Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

PCM Service Advisory. Updated engine oil specs

InfinitySurf    302

Pretty interesting, PCM just put out a service advisory recently (July 2019) to change the recommended oil for many of the engines including past years. I have the 6.0L ZR409 and it includes all 6.0L engines along with the 6.2L and the 5.3. (Link below)

Now saying that SAE 5W-30 DEXOS GEN 2 formula oil should be used moving forward. I use Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 for my 2 vehicles, guess I will be switching the boat over to this brand now too in the 5W-30.

Looks like this update includes most engines except the GT-40, the 5.7 and the 8.1L engines, for these engines they still recommend the 15W-40 "GF-4/SM" but the specs they list are impossible to find now.

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/general-nautique-discussion/590566-pcm-service-advisory-updated-oil-specifications

Dreamer    96

That’s an interesting change. I emailed pcm when I purchased my 2014 Enzo with the 409 engine and they recommended Rotella 15w40 back then.

Jlagos    23

Funny, they have always been adament about using conventional motor oil, but have obviously changed to synthetic. Its a good thing if they are willing to reassess there recommendations. Infinity, I read the thread you linked from planet natique and it appears they have some recs that I think are a little off. If you want to follow the change in the advisory you need to be aware that there are different dexos formulation. The pennzoil you mention and the Shell Rotella Gas truck (someone mentioned on planet natique) are dexos 1 gen 2 but both are "dexos 1" none-the-less. This formulation has the dexos with a green label and a small number 1 within the green square. It is meant for purely gas powered engines. The "dexos 2" has the label in blue and has a 2 in the square. The dexos 2 can be used in gas AND DIESEL engines. I suspect it may be more tolerant of the engine loads generated by surfing. It`s interesting they chose a lower viscosity oil that flows more freely when hot and cold. I found a link that lists the dexos 2 formulations ....     https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos2/index.html

You may want to let the bretheren at planetnatique be aware of the different formulations.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Thank you for the heads up, I will share this! I bought some Mobile 1 last night and will double check it to be sure its the 2, what you said makes total sense but I was not aware of it. 

Jlagos    23

Infinity, I need to recant everything I said. You are correct and I misread the advisory. The recommendation is "dexos gen 2" and not dexos 2. So it will have the green dexos label. I need to delete my prior thread somehow.

InfinitySurf    302

10/4, sometimes you can edit the thread if its not been too long since posting. 

Dreamer    96

I just did an oil change and used Mobil 5w30 with the blue Gen2 logo. After 650 hours the engine never used a drop of the 15w40 Rotella. Hopefully it doesn’t consume any of this thinner oil.

InfinitySurf    302

I had the same thought in switching to the lighter weight oil.

Also wondered about the engine oil filter.....been using the FL-1A Motorcraft filter. Thinking it will be fine to keep using since I change oil every 40-50hrs but since the new oil is synthetic, wonder if there is a better option for that too