Sign in to follow this  
stgranger

2015 FS33 Software Issues - Boat is new to me

stgranger    0

I bought a 2015 FS33 last month and got to use it a few times before fall weather hit this year.  I am seeing a few strange issues with the touch screen control systems.  I'm guessing a firmware update might fix it, but haven't figured out if that is possible yet.  I have seen a bunch of people post that they "received new firmware from their dealer" but I can't find anywhere to check for updates or any instructions on how to do the update.  I bought used from a private seller, so I won't be getting anything from any dealer.  So my questions: 

1 - Is there a place to download software or firmware updates for the touchscreens?  And are their instructions for how to do this?  

2 - One of the issues is that when I first turn the ignition on and the screens boot, it immediately starts trying to fill the PnP ballasts and sets the ZeroOff system to 11mph.  It seems like it is defaulting to a strange preset when I first power on.  This is strange behavior right?  

Thanks in advance for any help on this.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the first year.  This boat is way more complex than my first Centurion, which was a 2006 SV230.  That one was easy :)

Cdifranco    463

Get in touch with a dealer.  They will get you the firmware and you can download it to a flash drive.   Also, hoping you only need a software update and not a new touch screen.  If you boat is still in warranty get in touch with a dealer or Fineline ASAP!

@DarksideR  Had an FS and it threw a great wave

Edited by Cdifranco

InfinitySurf    302

Yea, you need the software from dealer loaded onto a clear USB drive (no other programs or files on it), they should not charge anything to get you the software since Fineline sends it too them. Does seem likely that it needs an update since your behavior only happens when booting up, usually if your screen is going bad it will start "ghosting" or wont react to your touch commands.

Behind your helm, there is a wire that should be hanging down near steering wheel rack with USB end. There is a process on how to upload the software, little different when you have 2 screens as you update them both separately. Pretty easy really and if dealer do it or tell you how, someone here can explain.

HutchCanada    4

I have the same boat.  Software update didn't help.  Got a new screen under warranty.  The new one is worse.  Now having the screen wiring harness replaced as I'm not sure it's the screen as sometimes it will work perfectly.  This is a common problem with this screen, the good news (I guess) is that by restarting the boat the screen issues usually go away. Also check your batteries and all the connections 

I was having the "ghost touch" problems.  The ballast would start emptying and filling all the time.  Speed control would come on while just cruising.  Real pain!  Turning it off and starting back up would fix the problem for a few passes then it would start back up.  It took several months of going back and forth with Fineline trying different things.  We tried disconnecting batteries completely from the boat (hard reboot), software update (they emailed me the link to download to USB).  Finally got the new screen during the fall of 2019.  Worked great and easy to install (we are two hours from the dealer so I did it myself).  I have a 2015 SV233.  I was told that they had major issues with those screens when they first came out.  Supposedly they fixed the issues.

I hope you transferred the warranty into your name.  The warranty on those screens is 5 years.  If not they are 3,000 each.  They only give you like 90 days from the date of the bill of sale to transfer the warranty and you have to send a copy of the bill of sale to them with the paperwork.

Cdifranco    463
1 hour ago, jkscarborough said:

I was having the "ghost touch" problems.  The ballast would start emptying and filling all the time.  Speed control would come on while just cruising.  Real pain!  Turning it off and starting back up would fix the problem for a few passes then it would start back up.  It took several months of going back and forth with Fineline trying different things.  We tried disconnecting batteries completely from the boat (hard reboot), software update (they emailed me the link to download to USB).  Finally got the new screen during the fall of 2019.  Worked great and easy to install (we are two hours from the dealer so I did it myself).  I have a 2015 SV233.  I was told that they had major issues with those screens when they first came out.  Supposedly they fixed the issues.

I hope you transferred the warranty into your name.  The warranty on those screens is 5 years.  If not they are 3,000 each.  They only give you like 90 days from the date of the bill of sale to transfer the warranty and you have to send a copy of the bill of sale to them with the paperwork.

You got a good deal at 3000$ For the screen. Cost me 3600$ This summer to replace mine. 

22 hours ago, Cdifranco said:

You got a good deal at 3000$ For the screen. Cost me 3600$ This summer to replace mine. 

Luckily mine was covered under warranty.  They told me it would be 3k if not under warranty.  It was well worth the cost to transfer the warranty for sure!

HutchCanada    4
On 01/10/2019 at 1:07 AM, stgranger said:

I bought a 2015 FS33 last month and got to use it a few times before fall weather hit this year.  I am seeing a few strange issues with the touch screen control systems.  I'm guessing a firmware update might fix it, but haven't figured out if that is possible yet.  I have seen a bunch of people post that they "received new firmware from their dealer" but I can't find anywhere to check for updates or any instructions on how to do the update.  I bought used from a private seller, so I won't be getting anything from any dealer.  So my questions: 

1 - Is there a place to download software or firmware updates for the touchscreens?  And are their instructions for how to do this?  

2 - One of the issues is that when I first turn the ignition on and the screens boot, it immediately starts trying to fill the PnP ballasts and sets the ZeroOff system to 11mph.  It seems like it is defaulting to a strange preset when I first power on.  This is strange behavior right?  

Thanks in advance for any help on this.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the first year.  This boat is way more complex than my first Centurion, which was a 2006 SV230.  That one was easy :)

Did you get this sorted out?