jtryon

New Typhoon owner questions

Troy. R    198
22 hours ago, codo511 said:

Troy, that is what I needed to see! I can now sleep easy! Thanks my friend. I grew up cuttin and spraying on a slalom ski, but now that I’m a bit older and married, my wife prefers to slow down a tad and get the friends out on the boat and do some surfin… our current ride is not built to hold all the weight of the sacks + people, and the new-new boats are just bonkers spendy… I feel like this could be the ticket. And perhaps be a crossover to allow me to do a bit of skiing too!  Add a few upgrades, an auto wake shaper, upgraded ballast to improve pump time, and with only ~200 hrs on her she will surely provide a decade+ of fun! 

Glad I could help.
Keep us posted when/if you buy that boat.

jtryon    24

i think i found the one you are looking at and that price is about average for the market.  a little high given the year, but close enough to what others are asking for similar ones including the 1' shorter and much more common Avalanche.

i would just verify that those are the true hours because it's very common for the meter to go out on these.  check the perfect pass screen if it has one and that should have the true engine hours stored.  i think the procedure is the menu+up arrow at the same time, then system info, then it's in that next menu somewhere.

codo511    2
22 hours ago, jtryon said:

i think i found the one you are looking at and that price is about average for the market.  a little high given the year, but close enough to what others are asking for similar ones including the 1' shorter and much more common Avalanche.

i would just verify that those are the true hours because it's very common for the meter to go out on these.  check the perfect pass screen if it has one and that should have the true engine hours stored.  i think the procedure is the menu+up arrow at the same time, then system info, then it's in that next menu somewhere.

Perfect pass stargazer hrs checked out... (good tip) - boat was meticulously kept!

We are just having a tough time with the sideswipe exhaust... it has the old SS with the orange tips.
We thought our vintage Natique purrrred a fair volume... this baby really hummed! and we do a lot of entertaining just puttin' to dinner etc... I've mentioned it in a few other feeds, but I've been doing some research and it looks like there are some after market options-- as anything become the Go-To Standard?

1. Cap off and remove the SS and install aft exhaust and FAE: Drilling holes into the hull and add a wash pipe.
https://www.freshairexhaust.com/
- Benefit would also be that i'd free up some space in the rear hatch so if i wanted to upgrade my rear ballast i'd be able to add more weight... 

@jtyron had a great link:
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/exhaust-modifications/centurion-sideswipe-conversion-r269/

- Does FAE down pipe effect wake shape/lip?
- Does FAE down pipe get in the way of automatic surf-tabs? 
- How about at speeds for slalom skiing? Spray?
- Does a single or dual exit port make a difference for engine performance? (it might add more strength)

2. In-line silencer:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578696
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert
- however i've been seeing mixed results if this actually reduces/muffles the engine Db...

Seriously other than that... she's a beaut. Just don't want to pick up a boat and have to turn around and sell a few months later because i cant hear my friends sitting across beam as we are cruising on the lake/river all day...

Again thanks!

jtryon    24
On 6/23/2022 at 10:10 AM, codo511 said:

Perfect pass stargazer hrs checked out... (good tip) - boat was meticulously kept!

We are just having a tough time with the sideswipe exhaust... it has the old SS with the orange tips.
We thought our vintage Natique purrrred a fair volume... this baby really hummed! and we do a lot of entertaining just puttin' to dinner etc... I've mentioned it in a few other feeds, but I've been doing some research and it looks like there are some after market options-- as anything become the Go-To Standard?

1. Cap off and remove the SS and install aft exhaust and FAE: Drilling holes into the hull and add a wash pipe.
https://www.freshairexhaust.com/
- Benefit would also be that i'd free up some space in the rear hatch so if i wanted to upgrade my rear ballast i'd be able to add more weight... 

@jtyron had a great link:
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/exhaust-modifications/centurion-sideswipe-conversion-r269/

- Does FAE down pipe effect wake shape/lip?
- Does FAE down pipe get in the way of automatic surf-tabs? 
- How about at speeds for slalom skiing? Spray?
- Does a single or dual exit port make a difference for engine performance? (it might add more strength)

glad to hear!  yes the SS get's LOUD around 15mph, that's why i scrapped it along with the fact that the side-to-side switching didn't work.  that link to wakegarage is actually mine, let me know if you have any questions on that project.  it's my 3rd season on it and no issues.  i just had a local fab shop finish the downpipe (FAE-style) for me for around $350, so all-in i'm well below the FAE conversion cost.  that being said, FAE is a good option for a plug-and-play conversion.

you're correct in that the side benefit of removing SS is gaining space for ballast, and typhoon's do need more weight than avy's.  i upgraded to these bags (link) this season and the surf wave is noticeably better than with the 1280's that i had prior.

Bigcatpt    408

The sideswipe is a deal breaker for me.  WAY too loud!  And the pipes run right through the side locker taking up valuable ballast space.  

If you want to do the mod and convert to FAE then it would not matter.  Its only money.  LOL  

Good luck!   

codo511    2

Hey @jtyron and @Bigcatpt you guys were totally right.  The sideswipe is LOUD... my wife was like nope love this boat but not getting it unless we get a FAE... called up the guys in Austin, 4 weeks later installed, Just dipped it in the water last night for the first cruise ! purrrrrrs like a kitten!!! 

Thanks for the heads up on FAE.  In love with this boat!

• Like 1

jtryon    24
22 hours ago, codo511 said:

PS: know anyone that needs some spare Sideswipe parts?

i asked the same when i replaced mine and had no takers.  did your valves work for left and right switching of the exhaust?  i'd keep those if so, but most have gone bad by now so they're not worth anything.