1jeffgignac    7

I have been combing through the forums trying to find a good project log of a start to finish stereo overhaul. The numerous threads out there have all given me a better understanding of the workings of speakers, amps, subs, but I still had a few more questions.

BASELINE: Sony receiver with built-in amp mounted by steering wheel. 4 in-boat Skylon speakers that came stock on my 2009 Elite V C4. I do not know any details on the existing system and have contacted Fineline for some specs on what was included with this model. Newer smart phones will only connect through AUX cord in the receiver and I would like to upgrade to a receiver with Bluetooth for less cables running through the helm.

OBJECTIVE: I am not worried about blasting music 70' back to a wakeboarder at the end of the line. This is 90% to achieve better in boat audio when at running speed. The existing four speakers have to be cranked all the way to hear while running for those in the main cabin to hear the tunes. Bow hears virtually nothing. I'd like for cabin to be much higher quality without turning the system all the way up in addition to adding 2 speakers to the open bow for those passengers enjoyment. 10% concern: Down the road I want to consider tower speakers so our surfers can enjoy the tunes with better quality as well. Summary: Replace existing receiver with one that allows for bluetooth connection, replace existing 4 in-boat speakers in main cabin with 4 higher output speakers w/ LED, install two bow speakers of equal output w/ LED, add amp for sufficient power for 6 speakers.

Questions:

• Which receiver are people using with good experience? Any benefit to having the same brand amps, speakers as the receiver? Only need is bluetooth functionality.
  • I've read guidance on proper amp power all suggesting 1.5-2x channel power for RMS rating of speakers being used. I would love guidance on how many channels are appropriate for what is essentially a 6 speakers system with no tower speakers or subwoofers. When thinking about expanding the system in the future, how will adding tower speakers play a role in amp selection (more channels)?
  • Rev 10's are the most suggested tower speakers on the forum, what is a proper in boat speaker? I do not need the best sounding boat on the lake, just simply an upgrade to not feel like my existing speaker are going to blow every time we want to hear our music clearly when running 20mph+.
  • I am reasonably hands on and have a climate controlled storage area with which to do these changes myself over the winter. Is cutting in two speaker holes for the bow and installing myself (w/ a partner) a reality? Suggestions are welcome for specific tools for cutting, installation tips, etc.
  • What are the increased battery needs of the system? I am going to also be installing a 2nd battery with perco switch and am thinking about whether any components should run off their own battery.

Any comments are welcome and appreciated!

JDG

Wylie_Tunes    146
1 hour ago, 1jeffgignac said:

I do not know any details on the existing system and have contacted Fineline for some specs on what was included with this model.

Does not matter how many flees you can stack on the head of a pin, when the plan is to toss the pin anyway. 

As to 1st ??? No benefit performance or sound quality advantage to having all the components from the same brand. Brands? Kicker, Wet Sounds, Clarion, Fusion, Aquatic AV, Rockford, JL Audio all make solid units with various features. Some are traditional single DIM, some have over sized faces. Some are gauge style and others are more square or rectangle. 

#2 A 4 chnl will easily drive 3 pair of in-boats. Perfect for one bow pair and 2 main cabin pair. A 6 chnl will also work great. For future additions, I would suggest a 5 or 6 chnl amp and consider a mild woofer to round out the in-boats sound quality. With amplified in-boats and the addition of a 3rd pair, the added bass will be great. As to future tower speakers, I would suggest a separate amp for them, once the time comes. There are some 6 and 8 chnl amps that can work to power in-boats and towers, but you really need to have a very specific plan in place. So if you are not sure about what those future tower speakers will be, leave that for then.

#3 proper in-boat? Once that fits, fits the budget, you like the look and sound of. Go with a quality built marine speaker. 

#4 yes

#5 Depending on use, there is certainly going to be an increase in amperage draw. If the boat does not already have a dual bank setup, id factor that into the plan. 

• Like 1

1jeffgignac    7

Thanks for the thorough response, @Wylie_Tunes!

As I like to keep things simple, I have found a Kicker package that includes six 65 RMS 4  ohm speakers, a Kicker KMA300.4 (75x4, 150x2) amp, and the necessary wiring for $1,000. I could probably piece meal it together for cheaper but the convenience is worth it to me. Lights come with the LED feature which is unnecessary, but cool. All reviews indicate that the amp has plenty of power for these 6 speakers but as previously stated, this is the part of the boat I know the least about. Anybody have this setup? 6 speaker plus amp package

Digital Media only receivers are much cheaper than what I was expecting and should only run me $200 or less for a highly rated marine grade receiver from Crutchfield. Sony Digital Only Receiver (Bluetooth/USB/Aux)

That should pretty much take care of my 1st phase stereo project. I will post pics and updates as the items are received and installed. Now the only question is do I wait and do it over the winter when the boat is on the trailer or do I tackle the project with the boat still up in the lift and get to enjoy it a bit this year???

Wylie_Tunes    146

Thats a $1000 package that normally retails for $790 for amp and speakers. Id want to know what im getting install incidental wise, for the difference. "automotive" amp install kits used in boats, typically leave you with unusable pieces and sourcing others. 

mikeyr114    1

I just upgraded my source unit to the wetsounds mc-1 and like it alot. Bought it around the holidays last year so much cheaper than full retail. 

1jeffgignac    7
3 hours ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

Thats a $1000 package that normally retails for $790 for amp and speakers. Id want to know what im getting install incidental wise, for the difference. "automotive" amp install kits used in boats, typically leave you with unusable pieces and sourcing others. 

Very good question. I was thinking that if it only cost me an extra $50 I would just order the package but it sounds like it will be significantly more than that. Several hundred is another fat sac or other accessory.