socalsti04

ZS232 wave setup advice

socalsti04    0

Not a lot of posts out there about the ZS232, but a few from @2011V208 stating it takes some tinkering.  I've only had mine out twice (once being the demo) and I've struggled to consistently shape up a good wave.  When it's on, it's amazing (VERY tall) but it seems even a small movement from a passenger will make it crumble.  With a 8 people total (4 of them fairly light weight) I had the quick surf set up for 100% for goofy (starboard side wave) and lightened PNP port to ~30% and bow tank to ~50% (rest at 100%) and played with the trim tab pretty much all over the place.  Tried a full bow, full everything, and a few other configurations but I'm hoping there's a more consistent setup. 

Anyone else have a quality setup or other setups that I should explore some?  It seems finicky overall, doesn't take much to go from amazing to crappy.  Thanks in advance for advice.

InfinitySurf    302

The Centurion/Supreme Facebook page would be a great resource for this, lot of people there with the ZS232. Have heard a lot of great reviews on that boat! I do not have any personal experience with your boat....but am guessing that maybe how you are deploying your tabs is effecting the wave (you said you set at 100% for goofy?), you want the LEAST amount of surf tab possible to get a clean wave, the further you deploy the surf tab after that, the washier/worse the wave will get. Perhaps what is worth trying is filling ballast and then start deploying your surf tab a little at a time while watching the wave to see if that helps

socalsti04    0

Will head over there, and thank you very much for the advice.  This is my first surf boat (only rented Axis in the past, and they were pretty simple with SurfGate) so appreciate the help!

VegasZS232    1

I just bought a 2020 ZS232 and have noticed the same sensitivity to the wave but after couple days of playing with it I think I am starting to get it figured out.  My current preferred set up is as follows. 

Usually 5-7 people

full ballast (dealer recommended draining the small 250lb bag on opposite side, but I didn't notice a difference with this) 

Center tab at 50-60 (70+ makes wave noticeably shorter but less steep and friendlier for beginners.  this tab is the easiest way to mellow out wave 

surf tab slightly larger number then center tab. ie center at 55 and surf at 65 

I also noticed speed is huge too.  dealer recommended 11.2 but my wave is better at 10.9-11.  haven't played with lead yet.  

I will keep you posted on any new tweaks or findings. 

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

Any new info on this subject?

I’m looking for details on how to set up a mellow wave for skim and a steeper wave for surf. Both port and starboard.

Also, from what I’ve heard, in terms of ballast, you just fill it all and use the tabs to adjust from there. Is this correct from those with ZS232 experience?

InfinitySurf    302

I had a buddy demo a ZS232 last night, I was supposed to go with him but at the last minute had to drive out of town to check on a job. He echoed some of the above.... that dialing the wave requires precise setup and once set up its very weight sensitive to movement and can crumble if people start moving around in the boat. Great wave once dialed correctly

Troy. R    198

I found this video to be pretty useful in dialing the wave this past weekend since the ZS hull in very similar to the Opti-Vee.

Troy. R    198

I was running full ballast, -10% of the off side pnp drained today with surf tabs at 70 (light crew, only the 3 kids, wife and I). Wife rides skim, so I had the stinger plate at 80-90 for her. I ride surf style primarily and had the stinger at 50.

that wave was AMAZING! My Avy was dialed and this thing blows it away...

Troy. R    198
On 6/24/2020 at 7:51 AM, InfinitySurf said:

I had a buddy demo a ZS232 last night, I was supposed to go with him but at the last minute had to drive out of town to check on a job. He echoed some of the above.... that dialing the wave requires precise setup and once set up its very weight sensitive to movement and can crumble if people start moving around in the boat. Great wave once dialed correctly

Did your buddy end up buying a ZS?

We’ve only had ours out 3 times, but Love it so far!

InfinitySurf    302
On 7/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, Troy. R said:

Did your buddy end up buying a ZS?

We’ve only had ours out 3 times, but Love it so far!

He hasn't bought one yet, the current market demand is making it tough to get into a new boat for a reasonable price. Sounds like he is now planning to hang onto what he has for now and make the upgrade when things smooth out. He did really like the boat and he is planning on the ZS or an FI

Edited by InfinitySurf

Troy. R    198

You’re right! The boat market is nuts right now!

