Sign in to follow this  
Worxman

New boat advice

Worxman    3

We are looking to buy a new boat. Surfed the Centurion Fi21 and the Vi22 yesterday (70 and sunny, so with a wetsuit we were good, Lake Lanier near Atlanta), both are amazing boats and both had an identically awesome wave with just the stock ballast and PNP bags. We don't really care about the bells and whistles that much, so the dealer suggested the S211 or ZS212. Have found a couple of reviews, but wanted to see if I could get more input. Dealer said the wave is or can be as good as the Centurion, but it takes more work to get it dialed in. Trying to figure out if it is really worth the extra coin for the Centurion.

We are coming from a Volvo Forward drive Starcraft that we had maxed out with ballast, obviously just about every surf boat we've tried is better. 

Moomba Max and Helix...big waves, struggled with push even with all the PNP and 600 lbs of lead, cheap finish

Tige R21 or R22...awesome push and steep wave with just stock ballast. Loved the wave but playing around with the TAPS3, couldn't really change it a whole lot. Better finish than the Moomba

Tige RZX2...bigger version of above, better layout, nicer finish...still more of a one dimensional wave, but a really good one.

Centurion Vi22 and Fi21...huge wave with great push...stock ballast and all PNP bags. Easy to steepen up for surf style guys like me, easy to flatten out for skim style guys like my friends, easy to mellow out and elongate for my wife and kids. Didn't have as firm and pushy of a wave as Tige, but it was bigger, longer, started further back and gave you more room to play. High quality interior. One of the biggest things for us was how quiet the PCM engine is compared to the Raptor.

So, we've done a lot of research and riding and Centurion or Supreme is where it is at for us. Crawled in the Supreme S211, but ran out of time to surf it. Gone be too cold for our Southerners to surf anymore this year I think, so looking for some wave feedback and boat feedback on the Supremes. Thanks.

Cdifranco    463
48 minutes ago, Worxman said:

We are looking to buy a new boat. Surfed the Centurion Fi21 and the Vi22 yesterday (70 and sunny, so with a wetsuit we were good, Lake Lanier near Atlanta), both are amazing boats and both had an identically awesome wave with just the stock ballast and PNP bags. We don't really care about the bells and whistles that much, so the dealer suggested the S211 or ZS212. Have found a couple of reviews, but wanted to see if I could get more input. Dealer said the wave is or can be as good as the Centurion, but it takes more work to get it dialed in. Trying to figure out if it is really worth the extra coin for the Centurion.

We are coming from a Volvo Forward drive Starcraft that we had maxed out with ballast, obviously just about every surf boat we've tried is better. 

Moomba Max and Helix...big waves, struggled with push even with all the PNP and 600 lbs of lead, cheap finish

Tige R21 or R22...awesome push and steep wave with just stock ballast. Loved the wave but playing around with the TAPS3, couldn't really change it a whole lot. Better finish than the Moomba

Tige RZX2...bigger version of above, better layout, nicer finish...still more of a one dimensional wave, but a really good one.

Centurion Vi22 and Fi21...huge wave with great push...stock ballast and all PNP bags. Easy to steepen up for surf style guys like me, easy to flatten out for skim style guys like my friends, easy to mellow out and elongate for my wife and kids. Didn't have as firm and pushy of a wave as Tige, but it was bigger, longer, started further back and gave you more room to play. High quality interior. One of the biggest things for us was how quiet the PCM engine is compared to the Raptor.

So, we've done a lot of research and riding and Centurion or Supreme is where it is at for us. Crawled in the Supreme S211, but ran out of time to surf it. Gone be too cold for our Southerners to surf anymore this year I think, so looking for some wave feedback and boat feedback on the Supremes. Thanks.

Test drove a Lexus (VI/FI) and want to buy a Toyota (S211/S212)?    I have spent a ton of time on Tiges, the RZXs can throw a nice wave if you dial them in, but personally they are just not my cup of tea. I don't care for the interior etc.  Still I think the FI/VI is the best option of this bunch.   To me it honestly comes down to your financials, if I can afford al you listed and am not worried I would go with the FI all day every day. 

Moomba?  Come on, they have come a long long long way over the years and I actually like them, but they're not even in this conversation for me when were talking Centurion.

Worxman    3

Good analogy...Lexus vs Toyota...we just went through that exactly with my wife's new car...drove the Lexus and then bought the Toyota Highlander...same cars for the most part, not as much bling as the Lexus, but still a really nice car with a great ride.

2011V208    0

Definitely get out and Demo a ZS212 so you can have a direct comparison.  I have had a ZS232 since the end of March and I absolutely love it.  I too passed up on all the bells and whistles.  The surf setup on a ZS does take a little time to learn how to adjust and dial it up perfectly BUT its the same system as the Centurion.  The only difference is the 2019 ZS doesn't have one touch setup like a centurion BUT the 2020 does.  If your into surfing, definitely narrow it down to a ZS or a centurion but definitely get out and demo both.  The ability to adjust and create any type of wake is really what sets these boats apart from the competition.           

Edited by 2011V208

Worxman    3

Thanks for the response. Pulled the trigger on a 2020 Fi21. Easy to dial in the wave and quieter than the Supreme. 

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463
9 hours ago, Worxman said:

Thanks for the response. Pulled the trigger on a 2020 Fi21. Easy to dial in the wave and quieter than the Supreme. 

Glad you made this choice... The Supremes are nice but I’m a sucker for the bells and whistles. The FI/RI really are just a cut above the others 

2011V208    0
13 hours ago, Worxman said:

nice! congrats that was fast!  yes the silent stinger is a nice option.  Did you get a chance to demo the ZS?  Which engine did you get in your FI?

Worxman    3

Yep, demoed the ZS and it is a great boat, but the Fi21 was nicer, quieter, better wave and wave set up...plus the 21 works better for us. The 409 engine moved the Fi21 around like a dream...if I would have went Fi23, I might have went to the 450.

Cdifranco    463
16 hours ago, Worxman said:

Yep, demoed the ZS and it is a great boat, but the Fi21 was nicer, quieter, better wave and wave set up...plus the 21 works better for us. The 409 engine moved the Fi21 around like a dream...if I would have went Fi23, I might have went to the 450.

I get people say the 21 foot boat hurts resale.  You said you weren't concerned since you keep boats for a long time, I also have an older SV211 that's a 21 footer and I agree I love the size of it.   Its small enough I can turn into tight dock spaces and maneuver around, picking up fallen riders is super fast, the 343 motor in mine runs at 2800 RPMS surfing,  sips fuel, plus It throws a hell of a wave for its size.  Overall I wouldn't mind an FI21 as I also don't go out with 10 people on board, our usual crew is 5 max!  I see some of these boats with 17 people capacity and I am like I cant even fill 10 never mind another 7!

Worxman    3

Well, a turn of events happened that I won't get into...scratch the Fi21, pulled the trigger on a 2018 Supreme S226. Thanks for the responses.

Cdifranco    463
8 hours ago, Worxman said:

Well, a turn of events happened that I won't get into...scratch the Fi21, pulled the trigger on a 2018 Supreme S226. Thanks for the responses.

Oh come on now you have to tell us.

Cdifranco    463
21 hours ago, Worxman said:

Let's just say my local Centurion dealer and I didn't gel.

There is separate Supreme and Centurion dealers?   Lucky

Worxman    3

Just bought a new Ram 2500 Cummins 2 months ago! I think I'll spend some of the savings on new boards!