N901

2006 Avalanche C4

N901    4

Hi All,

When I purchased this boat in the fall the previous owner indicated that the PerfectPass only seems to like sunny days and fades in and out at times. Seems to be a common problem. Anyway, PerfectPass recommended I replace the gauge and upgrade to the GPS star gazer edition kit. Seems like roughly an $800 upgrade. Would you guys recommend this? I'm brand new to these boats. I know it doesn't have a "monster" wave but the previous owner surfed it and I figured it would be a good boat to get my kids into surfing. I'm sure there are ways I can make the wave larger by adding weight. Any thoughts on the gauge or adding weight/upgrades would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Troy    234

An Avy can throw an awesome wave. Make sure the connections are good on the PP. 

Are you planning on listing the boat, a suck gate or tabs? I list mine and love my wave. Others like the suckgate (fuel hog) and others like adding tabs. If you have to swap sides alot, I recommend the infinity tabs. If you ride the same side all the time, list it and save the $$$. 

For my listed wave I do the factory center, 1500lb custom sac and about another 200-300 lbs on the seat. the wave is tall, long and has good push. Just a driver maybe a kid or 2. I also have a custom a-plate. Since we only surf goofy, my whole system is designed for that side. I've done write ups on here about my ballast system and plate. 

Welcome to the Crew!!!!

• Like 1

N901    4

Hi Troy, 

Thanks for the feedback. I assume by list it you mean lean to one side? That’s what I would plan on doing so I’ll look at your write ups. This boat still has the factory tanks and I was looking at sacks. Maybe I’ll start with some of those lead bags to add weight to start. I’ll have to research what an a-plate is. The previous owner gave me this huge anchor shaped plate that came with the boat but he said he never used it as it messed with handling. 

thanks again!!

Troy    234

Yes. List = lean over to one side. 
I included a picture of mine listed. Little less than normal because we are resting but you get the picture. Lead is good, I trailer mine all them time so I like the water weight. Empty and go home. I don’t haul around all the extra weight all the time. To list, you need to practice driving and be very aware of your surroundings! When the surfer falls. Bring throttle back to neutral while turning hard to opposite side of the wave. The wave will ouch the back of the boat around and you can drive right back to the surfer. Practice this and you will get the hang of it. 

Where are you located? If in the DFW area, I’d be more than happy to take you out and show you some listed driving techniques. 

E3C5B5F9-8665-4EAF-9998-141F17BC11FF.jpeg

Bigcatpt    408

As Troy already said the Avy will throw a great wave.  In its day the Avy had the best surf wave on the market.  

Sound like you have a Switchblade attachment for the back of the boat.  This when used correctly adds downforce to the back of the boat to help with making the wave.  I think it adds  the equivalent of 1000 or 1200 lbs of down force.  Some people really love them.  They can make maneuvering at slow speeds a little challenging...but you will learn how to manage.  

You are going to want to eventually (sooner than later) tear out the stock ballast and upgrade in order to get the wave you are looking for and not wait 20 minutes to get it.  And as Troy mentioned...if you trailer a lot you are not going to want all those weight bags.  Do it right with water weight and then supplement with weight bags to tune your wave.  

Are you and your family regular or goofy while surfing? 

The perfect pass Stargazer upgrade is a great upgrade if the other one is not working.  You will definitely want speed control for surfing.  We call it the marriage saver.  

For weight you are going to want either a custom L shaped sac to fill the rear compartment and come forward under the side seats (about 1400 or 1500 lbs).  Or an 1100# fat sac in the rear locker and #500# sac under the side seats.  Center ballast full.  The Avy doesn't really need much if any weight in the front.  Maybe just 1 hottie in a bikini really.  

Keep asking questions.   Lots of people willing to help that know their Avy's inside and out.  I had my Avy for 13 years before upgrading.  Also you may want to check out Official Centurion/Supreme boat owners group on Facebook.  This CenturionCrew page is great but the FB one seems to have more traffic and more users lately. 

• Like 1

N901    4

Very nice. I'm in Maine otherwise I'd take you up on that; thanks for the offer! I like the sound of the sideswipe exhaust... muscle car sound. I could see it getting annoying at times but for now Im keeping it. Not sure why I couldn't remove the photobucket watermark in the other thread. Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll many more questions along the way.

N901    4
9 minutes ago, Bigcatpt said:

As Troy already said the Avy will throw a great wave.  In its day the Avy had the best surf wave on the market.  

Sound like you have a Switchblade attachment for the back of the boat.  This when used correctly adds downforce to the back of the boat to help with making the wave.  I think it adds  the equivalent of 1000 or 1200 lbs of down force.  Some people really love them.  They can make maneuvering at slow speeds a little challenging...but you will learn how to manage.  

You are going to want to eventually (sooner than later) tear out the stock ballast and upgrade in order to get the wave you are looking for and not wait 20 minutes to get it.  And as Troy mentioned...if you trailer a lot you are not going to want all those weight bags.  Do it right with water weight and then supplement with weight bags to tune your wave.  

Are you and your family regular or goofy while surfing? 

The perfect pass Stargazer upgrade is a great upgrade if the other one is not working.  You will definitely want speed control for surfing.  We call it the marriage saver.  

For weight you are going to want either a custom L shaped sac to fill the rear compartment and come forward under the side seats (about 1400 or 1500 lbs).  Or an 1100# fat sac in the rear locker and #500# sac under the side seats.  Center ballast full.  The Avy doesn't really need much if any weight in the front.  Maybe just 1 hottie in a bikini really.  

Keep asking questions.   Lots of people willing to help that know their Avy's inside and out.  I had my Avy for 13 years before upgrading.  Also you may want to check out Official Centurion/Supreme boat owners group on Facebook.  This CenturionCrew page is great but the FB one seems to have more traffic and more users lately. 

