mschlee

Avalanche/enzo vs modern surf boats

mschlee    0

been looking around the used market for a boat to surf behind. it would be used for surfing and wakeboarding. i have a big family 30' bow rider for hanging out, so just want a watersports dedicated boat. how do the mid-2000's avalanche/enzos compare to modern boats? just looking for a great wake as i already have the creature comforts but hate to spend north of $100k if i can get a good wake from an older boat

thanks in advance

1jeffgignac    7

If there is one thing I have learned this summer, is that you can still get a hell of a wake/wave out of older boats. I have an 09 Centurion Elite V with no frills but perfect pass and a 250 hard tank ballast in the center of the boat that came stock. 

There are so many aftermarket upgrades that are available now that were not when I got my boat back in 2010. I have used aftermarket ballast and wakeshapers to get my surf wave dialed in really well. You can replace trim plates with A-plates that do wonders for the goofy surf wave that can either be made r purchased. Trim tabs are also available for level weighted surfing like newer boats. 

All of this to say, as long as the hull shape is tried and true such as an avy/enzo, much of the technology can be added to your older platform that are reasonably affordable compared to purchasing a 100K plus boat.

• Like 1

mschlee    0

thanks Jeff. really like your suggestion on tabs. i'm going to start looking for a used mid 2000's with an eye toward setting it up over the winter - ballasts and tabs. will have to factor into the price but given that i just want a great wake without all the frills, an older boat with upgraded shaping tech seems like the ticket.

thanks very much for the input 

1jeffgignac    7

Wakemakers.com has been a really good resource with videos of how ballast systems all get plumbed in and have all of the products that you need to either do yourself or have a dealer install for you.

Here is a post that totally sold me on InfinityWave surf tabs. Pretty extensive review by a dude who is everywhere in this forum. I've spoken to Eric at InfinityWave about getting them for my boat and he walked me through every consideration I would need to make. He knows Centurion models and hulls well and would be able to get you set up nicely in the offseason. That is the biggest item on my to-do list for the winter.

mschlee    0

yah, read through the threads. looks really appealing. now i'm going to have to hunt for a boat. hopefully more come available after labor day out here in the north east. cant use it till next year anyway so i'll hang out an wait.....

thanks for the help - you really saved me going back and forth on newer vs little older+tabs/ballasts.

Cdifranco    463
1 hour ago, mschlee said:

yah, read through the threads. looks really appealing. now i'm going to have to hunt for a boat. hopefully more come available after labor day out here in the north east. cant use it till next year anyway so i'll hang out an wait.....

thanks for the help - you really saved me going back and forth on newer vs little older+tabs/ballasts.

I have a 2013 Enzo in the north east if you’re interested. 

InfinitySurf    302

@1jeffgignac is right on the money, those InfinityWave surf tabs were the ticket for my boat!

You cant go wrong with an Enzo or Avy hull, endless possibilities....and almost zero depreciation in the years you are looking if you maintain it well (least not in the current economy). Also tons of info on this forum about them. I would agree that you will get the best deals in the winter, just be sure to have it checked out and engine ran if you can't lake test it due to ice...even if you gotta pay to re-winterize its worth the money to know all is good before plunking down the cash. Good luck

lyonboarder    4

The BEST boat is the one that is paid for.  I have an 07 Avy and love it.  You can do everything with it.  Yea, you can spend 3x as much for a new boat with all the bells and whistles, but your money may be better spent else where.  Yea, I drool at the new boats, them remember mine is paid for and maintenance costs are not that much.  We surf and board just fine behind our boat.