Ilucked out and got a steal on a new 2019 ZS232 from a dealer in Florida (I’m in AZ). It cost me an extra $2k to have it shipped, but well worth it.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

Now that I’ve been out a number of times, here is what I have found on the surf setup on both sides...

fill all ballast, then drain about 10-15% out of the offside PnP. Set the surf tabs at about 70 for a light crew (5 or less) and adjust up as the crew size grows. I like the stinger place at about 55-60 for surf style. For the wife and kids that ride skim, I set the stinger plate to 90+.

As others have said, the wave is weight sensitive to people placement. I’ve found if you put the people on the surf side it helps clean up the lip of the wave. Another option is to drain more weight from the offside.

The last thing I want to try is draining 10% out of the larger main surf tank instead of the PnP. I also want to try draining 10% out of both the main surf tank and the PnP.

I’ll report back with my finding.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

Tried something new today and it was my favorite setup so far. Fill everything and drain 10% out of the offside PnP, rear corner, and QF main surf tank. Then use the surf tabs to clean up the lip (light crew surf tab at 65-ish and increase as crew size increases). Then use the stinger plate to adjust how steep/mellow the wave is. We we’re running about 60 for surf style and 90-100 for skim.

Schnboo    0

New to the board. I've talked to Troy R a bit. Just wanted to share what I've done the last three times I've had mine out. I bought the boat early Dec. and got it out in Feb and Mar. My set up is as follows and it changes with people weight. 100% on all ballast, 500 in lead midship on the surf side, stinger at 100 (this is with 2.5 people on the surf side and the driver) 70 on the quick surf. This was for the regular side surf wake. Water temp was 50 air was 60. 

Schnboo    0

I'm not the author of the video either. That MF is a lil nuts! Him and his daughter! I was the one that sucks (drysuit).

Troy. R    198
9 hours ago, Schnboo said:

New to the board. I've talked to Troy R a bit. Just wanted to share what I've done the last three times I've had mine out. I bought the boat early Dec. and got it out in Feb and Mar. My set up is as follows and it changes with people weight. 100% on all ballast, 500 in lead midship on the surf side, stinger at 100 (this is with 2.5 people on the surf side and the driver) 70 on the quick surf. This was for the regular side surf wake. Water temp was 50 air was 60. 

I’m jealous!

We haven’t been able to get out yet this year. Hopefully we will soon. We’ll be in the 90s pretty soon.

Schnboo    0
11 hours ago, Troy. R said:

I’m jealous!

We haven’t been able to get out yet this year. Hopefully we will soon. We’ll be in the 90s pretty soon.

Are you shitting me?!?!? 90's??? Wow dude! That's awesome! I swear my wife and I are moving to Az when I retire in 8 years. I bet I'd use my boat 9 months a year!

Troy. R    198
13 hours ago, Schnboo said:

Are you shitting me?!?!? 90's??? Wow dude! That's awesome! I swear my wife and I are moving to Az when I retire in 8 years. I bet I'd use my boat 9 months a year!

I would use it year round on a typical year, but it just didn’t work out that way this year. Another contributing factor was that none of my friends/family around here have wetsuits. My brother and brother-in-law are getting them for next year, or so they say.

Schnboo    0
9 hours ago, Troy. R said:

I would use it year round on a typical year, but it just didn’t work out that way this year. Another contributing factor was that none of my friends/family around here have wetsuits. My brother and brother-in-law are getting them for next year, or so they say.

I hear you. This year and last year have been pretty f#cked. I did have one buddy threaten to buy a suit and actually did. Now he's in the market for an older wake boat. He's looking at an 09 Supreme V232 this weekend. Supposed to rain but he said he's going to look anyway. 

Troy. R    198

Thought I’d update this thread. I’ve been playing with my setup lately and found my favorite so far yesterday. Still filling all and draining 10% from the non-surf side. We start with the surf tabs at 100 and adjust as needed to clean up the lip of the wave depending on crew size, and where people are sitting. The biggest change was moving the stinger plate to 45 for surf style. WOW! There was so much push and the wave was so rampy! I also set the stinger at 70 for my wife to see if she liked it. Surfing into the wind last time out with the stinger at 90 she said there wasn’t enough push. She said she really liked the wave with the stinger at 70.

Im pretty sure this setup would work well for the EZ-V hulls as well.