brkoch

Considering buying a 2007 Typhoon C4

brkoch    1

Hey all.  I have spent a fair amount of time perusing the forums related to Typhoons in the last day or two.  I have found a 2007 Typhoon C4 with only 82 hours on it that I am considering.  I don't own a boat currently but have spent a lot of time in and behind Mastercrafts.  I know what it takes to surf behind an older Maristar 230 VRS, as well as mid 2000's X30's and X45's.  I want to make sure I won't be disappointed by a Typhoon.  The one I am looking at has the standard factory ballast with two rear and a single center tank.  It has a velcro attached wake shaper on the starboard side.  I have never seen one of those before and would prefer one that moves since my wife surfs goofy, but that is an easy fix.  

I am curious why there aren't many Typhoons on the market.  Were there not many made?  Are they a good quality boat?  What would be a good price for one with that few of hours?  NADA shows average in the $36K range, but that is probably assuming much higher hours on a boat of that age.

I have seen a lot about money spent to customize boats with pumps, wakeshapers, and added ballast.  Is all that necessary or just cool to have?  I would like to not spend a ton of extra so I want to know what I might be getting into.  

Any thoughts you guys have as Centurion owners would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by brkoch

Bigcatpt    408

Some of the older Typhoons had the stepped hull in the back.  If it has that....RUN.  It will not make a good wave.  

You will also need much more that factory ballast in it to surf.  It will require some customization to do it right.  

Does it have the walk-thru transom or wrap seating?  

What motor?  

brkoch    1

It has the wrap seating and the 330hp motor.  What do you mean about the step hull?  It appears to have a step in the sides that fades as it comes to the back.  I haven't gone to see it yet in person so just speaking in relation to the pictures online.

rhino89523    34

I think the step was gone in that year. Ballast may not be required but will give you a better wave. My shaper is a suction cup glass handler off of Amazon, a set of stainless steel shelf brackets, a cutting board from Walmart, some carriage bolts from home depot and 2 deep sockets to set the plate off at an angle, and a $6 leash off of amazon....I'm wrapped up in it a little over $20 and it makes swapping from side to side about a 2 minute process. 

That said I think I am going to build an automated slapper system this winter.

brkoch    1

You have any pictures of your shaper?  I have used a Swell brand one on a Mastercraft and it works quite well.  Your Avalanche is just a foot shorter but same hull correct?  How much ballast do you use?

Troy    234

I would love a Typhoon! My Avy is awesome but the extra foot would be awesome.  Do custom sacs that fill the locker and run up under the seats, list the boat and enjoy the awesome wave without spending a fortune on fuel. 

Link to the boat? Power tab? Perfect pass? condition? Prop? 

brkoch    1

It's mostly a stock boat and it is located at a dealer.   It has low hours and is in great shape.  That's part of why I was trying to gauge its actual value.  There just aren't many for sale out there.  

https://www.marineworld.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7340322&p=2&at=boat|personal watercraft&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory#gallerySlider

rhino89523    34

Mine is the Avy with the walk through, I bought it for 20G at the end of the season (like now) the walk through drives the price down and it had scratches through the stickers into the gel coat that allowed me to talk it down some more. I took all the stickers off and buffed the scratches but it is still a walk through.

I run the bag that runs up under the seats on the regular wave side of the boat (port) we run a #350 I think it is under the walkway and an #800 in the walkway. I fill to level and use the shaper to go side to side. We are 50/50 surfers just in the family and about the same among friends so being able to go side to side quick is important. I have a bow sack but rarely use it. I normally have enough weight from people up front and the boat seems to like dragging it's tush a little to make a good wave.    

h2ohangtime    4

We bought our '07 Typhoon just about a year ago this week.  If surfing is your priority, you won't be disappointed as long as you have some additional ballast to throw in it.  I took out the hard tanks and replaced them with 750's, but I'm thinking of upgrading to 1000's eventually and putting some additional weight further forward to extend the pocket a bit.  We surf with even weight (both rear 750's and the 250-ish center tank full) and we also use a homemade shaper/suck-gate that cleans the wave up pretty well. Wave height is about hip-to-waist-high (I'm 6'0") depending on how many people are in the boat and has good push.  

Going from an '02 Super Air Nautique to the Typhoon, I'm not impressed with the wakeboard wake on the Typhoon, but I guess that's a matter of comparison.  There are several things I want to upgrade, starting with the crappy ballast pump system.  Eventually, I'll have a fill pump for each bag, but for now it uses the stock single fill pump/sprinkler valve manifold and multiple empty pumps.  

To clarify what was mentioned above, the 2007 has a STEPPED hull (fore to aft, around the middle of the hull), but it doesn't have the transom cutouts of the previous Concourse era.  The transom cutouts are what you want to avoid.  Good luck with your search/purchase.

brkoch    1

h2o  - Thank you for the info.  I read through your post from last year when you were looking at buying one.  It's great to know that you have been happy with it.  We surf and wakeboard both, but have been surfing more the last couple of years.  The boat I am looking at is also yellow, but has the teak deck on it.  Do you mind sharing an idea of how many hours it had and what you spent on yours for comparison?  Since there aren't many Typhoons out there, it is hard to see what they are going for.  If you don't wanna share, no problem, I get it.   

Troy    234

Couple bargaining things I see. 

No adjustable wakeplate.

Rip in the starboard rear corner seat. (Yellow piping to grey bottom, both of my rear corner seats are pulling at the seam like that)

The swim platform brackets are the old aluminum style and they will eventually crack and break. The Teak platform might be a lot lighter than the fiberglass so it might take longer to break, but I bet they will break in the near future. 

The "Bling" package wasn't replaced with the chrome ones, it still has the polished aluminum ones, and they corrode around the screw holes. 

The bimini looks to be aftermarket or bent. I have the same tower and all the attachment poles are supposed to be straight. the factory bimini for that tower is super easy and good sized.  

What are all the extra clamps on the tower?

I bet the carpet backing is shot, mine is and mine has been indoors since I bought it new in 2010, it is a late build 08.

Just a quick look observations. Hope it helps. Wish I bought a typhoon. LOL

Troy    234

And Look at the HIN. Does it start with an NC or CA? NC boats of that era seem to be better built. Not plywood for seat bottoms and such. just another thing to look at. If I was to guess, since it is on a boatmate trailer that it is a NC boat. For me that would add value also. 

h2ohangtime    4
3 hours ago, brkoch said:

h2o  - Thank you for the info.  I read through your post from last year when you were looking at buying one.  It's great to know that you have been happy with it.  We surf and wakeboard both, but have been surfing more the last couple of years.  The boat I am looking at is also yellow, but has the teak deck on it.  Do you mind sharing an idea of how many hours it had and what you spent on yours for comparison?  Since there aren't many Typhoons out there, it is hard to see what they are going for.  If you don't wanna share, no problem, I get it.   

I won't give exact numbers but for retail, I think what they're asking is pretty well in line.  If you can get out of there for $36-37k, you're getting a pretty decent deal.

brkoch    1

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Troy, The boat is a couple hours away so I haven’t seen it in person yet.  I will definitely look those items over closely if we make the trip.  It’s always great to have another set of eyes to catch that kind of stuff  

h2o, I Wasn’t trying to be nosy at all. Thanks for giving me an idea on price.  Hopefully they have some negotiating room, but I haven’t gotten that far yet. 

• Like 1