Edited by lyonboarder
  • Like 2

mschlee    0

exactly my thoughts on the economics front.

also, if i already have the luxury liner for the wife and her friends i just want a bare bones wake making machine for my me, my son and a couple friends. 

you guys are awesome. thanks for the tips

mschlee    0

hey franco, tried to pm about the 211 but looks like you are blocked. a little smaller than what i was thinking but doesnt hurt to chat.

lmk how to contact

Cdifranco    463
5 hours ago, mschlee said:

hey franco, tried to pm about the 211 but looks like you are blocked. a little smaller than what i was thinking but doesnt hurt to chat.

lmk how to contact

Shoot me a text or call 617 968   09zerosix.  If its going to be just you and a couple friends the 211 is perfect. I am usually out with my self and 4 others, no kids and the boat is the perfect size, once you get up to 7-10 people is when you feel the need for that extra space. Boats small enough to be able to turn right around and pick up riders, still handles chop well and the wave is the typical Centurion wave which is always money.

bomoseen avy    45

Just saying nowadays pretty tuff to find a good surf wave below 30K. I had my Avy for almost 10 seasons. Plenty of love and upgrades (and hours north of 1K) but ended up selling for only $4K less than I purchased her for-and it was still an awesome boat. I'll always love that girl...

Troy    234

Bought my 08 Avy New in 2010. Wave is still awesome. I have 9 years of playing with my wave, every year I try something else to improve the wave and it usually does.  My buddy just purchased a 2016 SV233 (ram, cats and quicksurf tabs). His wave is good and we are still trying to find the perfect setup for his boat, but I think my wave is taller, longer and more push. Again mine has been tinkered with for 9 years and his just a hand full of times out. Listed wave is much better than the tab wave on his and mine is always listed. 

If you need to swap back and forth quickly, get a new Centurion (Ri, Fi or Vi). If your family all rides goofy or regular then get an older boat, list it and run it and save a bunch of cash.  

• Like 1

rhino89523    34

I have an AVY and sometimes get boat envy, we run with a ghetto homemade wake gate and I know there are better waves out there but I have not seen any on the lake that look substantially better than ours, or at least in proportion i.e. ten times more expensive boat doesn't even come close to 10 times better wave.

My Father in Law rents a house on the lake for a week every year. Two really new wake boats were tied up together and we surfed by them (not real close, I'm not that guy) both my daughters will surf my board together and they actually kind of rip like this. On Friday night we went to get Pizza and these 2 guys came walking over to us while we were waiting. They asked if we were the people with the blue boat and if these were the 2 girls surfing together. When I said yes they complimented my daughters on their tandem rip session and then  started drilling me on speed etc. and how I was making our wave.

I think some of these older boats have potential to make a really good wave if you mess with it until you are happy. You need to sort of get a formula down and then make slight tweeks for added people in the boat and for me altitude. I don't have all the digital stuff or any of the really cool gizmos, but it felt pretty great to have guys with much nicer boats ask me what we were doing.

Our season is pretty short, I have a great life but cant justify or afford a 100G plus boat for a 3-4 month season. I could maybe do just the boat but then all the other toys go Bye Bye and I am sitting around for 8 months wishing summer would come, which I do anyway.

Jake707    171

I agree, you don't need a new boat to have fun. If your funds allow you to cash out one and not break the bank more power to you and Id say do it. But I would never advise to finance 100K boats haha. 50-60K range ok that's your average car these days and you can recover fairly quickly I would think.

I like my Elite and would be set but with the 95" beam and 21.5' length Im wanting bigger just to spread out a bit. Problem is most older centurions are just longer in the bow not the cabin, until you get into the Sv233/244 and FS, but those are only a few years old and up there in price.

automated ballast and perfect pass are the only gadgets I would say you "need" for that long term boat feel which you can add to any

superdtf    68

We still slay with an '08 - '10Enzo and enzo sacs from wakemakers and a switchblade.  The newer boats are a bit better, and easier, but you would have to get into 2013 models to do it.

doug743    53

having cats on the boat is a big deal.  I had a 230, 244 and now a fx44, the cats really make a difference.  My 09 230 was awesome but most are looking to keep the list down, so newer boats really cut extreme list and make it easier and safer to operate.  I still list my boat, and like the wave better than the quick surf stuff.  tried to dial in the quick surf on my 44 and still like the list set up

get a 2014 or 15  244 or fx and you will be very happy,  guessing the new FI line is the same boat,  lots a great choices in todays market

superdtf    68

My buddy has a newer (2016 I think) Wakesetter.  He still prefers it when I show up, slam up one side, move the people in a bossy voice, and take the "Malibu wake stuff" mostly out of play.  Just up/down trim, and tiny bit of surfgate.