mspring135    0

I have an '05 Elite V C4 and I'm in the process of wiring dual batteries with a Battery Doctor Isolator. Hooking up the isolator is straight forward per their diagram. I have a deep cycle battery for the second auxiliary battery and a cranking battery for starting. The question that I have is regarding swapping over auxiliary equipment to the Aux Deep Cycle Battery (#2). I would like to do more than just hook up my amp and stereo to this battery. I found the distribution block with all of the fuses for lights, ballast, stereo, blower, bilge pumps, etc. under the dash (see attached). Can I disconnect the power feed wire for this distribution block (top, red, 10AWG wire that is coming from somewhere in the engine bay) and run a new lead to this distribution block directly from the Aux Battery? My concern is that if I feed this block from the new Aux battery and then run the engine (all of the gauges, sensors, ECU, etc. are now powered) is there going to be something that is now being fed power/connected to both the starting battery and Aux battery? I can't find any wiring diagrams for these boats to see where the power branches off from the main cable (starting battery) (ECU, sensors?) and would also potentially be provided power by that distribution block that is now being fed from the Aux battery (most likely what ever that ignition fuse powers, top right, yellow 20A). Thanks!

123-1.jpeg

mspring135    0

Here is how I am planning on wiring my system. My idea is that the isolator should automatically maintain both batteries charged and the "house" loads from the fused distribution block can be run completely off of the new lead coming from the Aux second battery, which will also be charging while the boat is running with the isolator working. If for some reason the Aux battery dies, I can use the Perko switch to re-align power to the house loads from the factory lead that was lifted and moved to the Perko switch from the starting battery. The isolator can also be overriden to connect both batteries in parallel if the starting battery is dead. 

I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking the way that things are connected back in the engine compartment and inadvertently have some weird circulating current or interconnect the batteries through the engine bay wiring. 

IMG_0147.jpg

Wylie_Tunes    146

Have you contacted your "battery Dr iso" dealer for assistance? Most of your diagram is is incorrect. 

mspring135    0

Which part specifically, the battery doctor isolator is wired per their drawing. I also understand that the perko switch is not wired typically to the battery but rather further down the system. 

047F5DA5-A668-4BD1-98A7-062F08837FBD.jpeg

mspring135    0

I also realize that it looks like a child’s drawing lol, please don’t let that distract from the question.. To clarify, the line running from the “engine” to the “2” position on the perko is just the factory lead that goes to the fused distribution block currently.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Not judging the art work in any way, simply the electrical flow and termination points. In your drawing, nothing will work, boat wont start but with the switch on only one position. Everything will be drawing off the AUX battery. That schematic from Battery Dr does not include a dual bank switch, so its not a good representation of what are wanting to accomplish. 

mspring135    0

I appreciate the help on this, I may need to re-draw to better show the arrangement. The way that (ideally) I am looking to have things wired would be to either have power being fed to the “house” loads from the aux battery or from the original hot lead which is powered from the starting battery. Also, I want the isolator to recharge both batteries without having to flip a switch, which as I understand it, is what the battery doctor style isolators do. This way I can sit with ballast, stereo, lights, etc. without having to worry about being able to restart should the aux battery die. I see now that I also would want to keep the fused “Ignition” lead under the dash fed from the original hot lead from the engine bay/starting battery to accomplish this. I was trying to avoid wiring a new second distribution block for the house loads since really all but the ignition lead (gauges/starting) would be moved over to a new aux block. 

mspring135    0

I was thinking like this, only with the switch only handling the house load power source not two different circuits since the isolator can connect both if needed for an emergency start.

57767A39-93BD-4E9B-8692-445C911DB5A0.jpeg

Wylie_Tunes    146

You do not want to have starter draw going through the VSR isolator. Your switch is quite different then the one in ^^^ this illustration. Your switch is designed, and intended, to have all loads go through it, with a couple of exceptions, depending on the boat. Despite the switch difference, as you can see, all loads are going through the switch on the above illustration. 

