20-30 seconds (I also turn on the hose and let it run for 30-60 seconds before starting the engine so it can push some water into the system... and at least gets to the impeller so it does not run dry at all). I run the boat for 15-20 mins in the driveway, or at the dock, on the first start and make sure that engine comes up to operating temp and then holds the right temp with no overheating. NEVER let the boat run hot, if you dont shut it down before it hits 200 degree's, its possible for major damage to occur to the engine.

If the boat was winterized by the dealer....its possible that they closed the water intake valve at your hull and if that was not re-opened before you took it out, the engine is not getting any water and would overheat pretty quickly (and destroy the impeller). Also if all the water was drained from the engine to winterize it and was empty....sometimes if you just drop it into the lake empty and do not prime the system first with a hose, the impeller does not self-prime (cause its sucking air and cant create a vacuum to suck in the water like it needs) and it doesnt take long for the impeller to become trashed.

Another issue that can cause overheating and the impeller not being able to move the water volume properly.... is any air leaks in the system even if system is primed and already full of water (sounds like maybe that was an issue last year?). So if a drain plug for engine was not installed right, or there is an air leak at the water strainer or the impeller cover o-ring is not fully sealed, the impeller cannot move enough water to keep the system cool.

Another possibility is when they replaced the impeller last year, if the one they replaced had damage and missing vanes, etc... those pieces could have gotten stuck in the cooler and are blocked water from flowing thru like it should.

21 hours ago, wakerunner5 said:

I bought a new Supreme S211 about a year ago. This boat has been broken down more than working since I have had it, always overheating issues. I bought a new boat so I wouldn't have issues and not have to worry about it breaking down. The dealer finally figured out the issue and replaced the impeller a few months ago because it had a leak. Since then I only ran it a couple of times, then had it on the trailer all winter. Now I get the boat back out and it is overheating again.

I'm wondering if I got a lemon, this is typical for Supreme, this is typical for all boats or what. My last boat I had over 20 years ago and never had issues with it, of course it was a lot different boat, stern drive bow rider. I thought that paying 90K for a boat would mean I wouldn't have to worry about issues with it, for a few years at least, I guess I was totally wrong about that.

My personal opinion is when I bought it was a great deal for the value. However I have had issues with it, and my whole interior needs to be replaced. If I had to do it again I would have bought a brand with better local support to me. Moomba, AXIS, Malibu, etc. are the popular boats where I live. You don't ever see Supremes. I've found it isn't good for surfing either (even thoughts it says Surf Series on it) without putting lead weight in the boat. 

jeepfrk9    8

My buddy just bought a new Malibu 23mxz for a ridiculous amount of money and it’s been a nightmare. 
short list in 3 trips. 
-turn the driver seat and it hits and tears the bench seat behind. 

17 leaks found after the hull was full of water, basically every fitting on the boat  

bilge pump was plumbed to pump back into the boat  

Stereo now cuts out And shuts off 

overheated 2nd day and shut down, had to go home 

gelcoat failure in 3 spots  

That’s just off the top of my head.  It’s a flagship boat too.  Not a full day out on the water yet without issues. 

viking    491
On 5/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, wakerunner5 said:

Your issue actually sounds extremely simple and a $30 useable/wearable part as the likely cause/issue/ and solution in both cases.

I replace my impeller every year whether I need it or not.   Not that these boats don't have issues across all brands but these forums can be your friend as there is a wealth of information on them and doing some of your own maintenance can be a godsend if you don't have a great dealer in your area.

Edited by viking