Thanks Bigcatpt. So if the boat has the stock 3 ballast tanks do I just remove those and add 3 sacs? If I do that, do I need more on the rear seats? Appreciate the help. Brand new to all of this and was hoping I got a good starter boat for the job. I"m pretty certain we are all regular and not goofy but I have to test that with my little one. Is the stargazer upgrade something I can do being pretty handy or is better to have it done? 

Thanks again!

Edited by N901

Troy    234

The Avy regular wave is awesome with out much tweaking. I've done a lot of trial stuff to mine to make my goofy wave the way it is.  you need to Remove port hard tank. Get a custom bag that fills the locker and goes up under the port seats, fill it up and surf.  The wave will be great. Do some practice driving before listing it as hard as mine. But once you get use to driving it listed, you'll love the wave.  

Look for BigCatpt custom ballast thread and mine.  Of course mine is for the starboard side but it will give you the gist. 

Troy    234

Helpful links.  You don't need the a-plate for regular side surfing. Really helps the wave on the goofy side. 

• Like 1

jtryon    24

i would keep the paddlewheel GPS and just get a replacement servo motor for $189 if your PP screen is fine.  when you start the boat, do you see the motor initialize by tightening itself a couple clicks?

N901    4

Unfortunately I haven't even taken it out yet. Still cold in the NE. I took a few test drives with the previous owner in the fall and when it was cloudy/overcast/damp the screen didn't work. However, on the sunny days it was fine.  This was the response I got from the PP guys:

The only fix is to replace the gauge and upgrade the system to run it.  
The cost is $239 US for the gauge and $569 US for the GPS based Star 
Gazer Wake Edition upgrade kit.

Bigcatpt    408
On 4/22/2020 at 8:59 AM, N901 said:

Thanks Bigcatpt. So if the boat has the stock 3 ballast tanks do I just remove those and add 3 sacs? If I do that, do I need more on the rear seats? Appreciate the help. Brand new to all of this and was hoping I got a good starter boat for the job. I"m pretty certain we are all regular and not goofy but I have to test that with my little one. Is the stargazer upgrade something I can do being pretty handy or is better to have it done? 

Thanks again!

Sorry I missed your questions.  

Yes pull the hard tanks out.  Pull out all the sprinkler valves and other garbage back there.....they just slow down your fill times. 

If you have one jabsco ballast pump it is best to add a second one for faster fill times.  Use them as reversible pumps and just fill and drain right out through the bottom of the boat. 

Use stock 1100# sacs in the rear lockers with 580# (I think.... its been awhile) under the side seats.  Or get custom L shaped sacs (Enzo sacs made custom for your Avy).  Both will work.  

So you will be running roughly 1500# on each side plus your center ballast.  Only fill the side you are surfing on and the center ballast.  No opposite side weight and no bow weight.  Maybe just one bikini in the bow if you would like.  

If you really want to pump up the wave throw a fat brick sac strapped on the swim deck.  Or 100# of lead bags in the rear corners of the locker.  

If you have a small crew of only 3 or 4 people you can throw a 400# sac on the rear seat toward the corner of the side you are surfing.  But only if your crew is small.  

Basically get your rub rail touching the water on the surf side and then go 10.7 to 11.2 mph GPS speed and watch the magic happen.  The Avy throws a really clean great wave on the regular side.  

Yes Perfect Pass Stargazer is an easy install.  Their customer support was very helpful during the process.  

Let me know if you have questions.  Best of luck.  

• Like 1

N901    4

Thanks for the detailed write up! So the wakemakers upgrade bags you wouldn’t recommend? They are 740lbs on each side. Does wakemakers make the 1100# bags you’re talking about. Is there another company I should be looking at?

Ordered the stargazer upgrade hoping to get that in this weekend. thanks for you help!

Troy    234

FatSac makes the 1100, but I thought wakemakers did too.  Wakemakers actually did my custom sac for my Starboard side. 

superdtf    68

Wakemakers makes an 1150. 

What'd you end up doing?  That Avy can surf like a mofo with the ballast slammed down.

N901    4
3 hours ago, superdtf said:

Wakemakers makes an 1150. 

What'd you end up doing?  That Avy can surf like a mofo with the ballast slammed down.

Havent done anything yet honestly. Was looking at the factory upgrade kit from WakeMAKERS which is dual 740lb bags or just doing the 1150lb sac on the surf side. I like that the upgrade kit comes with everything you need and connects to the existing system/switches, etc. Been trying to get in touch with WakeMAKERS to see what I need to do if I just buy the 1150lb sac and want to connect it to my existing switches but been tough to get them on the line. I'm a rookie at this so I just dont know enough other than I know I need more weight.

Shane MT    2
On 4/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, Troy said:

An Avy can throw an awesome wave. Make sure the connections are good on the PP. 

Are you planning on listing the boat, a suck gate or tabs? I list mine and love my wave. Others like the suckgate (fuel hog) and others like adding tabs. If you have to swap sides alot, I recommend the infinity tabs. If you ride the same side all the time, list it and save the $$$. 

For my listed wave I do the factory center, 1500lb custom sac and about another 200-300 lbs on the seat. the wave is tall, long and has good push. Just a driver maybe a kid or 2. I also have a custom a-plate. Since we only surf goofy, my whole system is designed for that side. I've done write ups on here about my ballast system and plate. 

Welcome to the Crew!!!!

Hey Troy, what A-plate are you running?

Troy    234
On 2/24/2023 at 11:33 PM, Shane MT said:

Hey Troy, what A-plate are you running?

A custom one I had built. I have a thread on it somewhere on here.