1 hour ago, mspring135 said:

The way that (ideally) I am looking to have things wired would be to either have power being fed to the “house” loads from the aux battery

Based on this and the rest of this post, you have the least ideal switch, to do this. 

mspring135    0

Let’s take the switch out of the conversation for now since it’s not really necessary with the battery doctor isolator. If I do the following, what issues do you see:

1) Wire the isolator per the diagram from battery doctor. As I understand it, this should maintain both batteries charged and allow connecting them for a short duration to start in an emergency.

2) Run a cable from the auxiliary battery + to the fused distribution block under the dash so that all the house loads (except ignition and gauges, below) run off the new battery.

3) Move the stereo system power to the aux battery.

4) Retain the original distribution block + cable to power the ignition lead which will be moved off of the factory fused distribution block to a new fused line. This will retain the ignition circuit/gauges on the starting battery and shouldn’t cross power paths with the aux battery hotel circuits as far as I can tell looking at the Merc 350 Mag MPI schematics.

Thanks!

Wylie_Tunes    146

In simple terms, the voltage sensing relay isolator, allows charge voltage to pass from the main bank to the house bank, when there is charge. And, prevent loads from each bank to draw from the other bank, when there is no charge. So the introduction of the device, changes little to nothing, regarding the wiring of the rest of the system as it pertains to the style of switch you have. 

If you leave out the main battery switch, you lose 2 important functions. 1) the ability to separate the loads from the batteries, when the boat is not in use. 2) you do not have means to use the house bank for emergency starting. IMO, the switch, and the proper one for the design, is the backbone of the battery system. 

I know the battery dr unit states it has a manual combine mode for emergency parallel starting. As I stated, I would not do this. That unit has a 150A peak. A V8 starter can easily peak north of 250A, then level off around 200A once the engine is up to starter speed. 

mspring135    0

Good point on the isolator max amperage, I missed the fact that the 150A fuse to the aux battery will blow if you try to cross connect to start using the battery doctor. If I add a 6011 switch or equivalent, that should enable me to keep the circuits separate as well as interconnect for a dead starter battery and bypass the VSR, correct? I definitely overthought this one and came up with a dumb plan, thanks for the help.

I'm still a little hesitant on the ignition wiring, specifically, having the ignition circuit on the starting battery and everything else powered from the fused distribution block from the other battery would result in the two batteries being connected, i.e., voltage differential, somewhere down the line in a relay, sensor, etc. I would not think that this would be the case but want to make sure before something gets fried.

To test this out so far, I lifted the + 10 AWG lead to the distribution block as well as the ignition lead from that same block. I used a fused test lead to power just the ignition lead and verified that all necessary things to run the boat (gauges/ecu/starting circuit) have power which lead me to believe that I would be okay splitting out the power sources. 

Wylie_Tunes    146

A Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus switch and VSR will allow you to achieve: 

Zero non-critical loads connected direct to a battery

isolation of the main and house bank while under load

Charging of both banks while engine running

One step ON and OFF

Emergency starting. 

Dedicated house and dedicated main cranking banks

If that 10ga B+ supply to the helm fuse box does not connect to the existing battery's B+, then it likely terminates to starter main post or somewhere else around then engine. You would have to either relocate this, or just run a new supply from the house side of the switch. If the key switch's B+ input comes from that fuse box, you also need to pull that off and draw from the main side of the switch. 

Troy    234

I'm running the battery dr. for about 3 years now and it works great for me. It makes sure the start battery is always fully charged and then starts charging the house. I monitor the batteries and if they start acting weird then I replace. While the boat is at the house I also have an onboard charger that I plug in. 

My boat had several wires connected to the single battery from factory. I found the wires that go to the starter and alternator and put them on the start battery all the other wires went to the house battery. everything works like a champ. one thing I did that the battery dr. didn't have was I put a switch inline so when the boat is at the house, and I plug in the onboard charger I can turn off the battery dr.  I put the switch in line for the ground wire (4) off the battery dr.  When I get in the boat, i flip the switch on and the battery dr. does the rest. 

I think I did a write up on my install. I'll see if I can find it. 

Edit: didn't find where I did a write up but Wylie-Tunes and I discussed it on this thread also. 

Edited by Troy

Troy    234

After researching Wylie's suggestion, it is a much better route but at an added cost and install headache.  if you have the time, talent and money go the Blue Sea route. This kit looks like it has what you would need. https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A

Would that be a good kit Wylie_Tunes?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..