Bobbyearl

2003 hurricane quit running, won’t crank

Bobbyearl    0

Out on the lake yesterday slowed down to pick up a fallen rider and the boat shut off. Tried to restart the boat all it does is turn over. Both batteries are good the boat will crank if you push the button on the shifter and pull it back but as soon as you push it back the neutral position engine shuts down any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks

InfinitySurf    302

Likely the neutral safety switch is bad, I think you can jumper the 2 studs on the switch to test it. Possible something in the throttle is bad too I suppose tho that seems less likely

Jake707    171

so it will crank over or it wont? haha

Sounds like the N safety switch to me too, pushing the button in bypasses that switch I believe. Will it run like that?

Bobbyearl    0
17 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

so it will crank over or it wont? haha

Sounds like the N safety switch to me too, pushing the button in bypasses that switch I believe. Will it run like that?

The boat will crank if the button on the shifter is pressed in and shifter pulled back but with the shifter in neutral all it does is turn over it won’t crank 

Jake707    171

Huh? Maybe I’m the oddball here but “cranking”and “turning over” are the same thing to me and mean the motor is turning over with the starter like it’s trying to start.