Jbeams2    0

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to wake surfing, but have been wakeboarding my whole life. Just bought an 04 enzo sv230 and trying to dial in my surf wave.

Looking to buy a new surf board to help progress my skills. I feel my current board is too big. I am 6 foot and 175-180lbs. Currently riding a hyperlite broadcast 5'4".

Leaning towards a hybrid so I can learn some spins, but also airs.

Any suggestions on the best board and board size for myself for the money would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cdifranco    463

Look at Doomswell, Soulcraft, Kanuk, Chaos etc for surf boards.  All solid brands, great customer service at all of them also.   Some of the members here have some sort of affiliation with these brands so you'll definitely get biased "opinions". Most have their favorites and stick with them but you really cant go wrong with any of the above brands.   Forget about a "hybrid" if you are going to get into surfing and want to see progression in your skills.  Pick one of each surf vs skim.

At 180lbs I see you more on a 4'6-4'8" board.   Anything over 5' and youre really just playing with a long board.

Edited by Cdifranco

Jbeams2    0
2 hours ago, Cdifranco said:

Look at Doomswell, Soulcraft, Kanuk, Chaos etc for surf boards.  All solid brands, great customer service at all of them also.   Some of the members here have some sort of affiliation with these brands so you'll definitely get biased "opinions". Most have their favorites and stick with them but you really cant go wrong with any of the above brands.   Forget about a "hybrid" if you are going to get into surfing and want to see progression in your skills.  Pick one of each surf vs skim.

At 180lbs I see you more on a 4'6-4'8" board.   Anything over 5' and youre really just playing with a long board.

My current board that is 5'4".... could the large board size cause me issues with drifting back out of the pocket and not being able to pump back into the wave?

Troy    234

I (5'11", 170lbs) run a Doomswell Neo 4'6". My buddy (6'7" 220lbs of so) just bought a 4'8" Neo.  He surfed my Neo all the time until he just got his Neo. He tried a bunch of boards out and still liked how the Neo surfed and bought his own. Another buddy rode my Neo and ended up buying his own also, since he liked mine so much. 

Either way, everyone will have their own opinion. Try and find a place willing to let you try before you buy, and go that way. A Broadcast is a great learning/boat board. 

Edited by Troy

Jbeams2    0
17 hours ago, Troy said:

I (5'11", 170lbs) run a Doomswell Neo 4'6". My buddy (6'7" 220lbs of so) just bought a 4'8" Neo.  He surfed my Neo all the time until he just got his Neo. He tried a bunch of boards out and still liked how the Neo surfed and bought his own. Another buddy rode my Neo and ended up buying his own also, since he liked mine so much. 

Either way, everyone will have their own opinion. Try and find a place willing to let you try before you buy, and go that way. A Broadcast is a great learning/boat board. 

Is the Neo more of a hybrid or an airs board? Being 6 foot 175, you think I need a 4'6"?

Cdifranco    463
41 minutes ago, Jbeams2 said:

Is the Neo more of a hybrid or an airs board? Being 6 foot 175, you think I need a 4'6"?

The Neo is not a hybrid.    Doomswell's hybrid is the Mongrel, which is also a fun board.  For 2020 they are coming up with a new true skimboard the Hydro. It'll be  compression molded and pretty much bullet proof.  Rode this board a month back in testing and it is awesome!

The Neo is an awesome board, I personally ride a 4'6 Neo as my daily.  I am 5'7 175lbs. I ride aggressive surf style.

In my opinion the answer to your sizing question is dependent on a few factors. Your skill level, your boats wave and what you want, and of course weight.

Example I can ride 4'4"s all day, is it the right size board for me? No its not, its technically too small.  I can crush it and put in a little extra work because my boat throws a very solid wave with plenty of push and sometimes I want that smaller board to help with airs etc. A larger board will allow you more float as there is more volume, so if your waves sucks (assuming you have a Centurion and it doesn't) but if it does I would go a little on a larger size up.  Example if you're teetering between 4'6 and 4'8 I would go with 4'8.  The best advice is if possible ride both and see which one youre more comfortable on for your riding style also.   Where are you located?

Edited by Cdifranco

Jbeams2    0
4 hours ago, Cdifranco said:

The Neo is not a hybrid.    Doomswell's hybrid is the Mongrel, which is also a fun board.  For 2020 they are coming up with a new true skimboard the Hydro. It'll be  compression molded and pretty much bullet proof.  Rode this board a month back in testing and it is awesome!

The Neo is an awesome board, I personally ride a 4'6 Neo as my daily.  I am 5'7 175lbs. I ride aggressive surf style.

In my opinion the answer to your sizing question is dependent on a few factors. Your skill level, your boats wave and what you want, and of course weight.

Example I can ride 4'4"s all day, is it the right size board for me? No its not, its technically too small.  I can crush it and put in a little extra work because my boat throws a very solid wave with plenty of push and sometimes I want that smaller board to help with airs etc. A larger board will allow you more float as there is more volume, so if your waves sucks (assuming you have a Centurion and it doesn't) but if it does I would go a little on a larger size up.  Example if you're teetering between 4'6 and 4'8 I would go with 4'8.  The best advice is if possible ride both and see which one youre more comfortable on for your riding style also.   Where are you located?

I am located in Louisville Ky.

Thanks for the advice man. Very helpful. I am looking for somewhat of a hybrid. Something I can do some airs on but also skim and spin. Any suggestions?

Cdifranco    463
1 hour ago, Jbeams2 said:

I am located in Louisville Ky.

Thanks for the advice man. Very helpful. I am looking for somewhat of a hybrid. Something I can do some airs on but also skim and spin. Any suggestions?

Get a Mongrel as a hybrid.... Then a Neo to focus on surf style.

Jbeams2    0
20 minutes ago, Cdifranco said:

Get a Mongrel as a hybrid.... Then a Neo to focus on surf style.

Can you do airs and skim type spins on a mongrel?

fstclyz    0

Hi guys.  Just bought a Ri257 and new to boating.  I can wakesurf ok but haven't done it much since I never had a boat.  I do efoil, surf, skateboard, paddle etc so it's really me just getting used to the motions etc.  Would the Neo work as a board for me but also for people learning like my wife?  I can buy a beginner board if needed.  Thx

dententh    0

Recently bought a Driftsun Throwdown Wakesurf Board. It's perfect for beginners. 

FargoDawg    8

I got a Jeyo Surf board this summer, its really a nice board.   and very cost effective, the guy makes them in his garage I think.    we really enjooyed it